Samsung TV won't stay connected to Unifi UAP-AC-Pro

Hi, 

I recently purchased and set-up a new UniFi UAP-AC-PRO and mounted it on the ceiling of the ground floor of a modern, detatched, two storey, 3-bedroom house, more or less in the center of the property. This gives a pretty perfect 'bubble' of wifi in and around the house and is working really well for most devices with a definite improvement in transfer and connection speeds. 

I am however, having an issue where the 2016 model Samsung TV (UE49KU6400) that I purchased new last year, isn't staying connected to the AP.  Every time you switch the TV on after a period of say, a few hours, it says there's no internet connection and you have to go through the process of selecting your access point, which it detects immediately, then checks to see if it can connect which, of course, it can,  and then it immediately signs me into my Samsung Account (shows a message at the top of the screen) and allows me access to all my internet-enabled TV apps again. The TV is on the same floor as the AP, around 4-metres away and receives full signal.

It would appear to be some kind of power saving mode for the wifi on the TV however, I don't think that's it because the UniFi replaced the built-in wifi from a Billion 8800 AXL and the TV never had this issue until I installed the UniFi AP and switched off the wifi radios on the Billion. The AP SSID and key is even the same. I have tried deleting the connection settings on the TV and reconnecting but it doesn't make any difference.

The TV's firmware is up-to-date, as is the UniFi UAP-AC-PRO, and the Billion's (just for safe measure) and there hasn't been an update for the TV during the installation process of the AP so I can rule that out too. 

I've had a good look on these forums and the only thing I can find is to untick the checkbox that says 'Enable Unscheduled Automatic Power Save Delivery' however, it's already disabled (unticked) so i'm not sure what else to try. All other devices work without issue as far as I can tell. 

Any help or advice greatly appreciated in advance. 

Thanks,

Jack

SuperUser
Kudos: 5133
Solutions: 1458

Re: Samsung TV won't stay connected to Unifi UAP-AC-Pro

Have you checked the TV to ensure it doesn't have its own "powersave" feature on the wlan card?

Have seen that on laptops sometimes, where they decide it's better for you (while plugged in, no less) that they should save power and break your wifi.

Thanks @dpurgert - that's what I would have though but, from my original message: 

It would appear to be some kind of power saving mode for the wifi on the TV however, I don't think that's it because the UniFi replaced the built-in wifi from a Billion 8800 AXL and the TV never had this issue until I installed the UniFi AP and switched off the wifi radios on the Billion. 

Emerging Member
Kudos: 14
Solutions: 2

Are you using the latest firmware on your Samsung TV?

I have a Samsung 4K UN50KU6290FXZA which doesn't disconnect from my UAP-AC-Pro running the latest non-beta versions. 

Thanks,

@SmoothRunnings Checked this afternoon and there were no updates via the TV. Checked via the Samsung website and tried to see if an update via USB would do anything but it says it's up to date - guess that means it's all ok. The firmware version on the TV certainly match what they say is the latest - version 1201.

Stilll pretty sure it's the AP as it worked with the wifi in the Billion.

Been a few weeks since I posted this but just providing a small update. 

I've noticed that when turning the TV on, it take about 15-30 seconds for it to connect to the wifi again. I know becuase apps that appear to be not signed-in, suddenly sign-in, and then I can use the TV as normal. 

This didn't happen with the wifi in my old router so I presume it's some kind of authentication or connection delay between the UniFi AP and the TV but I don't know how to go about troubleshooting that. 

Any other thoughts or suggestions welcome!

Thanks,
Jack

SuperUser
Kudos: 4615
Solutions: 1043

Have you at any time ever set up the hardwired LAN parameters on the TV? I have found on some TV's, not Samsung, that they look to the hardwired connction first then look for wirelss if there is none.

Having said that I have never had a problem connecting a Samsung TV to any UniFi.

UK Comms & Links Engineer.

Come on you lot, Feel free to 'Mark as Solution' At least click the Kudos button. Thanks.

Top Solution Authors Leaderboard
SuperUser
Kudos: 5867
Solutions: 386

[ Edited ]

You don't have airtime fairness, bandwith steering or other advanced features enabled, right?

Did you manually select your channels ensuring you picked the cleanest ones in your environment?

Did you manually set the power?

In other words, if you have anything set to auto, fix that first. 

Lots of other good, general troubleshooting advice in here:  https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/221029967-UniFi-Debugging-Intermittent-Connectivity-Issues-o...

When you receive a solution to your question/issue, don't forget to mark your thread as solved and to give kudo's to the people who have helped you out!

Having wifi problems? Take a look here first: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/221029967-UniFi-Debugging-Intermittent-Connectivity-Issues-on-your-UAP

Thanks @EricE.

I think I have advanced settings enabled so that I can change the transmission power.

Power was set to Medium but i've just increased that to High becuase I was getting some intermittent connection in one corner of the house. Not too far away from the AP really, but obviously enough to cause a drop in the connection to the Wifi. 

Band Steering is set to Off.

Airtime Farness is set to Off. 

I've left the channel set to Auto but i've always done this with any Wifi i've ever had so that it auto-chooses the best channel for me. Should I change this? Do Ubiquiti devices operate differently?

Kudos: 142
Solutions: 54

[ Edited ]

Sounds like your TV is simply powering off the network adapter when you turn the TV off. I have a Samsung TV that completey powers off the network when the TV is off. This can be seen in the Unifi controller Events log, as it shows the TV disconnecting from the LAN when I shut the TV off.

I also have a similar issue with a 2011 Panasonic TV.  The problem occurs with both WiFi and wired LAN connections.  The solution is to wait 15-30 seconds after powering the TV before accessing any TV app that uses the network.  If I try to access an app that requires Internet sooner than that, the TV prompts me to repeat the network setup, even though everything is really already setup.

If the TV powers-off the network adapter, I don't think there's much you can do with Unifi to fix that.

The problem is really that the TV user interface is so poorly written that it doesn't allow time for the network to connect before declaring that it must be setup again from scratch.

Kudos: 9
Solutions: 3

You stated that 'Unscheduled Automatic Power Save Delivery' is disabled, have you tried enabling it? Most modern devices support UAPSD so this is worth a try IMO. Even if enabling it does not fix your TV issue, you will benefit from increased battery life on mobile devices.

Also, what security type are you using for the wireless network? You should be using WPA2/AES-Only for maximum performance. Using WPA1 or TKIP encryption can negatively affect performance and some devices may not work well with this encryption type.

Established Member
Kudos: 116
Solutions: 23

Please select channels manually instead of setting it to automatic. Choosing should be done based on an RF scan. Auto, in my opinion, should never be used. Not for transmission power and not for channel selection.

Do you have a reason why the tv is not connected through cable?

Controller (5.10.19): CK 0.13.4
Unifi (4.0.24.10010): UAP-AC-IW-Pro, UAP-AC-LR, UAP-AC-M & USW8-60W (4.0.21.9965)

Better WiFi coverage is not achieved by increasing transmission power, but by increasing the number of accesspoints.

Thanks All! 

All helpful things to try. 

I've now done an RF scan and chosen my channels for both bands. I operate both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz band as seperate SSIDs so that I can ensure the devices are connecting at the fastest they can. It definitely helps. This isn't new btw - this is a direct duplicate of the settings I had on my Billion router beforehand but thought it was worth mentioning.

Power is now set to Maximum and that's certainly helping with any issues of disconnecting devices at the edges of my house. 

Have and always used WPA2/AES so don't think there are any issues there. 

One thought I did have was that the DHCP lookup might be slower through the AP to the router (where the DHCP table is being controlled) than when wifi was handled by the router directly. The TV has a static IP in the DHCP table so am going to try and add that manually to the TV settings shortly so to reduce any lookup time instead of it hunting for settings through the network to the router. 

SuperUser

@jackmcconnell wrote:

One thought I did have was that the DHCP lookup might be slower through the AP to the router (where the DHCP table is being controlled) than when wifi was handled by the router directly. 

Nope.  Inconsequential and irrelevant.

When you receive a solution to your question/issue, don't forget to mark your thread as solved and to give kudo's to the people who have helped you out!

Having wifi problems? Take a look here first: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/221029967-UniFi-Debugging-Intermittent-Connectivity-Issues-on-your-UAP

@Eric, That may be, but can you explain why that's the case? Your answer was a little short.

SuperUser

@jackmcconnell wrote:

@Eric, That may be, but can you explain why that's the case? Your answer was a little short.

Distance, especially in this case, is effectively irrelevant.  If there were any timing differences, they would be impossible for you to perceive unaided by some sort of measurement tools.

The CPU in the respective devices, firmware, speed of the code running, etc. have far more to do with it. 

And while the USG doesn't have a speed demon for a CPU compared to desktop or mobile devices, compared to consumer routers the code in it is leaps and bounds better and the CPU is far more capable than the vast, vast majority of consumer wifi/routers.   If anything DHCP is probably faster with the USG than your wifi/router - but again, you would probably be hard pressed to tell a difference just by observing alone. 

Emerging Member

In fairness, I wouldn't want my Samsung Smart TV connected to the wifi anyway

Just chiming in again on this thread to say that I haven't been able to pin down the issue. 

I've just learned to switch the TV on, wait for the wifi in the TV to re-connect to the network after ~15 seconds, and then open the app that I want to use. It's not ideal but everything works absolutely fine. Just odd that it started when I got the UniFi AP and was fine when using the built-in wifi in my Billion router but it may have co-incided with a firmware update for the TV that has affected this which I can't account for or do anything about. 

Never mind!

I would change the SSID. We have had problems with our AC Pro's. We have a mixed enviroment where we are using old netgear AP's and the AC Pro's. If a device first connects to the AC Pro it will not connect to the old netgear's. Def authentication problem, but this may be your problem in reverse. 

@jackmcconnell wrote:

Just chiming in again on this thread to say that I haven't been able to pin down the issue. 

I've just learned to switch the TV on, wait for the wifi in the TV to re-connect to the network after ~15 seconds, and then open the app that I want to use. It's not ideal but everything works absolutely fine. Just odd that it started when I got the UniFi AP and was fine when using the built-in wifi in my Billion router but it may have co-incided with a firmware update for the TV that has affected this which I can't account for or do anything about. 

Never mind!