Setting up 2 UAP-v2 , please advise.

Hi All,

We setup two UAP in our small offce.  One AP is near my office and the second one is 30ft across the hall.  I actually created two SSID because the second AP is for our development staff. However, I noticed I'm able to use both SSID with good signals whem Im near my office. However, when I was near the second AP,  the internet is very slow even though its connected. How should I configure these 2 access points? Thank you.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 5

Re: Setting up 2 UAP-v2 , please advise.

Can you please provide more details on your setup?

What is your internet connection?  What is your router/firewall?  How are the UAPs connected?

Kudos: 1672
Solutions: 506

Hello @wangxjj123,

How is the second UAP mounted and how is it connected?

Does your client connect to the second UAP?

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
UCK-G2 • UCK

Hello,

Both UAP were mounted on the wall.  Since the 1st AP is near me, clients across the hallway which is about 30ft away has low signals. 

I created a WLAN group and this is the only way I can apply a second SSID to the 2nd AP. THanks.

Kudos: 1672
Solutions: 506

Hello @wangxjj123,

I would recommend ceiling mounting the UAP.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
UCK-G2 • UCK
Established Member
Kudos: 182
Solutions: 51

If you are going to have the ability to connect to both SSIDs (APs) and want to make sure you only connect to the closest one, you need to do some tuning.

Please post a screenshot of this:

Settings > Maintenance > Show System Config

You'll want to turn down the power as much as required to make sure you don't have excessive overlap. For 2.4ghz, this probably means setting the power to Low.

If this is not sufficient, you'll most likely want to start tuning the Minimum RSSI.