Kudos: 16
Solutions: 1
Accepted Solution

QR code works for 'normal' WiFi not for Guest portal?

I am currently using guest portal with voucher codes. Even though it works technically, it would be great if we could have guest access with lower threshold. For instance, using QR code.

Now I have been able to generate QR code and authorise on a regular SSID in my setup. I used qifi.org website for that.

Next, I want this to work on my guest portal. But when I change portal type from voucher to password and then generate a QR code, my iphone keeps saying "Unable to join network". I am 100% sure the SSID and pw are spelled correctly as I copy-pasted them into qifi website.

Is there any fundamental issue with pw based guest portal for it to not function properly (it seems) when using QR? Any known fix? I would like to stay away from SSH-ing into the CloudKey.

thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Kudos: 570
Solutions: 3

Re: QR code works for 'normal' WiFi not for Guest portal?

[ Edited ]

@mchp92 wrote:

So if I want my guests to connect to my GuestWifi SSID, I should make it a 'normal' ssid not connected to the guest portal? And presumably make sure that vlan segregation is catered for in firewall rules?

You need to distinguish between the SSID and associated credentials, and the password in the guest portal. The guest portal is just a website that pops up and prompts for a password AFTER you've already connected to the Wi-Fi SSID (You're technically already connected to the Wireless network, but you are prevented from going anywhere but the portal page by the APs until you authenticate on the portal page). If the Wi-FI SSID itself is of type Open or has a different password, you need to put those into the QR code. That way, the device will connect to the guest Wi-Fi SSID and then the portal will come up and prompt for the password. (If you don't want users to have to enter any password, disable the guest portal and specify the password in the Wi-Fi SSID instead.)

View solution in original post

All Replies
Veteran Member
Kudos: 1313
Solutions: 229

@mchp92 wrote:

I am currently using guest portal with voucher codes. Even though it works technically, it would be great if we could have guest access with lower threshold. For instance, using QR code.

Now I have been able to generate QR code and authorise on a regular SSID in my setup. I used qifi.org website for that.

Next, I want this to work on my guest portal. But when I change portal type from voucher to password and then generate a QR code, my iphone keeps saying "Unable to join network". I am 100% sure the SSID and pw are spelled correctly as I copy-pasted them into qifi website.

Is there any fundamental issue with pw based guest portal for it to not function properly (it seems) when using QR? Any known fix? I would like to stay away from SSH-ing into the CloudKey.

thanks!

This is expected behavior. The concept of QR codes only works for WPA2 secured networks, not for the UniFi specific guest portal (or any other guest portal).

Art of WiFi
Check out our UniFi API browser tool on GitHub. The PHP API client which it uses, can be found here on GitHub.
The thread on our UniFi Device Search tool can be found here, also check out our Captive Portal solutions for UniFi.
Kudos: 16
Solutions: 1

So if I want my guests to connect to my GuestWifi SSID, I should make it a 'normal' ssid not connected to the guest portal? And presumably make sure that vlan segregation is catered for in firewall rules?

Highlighted
Kudos: 570
Solutions: 3

[ Edited ]

@mchp92 wrote:

You need to distinguish between the SSID and associated credentials, and the password in the guest portal. The guest portal is just a website that pops up and prompts for a password AFTER you've already connected to the Wi-Fi SSID (You're technically already connected to the Wireless network, but you are prevented from going anywhere but the portal page by the APs until you authenticate on the portal page). If the Wi-FI SSID itself is of type Open or has a different password, you need to put those into the QR code. That way, the device will connect to the guest Wi-Fi SSID and then the portal will come up and prompt for the password. (If you don't want users to have to enter any password, disable the guest portal and specify the password in the Wi-Fi SSID instead.)