Kudos: 8
Solutions: 1

Running Controller and Unifi Video on Nas Drive

Has anyone had any experience with this?  If I can run both of these on my Nas I can avoid buying the Cloudkey and NVR.  I just dont want to buy extra kit if I have something that will do it already. 

My Nas is a Qnap TS453B with 8gb Ram and Intel® Celeron® J3455 quad-core 1.5 GHz, up to 2.3 GHz

Thanks 

Mark

Kudos: 2

Re: Running Controller and Unifi Video on Nas Drive

Hi,

currently I am running the Controller(5.6.30) on my NAS (QNAP TS451A - 8GB RAM). No problems at all by now, running a small home setup. 

RAM used bei the Controller is round about 400MB when I am looking at it right now.

Thanks Seb,

Did you get it from Qnap club?

Yes, that's right. Works fine for me.

Did you download the QJDK8 from qnap club as well?

Yes, without this package it will not work. But this is the only extra package I had to install, after that everything was fine.

Installed the software and it loads up fine, glad to know someone has it working for a while with no issues.  

Now I just need to order the rest of the equipment and set it up.  The good thing is that if both the controller and video software work as I hope, it could save me a few £££.

Thanks again.

Kudos: 85
Solutions: 19

The NVR software runs all the time so it may put more load on your NAS than you'd like. You could pose a question in the Unifi Video forum to find out what the experts there think about the ability of your NAS to support your specific video configuration (# and type of cameras).

-- Pete
Highlighted

Thanks poorman, i will give that a try

I just had it running for a few minutes to check if the package will install properly, yes it will. But as poorman said, the load is much higher. 3GB of RAM has been used without any camera plugged in. So, you need enough RAM if you are running other services too Man Happy

But I also think that the guys who are running this for a longer time on a NAS with cameras will help you out with more details.

Thanks, I just had it running (no cameras) and it was using just short of 500mb ram and hardly any CPU usage. When i do get it running i will set the cameras to motion only and not constant record.