Kudos: 2

Replacing BT HH6 with Ubiquiti setup

Hi all,

I'm looking at replacing my Bt HomeHub6 with Ubiquiti gear. 

I have purchased an openreach modem as I will require this.

Im looking at purchasing the following:

ERLITE-3 Edge router

UAP-AP-Lite

A Netgear managed switch.

My question is will this work together. I will setup the controller on my PC to get the AP up and running.

Is there anything I'm missing?

Many thanks

Kudos: 64
Solutions: 25

Re: Replacing BT HH6 with Ubiquiti setup

@19dan89 Yes, it should work fine. Nothing additional is required.

Edge as the Router, Then Switch and then UAP. Basic configuration.

When you receive a solution to your question/issue, don't forget to mark your thread as solved and to give kudo's to the people who have helped you out!
Paid Remote Support Available!!!

Brilliant, thank you.
Veteran Member
Kudos: 1335
Solutions: 351

Is there any reason why you're choosing an ERL3 and Netgear switch over UniFi kit?

Simply cost. I've actually found that a Edgerouter X will do everything I need it to do as oppose to the ERLite-3 so I will probably be going with that instead.
Solutions: 1

[ Edited ]

I am trying to remember, so correct me if i am wrong, but i don't think the UAP-AC-Lite comes with POE injectors, and based on your equipment list, i don't see where the point will get POE from. So if it doesn't get a set of POE injectors as well or get a POE switch which is a much nicer setup.

Veteran Member

@19dan89 wrote:
Simply cost. I've actually found that a Edgerouter X will do everything I need it to do as oppose to the ERLite-3 so I will probably be going with that instead.

If price is the only factor, then the ERX looks great.  If you're looking for centralised management, and everything in the same "pane of glass" then I'd at least look at the USG and US-8 before making a decision.

Thanks for the input, I've checked multiple sources and they all say it comes with a PoE injector

OK Great!

I did some checks too, but i buy them in the 5-pack and mine didn't, but good to know the single units come with POE injectors.

Still i love the UniFi POE switches, it gives you the ability to power down the ports and there by hard power down the points, especially for those deployments where the equipment it out of reach. Also alot less to plug in etc..

Also the unifi switch is quite expensive.

Although I am quite tempted.. hmmm

I must say i was a devoted customer of the C***** company, for many years, since i have started to use the Ubiquiti equipment, i am impressed, as price point is NOT BAD. 

I say this because, i know they are pricey for home users, but thats just it, trust me they are built for enterprises, there feature base and physical construction will demark them as enterprise equipment. I have bought so much of them and true to life, i have only seen 1 single item fail, and it was DOA (dead on arrival) i suspect it had something to do with the shipping, the box came pretty beat up. I was so shocked when i plugged it up and it did not work, i tried like 10 times power cycling cause i had just never had a single piece of equipment from Ubiquiti which malfunction. This is my story, i know people have others, but i am truly happy with my choice, and every new piece of equipment i purchase from them, just continues to impress me more and more.

Kudos: 64
Solutions: 25

@19dan89 If you are not looking to configure complicated stuff in the Router, USG and UniFi Switch will make your life easier. Though, Edge also works better. There is no question about that. But centralized management is way better than individual. Though, not being negative, in a few cases, the USG does seem to be a pain to configure, hence, if there is additinal configuration required, I use the Edge rather then the USG.

When you receive a solution to your question/issue, don't forget to mark your thread as solved and to give kudo's to the people who have helped you out!
Paid Remote Support Available!!!
Established Member
Kudos: 360
Solutions: 34

You don't really say why you want to replace the HH6 and if it's only for better WiFi then you just need the AP-AC-Lite although I would suggest spending the extra and getting the AP-AC-LR because it has a more sensitive receiving antenna that works better with mobile devices which is what most folks want WiFi for. 

The HH6 is a better featured router than the USG and it has more than adequate switching management if you don't need multiple VLANs. So if you just want better WiFi, keep the HH6 and switch off the radios. 

If you do want to replace everything then I would strongly suggest biting the bullet and going 100% Unifi from the outset as the USG is very easy to install first, then add other Unifi kit to it. Adding a USG afterwards is a pain in the proverbial. 

It is nice kit but I'd take the "Enterprise Class" spiel with a pinch of salt. It's getting there, but Cisco etc. put a lot more time and effort into the QA before launching products than UBNT do, and it shows in the number of firmware updates. 

Veteran Member

If it's for "better WiFi" and its being replaced by a single UAP-AC then I'm not sure that would be worth doing either.

Just curious, what is it that makes you say the HH6 is a "better featured" router?

[ Edited ]

I'm not replacing it for better wifi coverage/signal.

I'm replacing it because the HH6 seems to drop connection quite a lot and requires frequent reboots, which is incredibly annoying.

Also because it will be fun to implement and play with.

I'll most likely bite the bullet, as mentioned, and go full Unifi.

In this case, I would go with the following:

USG

AP-AC-LR

US-8-60W UniFi 8 Port Switch

Will the switch power the AP ok?

Many thanks guys

Established Member
Kudos: 323
Solutions: 119

@19dan89

Hi, the US-8-60W can only PoE 48V 802.3af

The AP AC LR PoE

Previously it was only 24V PoE passive

UniFi is about to change it's production to PoE 48V.

Therefore it depends, which AP AC LR your Reseller has in stock.

If you buy single AP's, the suitable PoE Injector is included.

With the 5 AP Package, it is not.

Please reward people who have helped you with kudo's and mark your thread as solved when you receive a solution to your issue.
Veteran Member

If the UAP-AC-LR ends up being the old style, you can get an 802.3af to 24V adapter from Ubiquiti for around £20 inc VAT.  This allows the US-8-60W to power the 24V passive PoE AP.

Highlighted

Thanks for the replies guys,

I will be buying the single AP which will include the PoE injector so I guess it doesnt really matter.

Thanks.