Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Setup controller on another device

I currently have the controller for my AP's on a laptop. I want to setup another Window OS desktop as my new controller, What will have to happen in order for this to be a smoother transition? 

Emerging Member
Kudos: 59
Solutions: 9

Re: Setup controller on another device

Throwing salt over your shoulder and sacrificing a virgin to the IT gods is always helpful :-)
Highlighted
Kudos: 69
Solutions: 20

Easiest way if you are staying on the same network, to download a backup, shut down your current controller, install your new controller and set the IP of your new controller computer to the IP that laptop had.
Emerging Member
Kudos: 44
Solutions: 24

Alternatively, if you are not planning to decommission the current system (and you need to keep it on the same IP address), you can use the Unifi controller's migration feature. Keep in mind that any system that is going to serve as the Unifi controller should have a static IP (DHCP reservation/static mapping is fine) and/or a hostname that will remain constant since the Unifi devices have an "inform url" that looks to an IP or hostname and therefore won't work if the machine is 'floating'

elcid89 wrote:
Throwing salt over your shoulder and sacrificing a virgin to the IT gods is always helpful :-)

Already tried that, I seem to make a bigger mess