Highlighted
Kudos: 4
Solutions: 4
Accepted Solution

Portal page goes down after some time

[ Edited ]

I do have a slight problem with guest control when set up a expiration time in the guest policy menu.

When I set this to X hours; connected devices will disconnect perfectly after that time but is seems also the portal server goes down (https://192.168.1.10:8880/guest/s/default/). My thoughts are that this page must be reachable all time.

The Unifi controller webtool (:8443) is still accessible so Unifi is still running. No portal page available leads to no new login of devices to the wifi network. Is this a known issue? Can this be solved? Any info appriciated

screenshot.jpg

Accepted Solutions

Re: Guest policy expiration time also shut down portal server?

[ Edited ]

As the problem seems to have NO relation with "Expiration time" I will continue this thread on: "

Portal page goes down after some time". https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/Portal-page-goes-down-after-some-time-Raspberry-Pi-inst...

@Sloofmaster; the custom portal files are 100% correct now..........problem still excists

View solution in original post

All Replies
Veteran Member
Kudos: 1283
Solutions: 221

First suggestion: add the portal/controller IP to allowed subnets (eg 192.168.0.100/32). Second: how did you confirm the portal is not accessible?
Art of WiFi
Check out our UniFi API browser tool on GitHub. The PHP API client which it uses, can be found here on GitHub.
The thread on our UniFi Device Search tool can be found here, also check out our Captive Portal solutions for UniFi.

[ Edited ]

Hi Slooffmaster,

Thanks for reply!

Will add the portal controller IP to the allowed subnets (this will be 192.168.1.10/24 right?).

My check to see the portal is a separate desktop PC (wire) connected to the same switch (network) as my controller PC.

The portal is normaly on https://192.168.1.10:8880/guest/s/default/ but after the expiration it's not there anymore.

A wifi device makes connection and forward automaticaly to this adress (this works very good) but then it stuck because no portal page.

Please correct me if Iám doing wrong!

Veteran Member

Ok, clear. Which controller version and OS are you using?
Art of WiFi
Check out our UniFi API browser tool on GitHub. The PHP API client which it uses, can be found here on GitHub.
The thread on our UniFi Device Search tool can be found here, also check out our Captive Portal solutions for UniFi.

[ Edited ]

Controller version 4.7.6 and currently running on a Pi (newest Debian/Linux Jessie) but same problem with setup on a win7 desktop machine with same controller version.

Veteran Member

Do you have any specific settings enabled such as SSID schedule or connectivity monitor? I have never seen this behaviour BTW.
Art of WiFi

There are no other specific settings set. A reset of the controller will solve the problem for about the expiration time.....Thanks in advance and perhaps someone else faced and solveld the same problem.

Made a config.properties file with the rule that if connection with controller is lost the UAP opens so that guests can still acces the internet when controller went down:

• To set whether to automatically authorize all guests when the controller is down. All guest isolation / policy is still enforced.
    config.selfrun_guest_mode=pass

The test results with this rule implemented:

- No devices connected through wireless => Unifi controller remains functional AND portal page stays "online" (visible by a wired connected desktop on http://192.XXX.XXX.XXX:8880/guest/s/default/). UAP is connected (GREEN on unifi graphical interface) Expiration time is set to 10 minutes

- 1 Device connected wireless, got the portal page, accept the user agreements and connect. Works fine. Unifi controller remains accessable with a wired desktop (same network). But after 7 minutes portal page not accessable anymore! On the graphical interface of unifi the UAP got presented as "not connected" RED! Wireless Internet acces keeps on as the config.properties file forced the UAP to stay "open". Without this config.properties file UAP remains GREEN in interface after the "portal page" goes down and internet acces got limited for wireless users.

Controller is still accesable trough <MYIP>:8443/manage/s/default/dashboard...........

screenshot01.JPG

[ Edited ]

As the problem seems to have NO relation with "Expiration time" I will continue this thread on: "

Portal page goes down after some time". https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/Portal-page-goes-down-after-some-time-Raspberry-Pi-inst...

@Sloofmaster; the custom portal files are 100% correct now..........problem still excists