Setup for 5 storey house

Hi everyone,

my family bought a small house with 3000sqft spread over 5 stories (including basement), and I'm now trying to figure out how to provide wifi coverage across all floors. But as I've never done more than a simple one-router setup before I'd like to get some input here to see if I'm moving in the right direction with my planning, or if I need to change my planned setup.

The problem I have is that our fibre access point is in the basement, and I do not have any CAT cables inside the hous, nor do I have the possibility to lay them. Performance is important in the basement and on the ground floor (I don't expect to get perfect speed, but it should be as good as possible via wifi), the upper floors would require just a stable connection for web surfing. 

The good thing however is that right next to the access point we've got a big open space that is unblocked, so I'm hoping that any signals will have a better chance of 'travelling upwards'.

Here's our floor plan. The yellow area is the open space 'terrace' in the basement, it's open all the way to the top of the building. The access point is right next to it in a small store room (red X marks the spot):

layout

So, here's what I was thinking of doing (please let me know if I'm completely off, or where things can be improved):

In the store room:

Unifi USG

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi-routing/usg/ 

Unifi Cloud Key

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-cloud-key/

Unifi Switch 8

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi-switching/unifi-switch-8/

Unifi AP AC Pro

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-pro/

And then on the 2nd floor (or 1st floor, depending on how you count; the one above the ground floor): 

Unifi AP AC Lite (connected via Wireless Uplink to the AP AC Pro in the basement)

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-lite/

Does this make sense? Do I need more devices? Starting 'small' (e.g. only 1 or 2 additional APs on the upper floors) and extending later if required is also an option

Kudos: 64
Solutions: 25

Re: Setup for 5 storey house

@Modery Instead of the UAP AC PRO and the AC Lite, use the UAP AC Mesh PRO AP. Better performance.

Apart from that, if those devices cover the area, no additional devices are required.

When you receive a solution to your question/issue, don't forget to mark your thread as solved and to give kudo's to the people who have helped you out!
Paid Remote Support Available!!!
Veteran Member
Kudos: 1175
Solutions: 196

Why not run two Ethernet cables vertically in the terrace? That would allow for placing APs where you need them. The AC-Pro is outdoor rated, as is the AC-M. The AC-M-Pro may be too large, and it would not recommend it for a home (house).

Else check for unused chimneys, those are also good for running cables easily.

Thanks for the feedback!

I'll check if I can run 2 cables up the outside wall, contractor coming to advise in the next few days.

But what does "outdoor rated" mean? I'm living in Singapore, s snow is not an issue. But we get very strong rains from time to time, so how can I mount the AP outside in a supported way? I was looking for some information on this, but didn't find anything helpful so far

Kudos: 70

If your house is made of concrete or other very solid material, I'd suggest you figure out how to run ethernet from a centralized location -- like a middle floor? -- or home runs your basement? -- and then install one AP per floor, if the coverage needs require more, install more, run them in very low power. We have a 3 story home with one AP per floor and a second AP in the nanny's quarters in the rear of the house. This provides excellent 5GHz coverage thoruhgout the house, which is important as we have multi-gigabit+ of connectivity from our ISP, and I'm a net.speed freak with respect to our home LANs. Man Happy

The USG isn't really super ready for prime-time if you want or need IPv6 the last time I checked, but it makes an OK standalone router I suppose. I have tried to adopt them a few times over the past sevearl years, but there are always some bug that prevents me adopting the USG or USG Pro, so I'm currently using Edgerouters and waiting patiently for the USG to catch up. I must admit thoough the deep packet inspection feature of the USG and UniFi controller is pretty neat.

If you need more than one AP per floor, there's always the UAP-IW In-Wall product, for tiny APs designed for each room. That's probably overkill, but not if your house is made of concrete or plaster that blocks all wifi signals... we have one place like that, I'll be installing UAP IW Pro in every small room and UAP Pro in the larger ones.

Established Member
Kudos: 216
Solutions: 30

Modery wrote: But what does "outdoor rated" mean? 

It means it's UV rated. If you run regular network cable outdoors it won't last very long before it starts to crack and split because of the sun shining on it. The cable can then fill with water and pipe it right into your router/switch Man Sad

Run it in a conduit if at all possible (helps protect against nosy squirrels and rats as well as weather).

-Jamie M.

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1175
Solutions: 196

Outdoor rated: The AC-M is absolutely made for outdoors. The AC-Pro can be used outdoors as well as long as there is some kind of roof over it and it is in an upright position (not ceiling mounted) with the LAN cable facing downward.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 6
Solutions: 1

Don't assume just because you have a 5-story house you are going to need lots of AP's.  Start off by getting one, and try it in different spots around the house.  You might be surprised.

I lived in a small 1-story with basement house.  1,500 sq ft.  I could not get from the AP in the basement at one end of the house to cover the whole house.  It was totally bizarre.  Maybe due to being old house with plaster and lots of minerals in the walls.  Dunno.

Helped a friend outfit their 3 story house.  1 AP on first floor, just fine.

You might be surprised.  But the mesh system would be nice if you do find holes in your coverage.  Just shove another AP in a corner and you're good.

Highlighted
Emerging Member
Kudos: 6
Solutions: 1

BTW you don't need a cloud key, unless you just want one for fun & educational purposes.