Problems with Guest WiFi (Isolated to several APs)

Hello,

I am still fairly new to the Ubiquity Family, but I have been slowly implementing a total Unifi network in our building. Currently, we have:

USG - Pro

(1) Unifi - 48 PoE Switch 

(5) AP-AC-HD units

(1) 8 Port Unifi PoE Switch

With several older random switches still in the mix until they get replaced.

I have the network set correctly (I believe so) with a Staff Network along with a guest WiFi. The network has been running smoothly for a couple weeks now. HOWEVER... I have a strange problem with 2 of my APs:

Clients will not/cannot connect to the guest network on 2 of the 5 APs, which are in the same room.  You will see the device attempt to retrieve an IP address on the Dashboard but it will not allow them to connect to the network (With the portal on or off), but if they leave that room and go to a different AP,  they can connect just fine.

The regular staff network works normally on all 5 APs. 

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I have no clue on how to proceed as over 50% of the APs are working fine and the problematic ones are kind of working.

Thanks,

Kudos: 6

Re: Problems with Guest WiFi (Isolated to several APs)

What are your TX power / channel settings?

Not saying it will solve your problem as I too don't see how it connects with IP address retrival but:

I had same issue in one hotel, where some (not all) users couldn't connect to the guest network, mainly in caffe/restaurant. At that point were we in the middle of install and TX power and channel selection were set to automatic.

Only thing I've changed is to set AP to the lowest setting possible to give good coverage (almost all low and one or two on middle) and from that point no one complained about connecting to the network.

Why do you have 2 AP in same room if I may ask ?

Sakizg,

I have attached a screenshot of the channel settings: 
Unifi Channel Settings.PNG

As for why I have two APs is because the room is an auditorium that can seat 1000+ people. I wanted to build an infrastructure that would be able to handle that many devices.   I will try changing the power options and see if that fixes the issue and let you know.

Thanks!

Kudos: 102
Solutions: 23

How do staff authenticate, and do you have any VLANs or separate switches for guests? Kind of sounds like you have an unmanaged switch supporting some of the devices, or don't have the VLANs trunked between switches.

The staff just Authenticate with a password. There are separate VLANs but I believe it was working correctly when I set it up. But I will verify the other switches in between. Good suggestion.

Kudos: 1

@Aaarrrgggh wrote:
How do staff authenticate, and do you have any VLANs or separate switches for guests? Kind of sounds like you have an unmanaged switch supporting some of the devices, or don't have the VLANs trunked between switches.

I recently had an issue on one of my APs. I set up a wireless network with a vlan and did not have the port profile on the switch set to all the vlans needed (I set the port profiles on my switches for the AP ports to only allow the vlans they need so they are not set to the default "all"). This was causing the client to be able to connect wirelessly but would not receive an IP address.  

Since you have non-Unifi switches I would definitely check to make sure all the vlans are trunked properly. 

I am having the same problem. Passworded network works fine, but the guest network does not work on SOME APs. This seems to have happened after an upgrade to 4.4.12.5032482 on the Security Gateway or an upgrade to 3.9.3.7537 on the AP (did them both at the same time). I have rebooted both the Gateway and the AP, with no success.  It is happening on an AP-LR, but some AP-LR work fine. Gateway is acting as the DHCP server for the guest network.

Any luck with a solution?

No. I am just hoping the next version fixes whatever the problem is. We are limping along.