Kudos: 34

Pending Adoption (Update required) - Update button missing

[ Edited ]

i have a controller of version 5.10.17 and a lot of devices of version 4.0.21, all running fine.

Now I tried to add 2 brand new UAP-AC-M devices and they properly apear as „Pending Adaption (Update required). This makes sense, since the factory build of 3.7.x is not suported anymore.

The problem is that both adapt and update button are missing. This means that I need to ssh into the devices and do a manual update. Once updated the adapt button is available.

Is this a bug or am I missing something?

Kudos: 1

Re: Pending Adoption (Update required) - Update button missing

Exactly the same situation here! All brand new devices (USG, Cloud key, AC Pro and 2 8port switches). After plugin in the cloud key, and updating it, I had to manually SSH into each device and upgrade.

I noticed another thread that has a workaround, but that is still way out of most people skill level: https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switching/USG-firmware-upgrade-from-UI-and-download-with....

I would say this is indeed a bug. It turns a product that can be installed by everyone into a product that requires severe ssh/linux/shell kung-fu in order to become operational.

Kudos: 4052
Solutions: 1043

Hello @BFLB @r-win,

The buttons should popup at the right when you however over the device.

Cache the firmware for the devices on the controler if the upgrade fails.

Settings > Maintenance > Firmware

Regards,
Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK

Thank you for your reply.

I know where they should be, but they're not there. The whole Actions column is missing from the device list. And since this is a new setup, you cannot cache the firmware: there are no devices adopted, so the device list under Settings -> Maintenance -> Firmware is empty.

Only option seems to be a manual installation.

Hello @r-win,

Are you seeing errors in the browser console?

What browser ( version ) are you using?

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
Kudos: 3

Exact same issue here!! 

Brand new setup, have done many setups, however no Adopt button, or update button, cannot cache firmware as no devices have been added yet, everything is empty... 

and this is not a web browser error but just for fun and argument sakes.... ensured all browsers are the latest current version, tried firefor, chrome, edge AND IE, same results!

EXTREMLY FRUSTRATING!!!

@AmazedMender16 wrote:

Are you seeing errors in the browser console?

What browser ( version ) are you using?

Same as the massage above, except that I've only tried Chrome. 

I also installed systems like this a few times, but never as cumbersome as this setup. 

Hello @r-win @rpmcompu,

Did you take a look at the browser console?

Regards,

Glenn R.

Actually, yes, I had it open because I suspected AJAX calls and wanted to verify them. Saw nothing that looked like the source for this problem.
Kudos: 3

Try This...

go to: Settings -> Maintenance -> Services and Hit "Check Firmware Update"

wait about 5 min or so, check back to the "Devices" section and see if you get the buttons....

I suddenly got the buttons and I beleive this is what worked for me... a bit of a round about way and completley stumbled on it, but seems to have worked.

Hello @rpmcompu,

Glad that worked for you!

Regards,

Glenn R.

Sounds good! Will try this when I've got access to this site again!

Hello @r-win,

Try incognito mode and another browser.

Regards,

Glenn R.

I also hit the same issue as others above.

I had to SSH into the USG and perform the firmware upgrade that way before the "Adopt" action was available.

What was the most frustrating part of the above though was the fact that the entire "Actions" column was not visible, even though the column customizations option "Always show actions" was checked.

Thus, as a new user I was googling around to try and find how to show the actions column and/or adobt button, which wasn't the actual cause of the issue, the USG firmware needed updating before the Adobt button and Actions column would be visible 😞

-----

Once I upgraded the USG firmware I thne came accross this thread, I followed the above noted steps to "Check for firmware updates", clicked that, and then ~5 minutes later was when the "Adobt and Upgrade" and "Upgrade" links appeared in the "Actions" column (even though that column doesn't actually included "Actions" in the colum header.

Screenshot:

@rpmcompu wrote:

Try This...

go to: Settings -> Maintenance -> Services and Hit "Check Firmware Update"

That button is disabled.

@AmazedMender16 wrote:

Try incognito mode and another browser.

Also no dice, unfortunately

@netweb wrote:
What was the most frustrating part of the above though was the fact that the entire "Actions" column was not visible, even though the column customizations option "Always show actions" was checked.

Exacty this! Took me quite a while to get the system up and running, but it seems to run stable now! Glad you got it sorted as well, but this seems like an issue that needs to be solved.

[ Edited ]

I think half the problem is (putting my web developer hat on) is that because the "actions" column doesn't actually have the column header when you hit that "Always show actions" option the rows move a couple of pixels instead of the ~30px they would move if the column header was actually there and because the rows under the column at this point in time are empty that is why the data in the table hardly moves.

Unfi-Devices-Actions-Column-Header.png

Hello @netweb,

Welcome to the community!

They removed the column and made it popup when you hover over the devices, you can stick the actions tab with the way u showed in your previous post.

Regards,

Glenn R.

[ Edited ]

Thanks for th welcome Gleen 😄

> They removed the column and made it popup when you hover over the devices,

It does not do this, I hovered, I huffed, and I puffed trying to make this column appear, it does not until the device is flagged that there is a software update available, then, and only then does the row data in the "actions" column get populated with any data value.

Per the above, the fact the "actions" column doesn't have a "actions" `th` element the tables data in both the table header `th` and table row `tr` data is "empty", with this behaviour when you click the "Always show actions" option the table does not update because there is no data to update, the table moves a couple of pixels but that is it. If the column header did include "ACTIONS` in the header the header would at least show a visible indication that the column exists even though the device row data would still be empty.

That would have been an excellent hint for me in my scenario, at least I would have been able to use that information to then start researching why that row data might be empty instead of my searching for why the column does not exist at all.

Finally, I'm fortunate enough to not have any #a11y accessibility requirements and any user who does have #a11y browser aids such as a screen reader they would never know that the "actions" column was only being hidden.

So regardless of the issue, more than likely bug of that device row data value being empty the row header should always be included per this screenshot:

Unfi-Devices-Actions-Column-Header-2.png

Hello @netweb,

You don't see anything appearing in the browser console?

Regards,

Glenn R.

> You don't see anything appearing in the browser console?

I didn't look at the time, nor should I have to (Let alone what a screen reader would dump out for #a11y users)