Kudos: 3

Remote Options for Device Restart

Hello All,

This week while on an extended vacation, the Cloud Key on my home network became non-responsive.  In spite of all efforts, I could not remotely access it even though the network and Internet was available to all other devices on the network.  Ultimately, my daughter went over and physically unplugged it.  When it powered up, all was fine.  This is the first time this has happened since my network was built over a year ago.

Though I'm not a network engineer by training, I have almost all of the major components on UPS's, have fiber 1 GB up/down Internet service delivered  via an underground cable run, and Ethernet surge arrestors in place for any copper network cable associated with an outside device, the problem with the CK is making me rethink what's the best way to address device restarts when all else fails.

As a ham radio operator, I'm used to operating devices remotely and we have a houseful of home automation.  So is something as simple as a powered "appliance" type remote controlled module (no dimming) a good idea to use on certain devices to force a power off/on?

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.

Gary

Kudos: 2986
Solutions: 805

Re: Remote Options for Device Restart

Hello @gsownsby,

What is the LED doing of the UCK?

Are you able to SSH into the UCK?

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W 3x • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK
Kudos: 205
Solutions: 72

[ Edited ]

@gsownsby wrote:

Hello All,

This week while on an extended vacation, the Cloud Key on my home network became non-responsive.  In spite of all efforts, I could not remotely access it even though the network and Internet was available to all other devices on the network.  Ultimately, my daughter went over and physically unplugged it.  When it powered up, all was fine.  This is the first time this has happened since my network was built over a year ago.

Though I'm not a network engineer by training, I have almost all of the major components on UPS's, have fiber 1 GB up/down Internet service delivered  via an underground cable run, and Ethernet surge arrestors in place for any copper network cable associated with an outside device, the problem with the CK is making me rethink what's the best way to address device restarts when all else fails.

As a ham radio operator, I'm used to operating devices remotely and we have a houseful of home automation.  So is something as simple as a powered "appliance" type remote controlled module (no dimming) a good idea to use on certain devices to force a power off/on?

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.

Gary

Gen 1 cloud keys do not handle unexpected power offs very well and could potentially corrupt the controller files.  However in this case I get it that you don't have a choice when the device became unresponsive.  If its powered by a POE switch, and you could somehow access the switch remotely via SSH (which would require you to leave a port open and that could be a security issue on its own)  and issue a reboot command (need to find out if it'll cycle the POE on a reboot, or the proper command to do it).

If its USB powered, you could use a Belkin Wemo switch with a USB power supply plugged into it. It would allow you to remotely turn off the switch.  Since its just the cloud key on the Wemo switch, the remainder of the network (wifi / USG) should stay online, which will then allow you to turn the Wemo back on remotely.  Again the issue remains with sudden power loss to the cloud key and the bad gremlins that may unleash.

Highlighted

The LED on the CK was blue.

No, I couldn't access it via SSH.

Thank you.

Gary

The CK is on a UPS.

As you mentioned, opening a port for the purpose of possibly rebooting the CK via a specific port, didn't leave me feeling good as to the possible security hole that I might be leaving open.

I think the Wemo option is certainly a simple and cost-effective approach for an event which has, at least to this point, been very rare.

Thank you.

Kudos: 2986
Solutions: 805

Hello @gsownsby,

Could be that the UCKs DB is getting to full..

What type of data collections did you turn on in the controller?

How often does this happen?

Could you try running the UCK without SD card?

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W 3x • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK
Established Member
Kudos: 301
Solutions: 78

@gsownsby wrote:

The CK is on a UPS.

I think the Wemo option is certainly a simple and cost-effective approach for an event which has, at least to this point, been very rare.

Thank you.

This was going to be my suggestion. I recently got a 5 pack of smart switches from Amazon for $25, and use them anywhere I need this capability.