Radios Disabled - cannot enable

Hi

i ordered a Ubiquiti Networks UAP-AC-PRO for my personal Wifi at home. I only read good things about that so i thought it might be a good device.

Current Setup (for inital startup)

The AC is connected via lan to a PC. And i think i can controll it with the Unifi controller.

No other devices are connected to this lan.

In the future it will be connected to a fritzbox and a unmanged switch.

After setting up the wizard. I can see the wifi for some minutes, before it disappears. In the controller tab i can see that both radios (2.4 and 5ghz) are disabled after a while?

In the control tabs i can set the channel number for the radios, and after rolling out the changes, the changes are send to the ac. But then, after some minutes (2-3) the radios are disabled again. There is also no option for enable/disable the radios?!

I am using 3.6.something.

I am also confused, that the controller says, that i am connected to the device, but have some kind of limitation.

Can someone help me to enable the radios again?

Kudos: 35
Solutions: 12

Re: Radios Disabled - cannot enable

Do you have installed the unifi controller on your PC and have opened the firewall for all necessary ports on that PC?

Ports: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/218506997-UniFi-Ports-Used

For the configuration put the AP on the provided place in your LAN (fritzbox or switch). The AP should get an IP from then DHCP server of the FB.

[ Edited ]

You can switch the radio on/off if you check or uncheck "Enabled on this AP" under the corresponding WLAN.

wlan.png

The Checkbox which you showedme in the screenshot is activated.... but the radios is disabled anyway!

I'll check the ports

Have you tried to make a hardware reset of the AP?

And at  first connect the AP to the LAN infrastructure and not to the PC.

I connected to the Fritzbox.

Now it seems to work according to my expactations. Was only the missing IP from a DHCP Server the problem?

I think so. I know no procedure to connect the AP directly to a PC.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 13
Solutions: 3

What I have found in the past when using a UAP-AC-LR connected directly to a computer with no switch or router (for site surveys) is that the IP of the gateway on the access points needs to be set to the IP address of the computer.  If the access point can't see its gateway, it stops transmitting after a while.  Note that the 'gateway' doesn't actually have to have an internet connection.

You can set up a gateway IP for the access point specifically within the controller.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 13
Solutions: 3

otto58 wrote:

I think so. I know no procedure to connect the AP directly to a PC.

I do this for site surveys.  I connect the access point directly to a battery powered Raspberry Pi which runs iperf3.  I can then move the access point to anywhere I want and run download and upload speed tests from a laptop.  I know it will max out at 100Mbps due to the Pi's ethernet but I can also look at the reported rate of the wireless link to get an idea how good the wifi coverage is.

Of course there's no internet access doing this, although there could be if I used a 3G/4G USB modem on the Pi.

Kudos: 188
Solutions: 68

Flarne wrote:

I connected to the Fritzbox.

Now it seems to work according to my expactations. Was only the missing IP from a DHCP Server the problem?

If the AP is unable to detect the gateway, it stops broadcasting the WLAN, even with a static IP. It doesn't know where to send the network traffic