Scheduled maintenance: Community will be offline Monday June 17th, 1:00 AM - 6:00 AM (PT)

Planning a mesh network - what product is the best for my case ?

Hello all,

i need to implement a mesh network to bring the connection from the main building, into a two closed porch.

I have create a little representation:

proj.png

1) The main building with the connection. The main router is on the top floor.

2) First porch that i need to bring the connection

3) Second porch that i need to bring the connection too

I think that i can buy an UAP-AC-M with UC-CK and two UAP-AC-LR.

I can place the UAP-AC-M in the top of the 1st building and plug in to the main router with ethernet cable, then connect the two UAP-AC-LR in mesh.

I'm new in Ubiquiti devices and i want to be safe that this solution can work.

Anyone can confirm that this 3 devices are what i need to do this job ?

It's possible to use only the UAP-AC-M with UC-CK but without the 2 UAP-AC-LR (I need to cover approx 100 mt - but the 2 porch are like a "wooden house" and maybe the signal can be too weak inside it) ?

If someone have a suggestion, write it to me.

Thank you in advice Icon Razz

Kudos: 4861
Solutions: 1284

Re: Planning a mesh network - what product is the best for my case ?

Hello @dave86020,

Don't use UAPs to wireless uplink buildings... Get AirMAX Radios for the link. ( requires clean line of sight )

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK

Thank you @AmazedMender16 for your fast reply.

Why i shouldn't use UAPs ? The distance is very low and i don't have clear LOS (some vegetations)

Kudos: 4861
Solutions: 1284

Hello @dave86020,

Because they are not designed to create a bridge between buildings.. it's out of the scope of wireless uplinks ( it is possible but if you run into issues everyone is gonna say you should have used AirMAX even UniFi Support will tell you that )

I recommend posting in the AirMAX section with some pictures of the area.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK
Kudos: 523
Solutions: 131

100m - I would recommend a pair of Nanobeam 5AC gen2 units. Glenn is right, that's not the right case for meshed APs.

Kudos: 97
Solutions: 21

remember there was a video on youtube, someone installed a AC-Mesh on fron't of each house, long the street, it must been over 3-4 hops and he was speed testing when connected to each house. Can't find it now but I was impressed.

However, in your case, 100m is a long shot for wireless uplink and mostlikely you will have to use 3 AC-M at each building to maintain a reasonable connection. the one on the main building will have to use a directional antenna. also you count on the external wall of 2nd and 3rd building, to not block wifi signal too much.  This setup might work but requires expereice to do it right and there is still performence issues. So not recommended. 

by the time you spent on 3 X AC-M plus a directional antenna, you might as well have 3 x NanoBeam / NanoStation for PTMP link between the building, which gives you much faster, much more stable connection. yes you have to get AP to broadcast internally ineach building. but like most things in life, do it right, do it once.Cheers2

UEWA, MTCNA, MTCTCE
Kudos: 97
Solutions: 21

here is the video,sees do able but notice he's testing in the open, not indoors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaRNX8nlVZA

UEWA, MTCNA, MTCTCE