Kudos: 1

Re: Problem with iphones Unifi Ubiquiti

[ Edited ]

Hi @User313, I've already tried this but the problem persists.

Kudos: 2

Another question....

is it possible that iphone can connect seamlessly to Unifi AP v2 while with Unifi AP there is the problem described above?

Hello @Myky and @AmazedMender16 and @lottware - here is the PCAP log - the issue start about 1200:

http://gofile.me/249Rg/VGG0P7nH8

I'm in your hands Ubnt Banana

Established Member
Kudos: 305
Solutions: 97

[ Edited ]

I will check data when back home. Just finished my shift.

Thanks,
Myky
CWNA
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don`t blame the device as it`s always doing what you have asked it to do, this is not always the same as what you want.
Established Member

[ Edited ]

@gian23rewind what is the details of the PCAP (e.g MACs of the repeater and affected client, SSID name)?

EDIT: also l need SSID PSK so l can decrypt the PCAP (you can PM me if you don't want to share it publicly)  and your site system config (e.g settings> maintenance> show system config).

Thanks,
Myky
CWNA
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don`t blame the device as it`s always doing what you have asked it to do, this is not always the same as what you want.

MAC repeater: 04:18:d6:26:c1:01

MAC affected client: c8:3c:85:3e:a1:c1

SSID name and PSK via PM!

Thanks <3

systemConfig.png
Established Member

[ Edited ]

@gian23rewind was the client stationary? PCAP time stamp is 14:14.47 - 14.35.53.  Around 21minutes. When exactly client was experiencing issue (e.g during whole PCAP process, in the begging or end of the capture)? Regarding the APs TX power, you definitely want to bring it down up to 14dBm EIRP (you have between 26-31, it is not good). We would like to set a minimum bitrate on 2.4GHz at least to 11Mbps and force clients to use that rate or above for data transmission. 

btw: It looks like correct repeater MAC is: 04:18:d6:27:c1:01

Thanks,
Myky
CWNA
Established Member

Bump!

Thanks,
Myky
CWNA

here i am!

client isn't stationary because, at the beginning, the problem didn't appear. 

I tried then to roams between more AP until the problem start about 20 min  approximately after the beginning of the test - 14:32 more or less, therefore at the end of the capture.

Why i have to reduce TX power? i need to maximize wi-fi coverage of my hotel.

The MAC of the repetear is exactly 04:18:d6:26:c1:01 not  04:18:d6:27:c1:01 - please see attached screenshot.

Thank you @Myky

Cattura.PNG
Established Member

[ Edited ]

04:18:d6:26:c1:01 is actual physical LAN MAC address, where  04:18:d6:27:c1:01 is virtual MAC. AP will generate unique MAC per each SSID based on its own physical address. Anyway there was no problem with the device communication with 04:18:d6:27:c1:01 MAC , however, however, there was a problem with the client's communication with 16:18:d6:27:c1:01 and 06:18:d6:0b:30:d6 MAC addresses (please see below). The issue started at around 14:34 (just wait for a bit for .gif file to complete buffering):

Deauth.gif

Do you know who owns the above MACs?

Wrong assumptions, increasing TX on the APs will maximise signal transmission in one way only (from the AP towards the client, unidirectional). The client, however, does not have the same TX output power so it will not be able to reply back reliable (which will introduce retries and connectivity issues. The client will end up in the below situation:

client_and_ap_power_output.JPG

I am not saying this is the fix for your issue but the next step for sure. Average mobile devices EIRP value is between 14-16dBm, so AP must be set to the value (unless you were instructed by the site-survey company to do otherwise).

Thanks,
Myky
CWNA

Hi @Myky  

thanks for the lesson, i set 17 dBm / 20 dBm (EIRP), can it be good?

That two MACs are really a mistery, I do not know them.
In UniFi Controller, i check past connections from last 12 months (30246) and that two MACs are not present, how is it possible? how can I understand what are?
Do you want to connect in my controller?
Established Member

[ Edited ]

You won't see these MAC addresses in the client list. They most likely virtual MACs of one of the repeaters SSID.  Good start with TX power manipulation. I would still reduce it to the 16 dBm (EIRP). Difference between 14dBm and 17 dBm is actually huge, every 3dBm actually double the power (e.g 17 dBm as twice stronger as 14dBm, it is not just 3dBm more Smash):

dBm_rules.jpg

Please also reduce minimum bitrate on 2.4GHz band and check: "Also require clients to use rates at or above the specified value".

The above changes should definitely improve the wireless experience (please follow the guide in the KB below):

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/115011813968-UniFi-AirTime-What-s-Eating-your-Wi-Fi-Performa...

Thanks,
Myky
CWNA

Dear @Myky many many thanks

Another question: how do I understand, which Repeaters are those MACs?

waiting your replay...

Thankyou

Established Member

[ Edited ]

SSH to the repeater and use iwconfig command. MAC address will be displayed for each SSID (not sure if it remains the same after the device reboot or not). 

Thanks,
Myky
CWNA

Dear @Myky

this is the screenshot of repeater's output. please help me... maialino.JPG

Established Member

[ Edited ]

While l am checking your details please ensure to tweak your 2.4GHz SSID settings as follow:

Screenshot 2019-01-14 at 13.13.21.png

lf you do not have "b" client at all when you can even set 12Mbps as a minimum bitrate. 

Thanks,
Myky
CWNA

Hello @Myky!
I made the settings you recommended, but it did not work.
Iphone always connects and disconnects.

BangheadSmiley Frustrated

Established Member

[ Edited ]

Please keep them, do not revert.

Regarding the issue, so we have the following:

Repeater MAC: 04:18:d6:27:c1:01, affected client MAC: c8:3c:85:3e:a1:c1

vwire SSID MAC address (dedicated SSID for wireless uplink):  06:18:d6:0b:30:d6 

Privato HDA SSID MAC: 16:18:d6:27:c1:01

The issue is inconsistent.

From the first screenshot we can see that the client didn't respond to the 3rd message from the 4-way handshake from the repeater while it was trying to connect to the Privato HDA SSID MAC: 16:18:d6:27:c1:01. The repeater was retrying multiple times and eventually deuth the client (and it is expected if the client is not responding). And this is where you will see "wrong password" error message on the phone:

ch1.JPG

The expected 4-way handshake should look like this:

4way_handshake.jpg

During the second attempt, the client didn't even complete 802.11 Open System Authentication, but this time client was trying to connect to the vwire SSID MAC address:  06:18:d6:0b:30:d6 (not sure if it is expected):

ch2.JPG

I have seen similar behaviour in the PCAP for another device in your network (some Asus unit), so I suspect that the actual issue is that the device cannot complete 4-way handshake. The biggest problem - l don't know why. Initially, l thought it is due to "retires" but it does not look like that is the case. Sorry but l do not know what to do next.

Thanks,
Myky
CWNA

@MykyThank you so much for your patienc...

but it is not possible that I have the whole network updated with a unifi system and the system does not work in the most basic things?

Is there anybody from Ubiquiti who can answer or take care of the problem?

Another question: I noticed that if the repeaters are v2 there is no problem. is it a case or early versions can have problems?

Established Member

[ Edited ]

I understand your frustration and l was trying to help you as much as l could Cheers2 I don't like to fail, but this time l really don't know why would 4-way handshake get stuck. 

Unfortunately, l cannot replicate this issue for you as l have only single nanoHD AP. Was this always broken for Apple devices?

Maybe worth downgrading one repeater to the 3.5.94 code for the testing purpose 

Thanks,
Myky
CWNA