Scheduled maintenance: Community will be offline Monday June 17th, 1:00 AM - 6:00 AM (PT)

Should I use a PoE switch or the PoE injector?

I am planning to install a few UAP AC LR and they will all be located next to a power outlet. Should I prefer their supplied POE injector over the use of a 8 port 150w POE switch?

Which option would you feel is more reliable? Cost wise besides the added cost of the POE switch I guess I would also have to be more conscious about the quality of the Cat 5/6 cable, if used for POEing the nodes. 

Emerging Member
Kudos: 1

Re: Should I use a PoE switch or the PoE injector?

if you already have home runs or to to add them why wil u complicate your setup with more points of failure 

plus ugly install with wires hanging off your wall

plus always plan for future growth so if your needs call for 8 i would do 16

Kudos: 1

Go with a PoE Switch,  that way if a AP stops responding, you just have to login to the Unifi Controller, click on the switch and power cycle the port.  No need to goto the AP to power cycle it.

As for number of ports, if you plan to expand the network in the future go with a larger switch.

Thanks for your replies. 

I am not worried about the aesthetic of the installation because all the AP are not in sight. 

But I see a very valid point in using the POE switch for the option of power cycling any port/node through the controller. We have a winner!