Scheduled maintenance: Community available only in read-only mode until 6:00 AM (PT)
Accepted Solution

Setting up Guest Captive Portal with No Authentication w/Promotional URL...Not working.

Hi,

I am new to unifi, and I have run into something that troubles me slightly. I have 10+ UniFi AC-AP Pro with Edgerouter X and a UniFi PoE 24port Switch.

Unifi Controller is Cloud Key ver. 5.9.29.1

I'm trying to setup a simple Guest Control Captive Portal.

Using 'No Authentication' + Promotional URL (to client's web page)

I was expecting all the guest going thru below steps. Correct me if I'm not understanding correctly.

Guest Joining WiFi >> No Authentication >> Connection Allowed >> Redirect to url on 'Promotional URL:.

Below is screenshot of what I have setup.

Guest Control-1.jpgGuest Control-3.jpgGuest Control-4.jpgGuest Control-2.jpg

I'm still seeing Captive Portal TOU screen first. Is there anyway to bypass and redirect to Promotional URL?

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions
Veteran Member
Kudos: 1370
Solutions: 238

Re: Setting up Guest Captive Portal with No Authentication w/Promotional URL...Not working.

@PYPRO You probably missed that link refenced in my gist which explains you need to switch to the LegacyJSP portal and enable customizations. Then install the custom index.html file in the appropriate portal directory for the site.

Art of WiFi
Check out our UniFi API browser tool on GitHub. The PHP API client which it uses, can be found here on GitHub.
The thread on our UniFi Device Search tool can be found here, also check out our Captive Portal solutions for UniFi.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Veteran Member

Re: Setting up Guest Captive Portal with No Authentication w/Promotional URL...Not working.

@PYPRO Welcome to these forums.

Have a look here, last time I tested it this method was working fine:

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/205202640-UniFi-Guest-Portal-Promotional-URL-Automatic-Redir...

Art of WiFi
Check out our UniFi API browser tool on GitHub. The PHP API client which it uses, can be found here on GitHub.
The thread on our UniFi Device Search tool can be found here, also check out our Captive Portal solutions for UniFi.
Emerging Member
Kudos: 21
Solutions: 2

Ah had not seen that before myself.

So that link basically changes the landing page so it automatically clicks through the connect page to bounce people straight to the promo page.

Veteran Member

@R-Styles wrote:

Ah had not seen that before myself.

So that link basically changes the landing page so it automatically clicks through the connect page to bounce people straight to the promo page.

@R-Styles Correct

Art of WiFi

Thank you very much for quick replies.

I've applied as link instruction.

Reboot all the devices and tried again. And it's still showing Authentication page.

I've simplified unchecking TOU+Logo...now it's showing below.Portal-TOU.jpg

Once I click 'Connect' it's redirect to the Promotional URL. But it's taking really long time to move to Promotional url address.

Wonder why...

Thanks.

Veteran Member

@PYPRO You probably missed that link refenced in my gist which explains you need to switch to the LegacyJSP portal and enable customizations. Then install the custom index.html file in the appropriate portal directory for the site.

Art of WiFi

Followed your last instruction and url forwad seems working.

I need to take a look little more but it works on iPhone/iPad fine but Android devices seemed having trouble redirect to the url.

Only thing I see different was http vs https. If I change redirect url to http works okay both iPhone & android. 

Thank you.

Kudos: 1
Solutions: 1

[ Edited ]

Do you still have the instructions on how to bypass the guest authentication page and automatically get redirected to the promotional page? The link above no longer exists and gets redirected to a different article.

Veteran Member

[ Edited ]

This gist contains an example index.html file to redirect users to an external page without authorizing them. There's a link there to a help page that also explains your use case:

https://gist.github.com/malle-pietje/c030e9d6ccdc1c3ddfdfc4363ba79489

EDIT: this is key bit from the help article:

“All that's required is that the form POST to /guest/login to authorize the user access to the guest network”

Simply use javascript/jQuery to post the form automatically.

Art of WiFi