Accepted Solution

Security Gateway Help with Wireless LAN?

[ Edited ]

I purchased a handful of Wireless APs, a Security Gateway, and a Switch.  I haven't bought the Key, but thought about it.  I have a router I like and don't want to give up.  Given that, is there any benefit to having the Security Gateway installed?  I originally thought I'd use it as the host to manage the APs, but as I've been doing research, it appears that may not be how Ubiquiti works.

I've previously used Ruckus, and it has a controller / host, that all the APs connect to and are managed from.  Is that not a function of the USG?  

I'd prefer to avoid installing software to a computer/server to manage the APs, and rather have dedicated hardware doing it.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

TayHuck

Accepted Solutions
Established Member
Kudos: 660
Solutions: 204

Re: Security Gateway Help with Wireless LAN?

If you are happy with your current router you do not need the USG.

If you want dedicated hardware to run a controller on the local lan you need a Cloud Key. You can also run the controller "in the cloud" if you use something like AWS or Digital Ocean.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Established Member
Kudos: 660
Solutions: 204

If you are happy with your current router you do not need the USG.

If you want dedicated hardware to run a controller on the local lan you need a Cloud Key. You can also run the controller "in the cloud" if you use something like AWS or Digital Ocean.
Highlighted

Thats what I thought, thanks for confirming for me!