Highlighted
Solutions: 1
Accepted Solution

Setting up Guest WIFI no usg Please Help!!

I'm looking to setup a Guest wireless using the following - 

Unifi AP-pro's connected to Unifi switches

Here's the hard part using Windows SBS2011 server for DHCP and TP-Link TL-ER5120 router

Currently I have a Lan on 10.90.62.x and the Corp Lan will draw IP's from it. I want to segeragate the Guest SSID to 10.90.72.x

Currently no VLans's in place. 

I can create Vlans on the AP's and Switches not sure if it matters on the server and router.

Accepted Solutions

Re: Setting up Guest WIFI no usg Please Help!!

Just to let everybody know this is how I got this figured out.

This is to put on a internal IP and deal DHCP to just the Guest wireless you are setting up. 

Wan Port to Internal IP - Whatever it picks up on your DHCP or give static (Under the Networks tab is WAN you can specify there) When you setup for internal use you need to specify the Inform to you Controller IP internally. You can do this by SSH or Web interface. I also had to do on the Controller Manually to make sure it could log into the USG

Lan Port to Internal port - Connect to anywhere on your network switches

Configure a Network (under network tab) as a bridge network as in 192.168.10.X /24 turn DHCP off

Build a second Network for Guest wlan enable DHCP 192.168.5.X /24 on VLAN X (whatever you'd like) make sure to select guest purpose (not sure it matters in the end but that's the way i have it)

Build a WLAN under the Wireless network Tab and make sure to assign it to the same VLan as above. How you'd like that WLAN to work is up to you outside of that.

I really hope that helps. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Kudos: 3006
Solutions: 810

Hello @fraserlm,

Welcome to the community!

You need to create a second DHCP pool, create the VLAN on the router and switch and tag it to the SSID.

Regards,
Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W 3x • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK
Established Member
Kudos: 371
Solutions: 47

That router only supports Port-Based vlans so I think that would be a show-stopper for you, added to the fact SBS2011 really only supports a single-homed network interface. I'd be tempted to replace the router with one that properly understands vlans, and use that to provide DHCP services for the secondary vlan rather than trying to get SBS doing it. 

If you found this post helpful feel free to sprinkle some Kudos!

Thanks for the responce. That would be a better choice but not sure I can get the GM to pay for a new router yet. 

Do you think it would work to build a new DHCP scope and make check the box that says that no one can see anyone else on the network? That way I get more addresses and create some security? It's not the best method but I think the best i can do for this point in time.

If I do build the extra DHCP scope can I still have the traffic going out the same default gateway as the original?

Hello @fraserlm,

You need to use VLANs, otherwise just keep it on your CORE and add GUEST Policies to the GUEST SSID. ( they can see all the devices but not access them )

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W 3x • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M

So I've gone out and got a USG and need to put that inline now. I'm not sure the best way. 

I want to use it too seperate the corp wireless from the guest.

Advice?

Hello @fraserlm,

Create VLANs in the controller and tag the GUEST VLAN/SSID with GUEST Policies, also tag the VLAN to the GUEST SSID.

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG

Where's the best place to place it in the Network? I was thinking it should be after my router but before my switches?

When I put it on the network its not going to just start dealing out DHCP leases is it?

Hello @fraserlm,

What sorry?

You configure the VLAN on the router/switches/UAPs.

Clients connecting to that SSID with get a IP from that VLAN.

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG

Sorry I needed to clairify what I'm doing.

I've gone and purchased a USG to be able to provide access for my Guest Wireless.

I'm unclear where I should place it without distrubing my current setup for one? I think it should go between my router and Switches but i'm not sure? I was not planning it having a direct connection out to the internet but if that is best pratice I could.

How do it setup the VLAN's so that my Corp Wireless and Guest Wireless can get DHCP from their repective scopes?

How do I need to setup the USG to be able to work correctly in my setup?

Hello @fraserlm,

Didn't your current router support VLANs?

Replace the router with the USG...

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG
Established Member
Kudos: 305
Solutions: 80

@fraserlm wrote:

How do it setup the VLAN's so that my Corp Wireless and Guest Wireless can get DHCP from their repective scopes?

Best practice would have it take the place of your existing router. Next best would be to put your existing router in bridge mode. Can you tell us what connects you to the internet?

For your question above, this will step you through it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dhmS237wsw

No the current one was a  TP-Link TL-ER5120 router it does only port based VLAN

I'd like to replace the current one but that's just not fesible at the moment. I'm just not ready to do that. I have to reconfigure the whole business network to do that. 

Hello @fraserlm,

Put it behind the router and reconfigure the network on the USG Man Happy

Regards,
Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG

I currently have ISP to a Switch in bridge mode that then goes to a  TP-Link TL-ER5120 router then to a TP-link switch TL-SG1016 then over to the Unifi Switches

if i put it behind the router it will pick up an internal IP on the WAN port right?

Hello @fraserlm,

Correct.

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG

So if the Wan port is picking up an internal IP then how do I then configure the Lan Port? It would have to also back into the internal IP also would it not or do I Vlan it and have it on a different network? 

Hello @fraserlm,

You will have to use a LOCAL Address range that is not being used in your network right now.

You can configure this in the controller under settings

Settings > Networks

Regards,

Glenn R.

USG-4-PRO • USG

Local IP range is 10.90.62.x

Was planning on using 10.90.55.x on the USG

How will the AP's  guest wireless see that network?