Scheduled maintenance: Community will be offline Monday June 17th, 1:00 AM - 6:00 AM (PT)
Solutions: 2
Accepted Solution

Replace the XG Server SSD hard disk problem

Hello:

I used a new M.2 SSD (SAMSUNG 970 PRO 1TB) instead of the original 120GB SSD. I downloaded the official iso to reinstall it, but during the installation I was prompted “no root file system is defined”. Is this why?

thank you

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Replace the XG Server SSD hard disk problem

yes,your thinking is correct. thanks very much.

The problem has been solved.
The reason is the problem of nvme. The disk specified in the official iso preseed installation file is sda, and the nvme path is nvme0n1.
Solution: Change the seed installation file in the official ios.
1. Change ‘sda’ to your corresponding hard drive path. (This method may cause EFI to fail to write to esp)
2. Delete the script for the relevant partition. (I have adopted this scheme, because the memory is already large enough, no need for a swap partition, so direct manual partitioning)

Regarding the above mentioned EFI can not write to ESP: Do not use the automatic creation of LVM partitions in the installer, manually create partitions. If you are using automatic creation of LVM, delete the ESP partition and create it manually.

This is my first time using Ubuntu and I don't know how to explain it. Checked a lot of information, including this solution is translated by Google. Because my English is very poor. . . Forgive me.

By the way,I set the bios uefi only and completely shut down legecy.

IMG_1702.JPG

the light is blue. it works.

I'm using 1TB because it is free and I want to run some virtual machine, it makes vm quickly.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Kudos: 4861
Solutions: 1284

Hello @hedandan,

Thats probably cause you used a different disk.

Have you tried to restart the UAS completely?

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK

My steps are to shut down, replace ssd, and turn it on.
It was restarted.

C8E72472-5FA8-4C5E-9E5F-FF679B306456.jpegimage.jpg

Hello @hedandan,

What does the install do when you choose continue?

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x

This loop is always prompted for this error.

Can the official image not provide partitioning?

[ Edited ]

Hello @hedandan,

The official ISO runs through the install without stopping... you could install Ubuntu Server 16.04 yourself but you won't be able to get the UAS UI or try to edit the ISO...

Regards,

Glenn R.

The official ISO runs through the install without stopping... 

What does this mean?

The official iso also needs to be restarted through the u disk to be installed. However, the official did not provide partitioning function in iso, which is too frivolous.

[ Edited ]

Hello @hedandan,

The official ISO is a unattended installation, means you don’t have to do anything yourself.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Yes, I understand. What if a new hard drive or the original hard drive partition is damaged? I want to try to destroy the original partition table, and then try to install with the official image, but I don't know if I encounter an infinite loop like the current one, so I can't continue...

In addition, I used the partition software to clone the original hard disk partitions and sectors to the new hard disk, but the new hard disk still can not be started.

Kudos: 2

The Samsung SSD is a NVMe SSD, it looks like the old ssd is a SATA M2 SSD. Is the sophos compatiable with NVMe SSD's? Maybe that's the issue here.

I used another hard drive with the sata protocol to test it. Sure enough, the problem is nvme.

Is there a relevant solution?

The test is not enough. Still have problems. I use a 256G SSD and still can't partition. It seems that the firmware identifies the hard drive that comes with it.

Hello @hedandan,

So what you can try is to edit the ISO file or install Ubuntu Server yourself.

May I ask why you need a 1TB disk tho?

Regards,

Glenn R.

Highlighted

yes,your thinking is correct. thanks very much.

The problem has been solved.
The reason is the problem of nvme. The disk specified in the official iso preseed installation file is sda, and the nvme path is nvme0n1.
Solution: Change the seed installation file in the official ios.
1. Change ‘sda’ to your corresponding hard drive path. (This method may cause EFI to fail to write to esp)
2. Delete the script for the relevant partition. (I have adopted this scheme, because the memory is already large enough, no need for a swap partition, so direct manual partitioning)

Regarding the above mentioned EFI can not write to ESP: Do not use the automatic creation of LVM partitions in the installer, manually create partitions. If you are using automatic creation of LVM, delete the ESP partition and create it manually.

This is my first time using Ubuntu and I don't know how to explain it. Checked a lot of information, including this solution is translated by Google. Because my English is very poor. . . Forgive me.

By the way,I set the bios uefi only and completely shut down legecy.

IMG_1702.JPG

the light is blue. it works.

I'm using 1TB because it is free and I want to run some virtual machine, it makes vm quickly.