Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Radius VLAN clash with static VLAN on different SSIDs

Hi all,

I am gradually migrating our site from Meraki to Unifi WiFi. We have two SSIDs, one which is RADIUS authenticated with dynamic VLAN assignment and one which we set with a static VLAN on the SSID. When I try to join the RADIUS controlled SSID it will not give me an IP address if I am receiving the VLAN that is assigned to the same VLAN as the SSID with the static VLAN. This is confirmed by changing the VLAN on the SSID with the static VLAN and also the RADIUS assigned VLAN to something else which doesn't clash or another one that does clash to confirm same issue occurs on other VLANs. (Sorry for the long winded explanation, hoping it makes sense).

How do I allow two SSIDs one with RADIUS assigned VLAN and one with static assigned VLAN to co-exist where they may both be giving out the same VLAN to the clients?

Thanks,

Tom

Accepted Solutions
Kudos: 4
Solutions: 1

Re: Radius VLAN clash with static VLAN on different SSIDs

I think this case is described as a known limitation, see https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/219654087-UniFi-Using-VLANs-with-UniFi-Wireless-Routing-Swit...
"At the time of writing, one known limitation with RADIUS controlled VLANs is that you can't share a VLAN ID between RADIUS users and a static VLAN assignment on another SSID on that AP. So, if SSID1 has a static VLAN assignment of 10, and SSID2 is configured for RADIUS controlled VLANs, the users on SSID2 cannot use the VLAN ID of 10, but they can use any other VLAN ID. If you had a 3rd SSID, that also used RADIUS controlled VLANs, you can use the same VLAN IDs as you would for the users on SSID 2 (except for 10). This applies on a per-AP basis. Disabling the wireless network on the controller is sufficient means to avoid the static VLAN overlap while transitioning to dynamic VLAN."

View solution in original post

All Replies
Kudos: 4
Solutions: 1

Re: Radius VLAN clash with static VLAN on different SSIDs

I think this case is described as a known limitation, see https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/219654087-UniFi-Using-VLANs-with-UniFi-Wireless-Routing-Swit...
"At the time of writing, one known limitation with RADIUS controlled VLANs is that you can't share a VLAN ID between RADIUS users and a static VLAN assignment on another SSID on that AP. So, if SSID1 has a static VLAN assignment of 10, and SSID2 is configured for RADIUS controlled VLANs, the users on SSID2 cannot use the VLAN ID of 10, but they can use any other VLAN ID. If you had a 3rd SSID, that also used RADIUS controlled VLANs, you can use the same VLAN IDs as you would for the users on SSID 2 (except for 10). This applies on a per-AP basis. Disabling the wireless network on the controller is sufficient means to avoid the static VLAN overlap while transitioning to dynamic VLAN."