Accepted Solution

PoE injector for UAP-AC-IW with PoE passthrough?

I was looking at putting the UAP-AC-IW's in my kids rooms because it would solve the WiFi issue as well as the physical port issues.  I read the manual and the UBNT PoE chart and it said that to get PoE passthrough to work on the IW, I must use a Ubiquiti switch.  Is there any way around that?  I already have a 24 port Unifi switch and I really don't want to shell out massive bucks when an offering from somewhere else might work for me.  I've seen some injectors from PoE-Texas but can't be sure anything they offer would give me the end result of a powered IW and PoE passthrough on the data port.   Is it a "must use" Ubiquiti switch or is there some 3rd party option.

thanks,

-Chris

Accepted Solutions
Established Member
Kudos: 415
Solutions: 86

Re: PoE injector for UAP-AC-IW with PoE passthrough?

To get PoE passthrough to work on the UAP-AC-IW, all one needs is any brand of quality 802.3at compliant switch or injector. It does NOT have to be a UniFi switch...I power mine from a Cisco SG300-10PP.

The UAP-AC-IW itself only needs 802.3af to power up and work, BUT if one needs PoE on its powered port, then it requires 803.3at AND the PoE device connected to the UAP-AC-IW must only need 802.3af power level.

In other words, it won't pass through full 802.3at to its powered port.

If one does NOT need PoE passthrough, any 802.3af switch or injector will power up the UAP-AC-IW.

Gregg

View solution in original post

All Replies
Emerging Member
Kudos: 24
Solutions: 2

If you get a 802.3at injector is shoud work. It will not with a 24v injector.

Kudos: 3

It should work fine using Meraki 802.3at PoE Injector. I 'm saying should because a I have never tested. Some 802.3at injectors are cheap and it may worth buy one to check Man Happy

Kudos: 41

It works fine with the power supply of the AC Pro.

Established Member

To get PoE passthrough to work on the UAP-AC-IW, all one needs is any brand of quality 802.3at compliant switch or injector. It does NOT have to be a UniFi switch...I power mine from a Cisco SG300-10PP.

The UAP-AC-IW itself only needs 802.3af to power up and work, BUT if one needs PoE on its powered port, then it requires 803.3at AND the PoE device connected to the UAP-AC-IW must only need 802.3af power level.

In other words, it won't pass through full 802.3at to its powered port.

If one does NOT need PoE passthrough, any 802.3af switch or injector will power up the UAP-AC-IW.

Gregg

Highlighted

Thank you, Greg.  That was simple and to the point!

-c

Established Member

That's what my wife calls me!

Gregg