Scheduled maintenance: Community will be offline Monday June 17th, 1:00 AM - 6:00 AM (PT)

RADIUS Interim Update and Accounting Stop

Good morning to all,

I have a question that I hope someone can help me to solve it.

I have installed UniFi Controller v5.9.29.0 on a Windows 7 PC and have an UniFi AP-AC-Lite v3.9.54.9373.

I am trying to capture all RADIUS packets, I can capture Access-Request, Access-Accept and Accounting-Start:

Captura.PNG

But I can not capture Interim Update or Accounting Stop (of course I have enabled Interim Update). If session is enabled for 60 min, my deviced will disconnect at min 60, but I can not see Accounting Stop Packet.

I hope anybody could help me with this.

Thanks in advanced.

Kudos: 420
Solutions: 112

Re: RADIUS Interim Update and Accounting Stop

[ Edited ]

Hey,

I think it works as expected:

interim.JPG

According to the IETF this option is intended to periodically send the accounting data to the RADIUS server (e.g every 60 seconds as in the above example).

FYI:

https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-radius-acct-interim-01.txt

Finally, l disconnected my device from the SSID and AP sent Accounting-Stop packet:

stop.JPG

Thanks,
Myky
CWSP
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don`t blame the device as it`s always doing what you have asked it to do, this is not always the same as what you want.

Thanks for your answer!

Yes, that is how it should works but I really don´t know why I don´t capture this Interim packet...

Yes, that is how it should work but I really don't know why I don't capture this Interim packet ...

Maybe something wrong in the configuration, I will check Controller configuration again.

Thanks!

You won’t see them as a separate packets, those packets are part of the Accounting-Request/Response packets (as per my screenshots). 

Thanks,
Myky
CWSP
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don`t blame the device as it`s always doing what you have asked it to do, this is not always the same as what you want.

Hello,

The problem is that I only see Request but not Response:

This is the Accounting-Start as I suppose (I see 5 packets exactly the same, only Acct-Delay-Time change):

Captura.PNG

But no more Interim packets or Accounting Stop...

Ohh I overlooked something here then. Is account confirmed on the RADIUS server? 

Thanks,
Myky
CWSP

Yes sure. Here is the Access-Request:

1.PNG

Then the Access-Accept:

2.PNG

And finally 5 Accounting-Request with val=Start:

3.PNG

But I think Accounting is not starting, so that is why I don´t obtain Interim-Updates or Accounting-Stop.

Thanks!

[ Edited ]

RADIUS Accounting is a separate option/function  on the server. So your RADIUS auth can work but accounting may not if your RADIUS server is not configured for it. From what I can see your server never responds with Accounting-Response packet, which is must be straight after Accounting-Request packet regardless if you session just started or ended (if server is configured correctly). 

EDIT: just a side note, accounting uses different port number (if any firewall in between)

Thanks,
Myky
CWSP

Hi Myky

Our problem is Accounting Request doesn't include Called-Station-Id value. Because of this our Radius Server reject the packet and there isn't response. The complete Accounting request only has this values : 

rad_recv: Accounting-Request packet from host 91.126.214.40 port 60323, id=12, length=75

User-Name = "50618586@28N2S040"

Acct-Session-Id = "9223g2qynsumckgc"

Acct-Status-Type = Start

Event-Timestamp = "Nov 29 2018 08:33:57 UTC"

Acct-Delay-Time = 6

Nevertheless in your captures Acct Interims and Stops include this Called-Station-Id value. How can we configure this in Unifi ??? What Unifi Controller version  are you using ??

Thanks

Highlighted

[ Edited ]

Hey,

Weird. I use NanoHD currently running the latest: 4.0.9.9636
No extra config was done from my side, just created RADIUS profile and attached to the SSID

Thanks,
Myky
CWSP