Established Member
Kudos: 639
Solutions: 49

Re: Slow Internet Speed with AC-PRO

@DTOM1017 => and this is why I ask to test with proper tools : native application on the same hardware to compare with the web browser which is limited by the software design.

As @skippy911 mentioned he got the same performance on the web basedand the native, then we may think there is a problem, as the native one clearly, (especially on laptop) provide much more performance (you simply do a network trace and realize it's using multi sockets, and you check using the intel gadge the temperature and usage ofthe memory/cpu and find that ti's more balanced, including the temperature), but as usual, we end up testing thousand of non sense not realistic scenario, and increase the number of paramters/useless data to an extend we don't get any conclusion or progress.

But you know what, I feel, it's time for me to stop to help people to get better result, as this is a dichotomy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dichotomy) task, which obvisouly is time consuming, and I sadly don't feel to do more

Kudos: 223
Solutions: 30

@di3 I'm not mixing anything up.  You said, "app on phone, especially iPhone are not multithreaded".  I asked for a reference.  And then later you linked to an Apple developer document that says on the first line, "each process (application) in OS X or iOS is made up of one or more threads", which just contradicts your original statement.   You complained "your UDP test is a nice number isn't it ;-) But actually, except for video streams like facetime/whatsapp/IMS/wifi calling and bittorrent, everything is mostly TCP".   When I said I actually did a TCP test, you reversed yourself with "concerning TCP test using iPerf3, it means than you are not even testing a real life scenario".

@skippy911  I think we've mostly covered things.  Sorry for the noise.

Kudos: 1

No problem all and thanks for the help. I'll post screenshots in the morning but I can promise one thing, it is using the same server on both web based and app based Speedtest.

here are the screencaps as promised:

WEBSITE

Screen Shot 2017-06-13 at 7.39.38 AM.png

NATIVE MACOS APP

Screen Shot 2017-06-13 at 7.38.34 AM.png 

Kudos: 172
Solutions: 1

You have a USG and 2 AP AC Pros. What kind of switch in between are you running?

Established Member

@skippy911 => clearly there is something doggy here.

My setup :

• USG-Pro-4P
  • US-16XG
  • US-24-500W
  • UAP-AC-Pro
  • Macbook air 2013, core i7, 8GB of RAM => important, this is the small one with thermal limitation

First, check on the wifi connectivity :

• 802.11ac 2x2 => 866 Mbps max
  • I'm 4 meters away not Line of sight, so the PHY speed is logical

Capture d’écran 2017-06-13 à 19.52.53.pngCapture d’écran 2017-06-13 à 20.04.09.png

I did 5 runs for each, website and native app

Website : chrome Version 59.0.3071.86 (Build officiel) (64 bits) 

• speed around 205/290 Mbps
  • latency at 4-5 ms
  • single connection

Capture d’écran 2017-06-13 à 20.05.37.png

Native App :

• speed around 225/300 Mbps
  • latnecy at 3 ms
  • 2 connections

Capture d’écran 2017-06-13 à 20.13.08.png

So, something doggy here

Can you describe your network a little please ? In case (normally this is the same except the number of sockets open to download/upload)

Note : I did tested with Safari, and firefox (web based speedtest are really not viable) :

Capture d’écran 2017-06-13 à 20.22.57.pngCapture d’écran 2017-06-13 à 20.24.03.png

Capture d’écran 2017-06-13 à 20.22.57.png
Capture d’écran 2017-06-13 à 20.24.03.png

OTN is ATT Fiber 1Gb UP/DOWN

Router is on full bypass to the USG.

Router is ATT provided Pace 5268AC

Lan side of the USG is plugged into a 16 port Netgear GS116NA

Cabling is all Cat5e network cables.

I agree something is going on for sure. 

Kudos: 172
Solutions: 1

@skippy911 wrote:

OTN is ATT Fiber 1Gb UP/DOWN

Router is on full bypass to the USG.

Router is ATT provided Pace 5268AC

Lan side of the USG is plugged into a 16 port Netgear GS116NA

Cabling is all Cat5e network cables.

I agree something is going on for sure. 

If you do a speed test, that is built into the Unifi controller, what are you getting?

Absolute crap. 99% of the time it doesn't run and when it does it's in the low 100's
Established Member

@skippy911 => is the controller in your place ? 

The unifi controller is a single TCP stream, and quite consistent normally as really simple, 
The limit I found was on the phone,and mine is in the cloud (AWS) : more you upgrade your phone, more you get out of it (at least for me using iOS devices) :

• iPhone 5 => 150 Mbps
  • iPhone 6/6s => 225 Mbps
  • iPhone 7/7plus => 275 Mbps

[ Edited ]

di3: I am not trying to get fast speeds from my phone I am trying to get the fastest speeds from my Macbook Pro, and yes the controller is in my place.

Established Member

[ Edited ]

@skippy911 => fair enough !

So, this is clear now, if on a simple controller within premises, you cannot get consistent speed then most probably the reason is WITHIN the premises.

First of all :

• your "double NAT" => with OTN + Router "in bridge mode" + USG, this is bad, and will probably cause you a lot of problem

Note: those PACE router are used all over the world (SingTel in Singapore provide them), and they are "given for free" by operators, are cheap end router, not secured and even not updated regularly, so, don't expect a lot, and when dropped from the netwrk, everything run smoother : TV over IP usage, any kind of nagivation ...

• the switch, the netgear => those have really bad buffering, and after using them multiple time in few place, all of them have been replace for the surprise of the customer : NAS/SAN and overall performance are much better

Note : those Netgear, at least in v2 use web interface, but before, you need to have a windows application, so old and crappy, that you need at least a VM to simply set the switch IP address, and as it was static configuration file, they have a gap between the application configuration generated and the firmware

So, from what i see now :

• streamline your network, with less routing processing, yes as LAN speed this is fine, but every small delay for wifi will cause you performance drop
  • see to test another switch instead of the netgear cheap end, if you can try to low end unifi US-8-60W, you'll see directly the difference, maybe test without any switch first, simply the USG + UAP-AC to compare

goal when i get next paycheck is to buy the US-24-250W. I do not know of any way to get the USG to work with the Pace router other than in bridge mode aka DMZPlus+ mode. Pace is 192.168.1.x and USG is 192.168.2.x and on WAN it sees the IP of the OTN which is the ATT IP.

Established Member

@skippy911 => before you go further

• for the US-25-250W => do you have a separate room for it ? it's a datacenter/office rack type of switch, and this is really noisy ! use the US-16-150W instead if this provide enough port, this is silent in almost 99% of the case as it runs cooler, and provide the same if not better performance than the US-24-250 (model over 4 years old now, a new model arrive, but same hardware, same noise)
  • for the USG and the PACE installation on ATT uVerse, there are few threads to explain how to do it, like this one here, BUT, it seems ATT force you to use their router, especially if you use the TV from them, but else, they could allow you (it seems for 49 US$+) to get rid of the PACE router, and connect directly your equipment.

Yah i read the thread you linked but the person was never able to get att to do the 49$ bypass so I will have to keep with the DMZplus pass through to the USG. I am able to hit the full speeds with lan ports coming from the netgear just the AC-PRO seems the bottle neck in terms of barely breaking the 300mbps mark on all my speedtests. I may try to hook one of the AC-PROs directly to the PACE router and see if it is truly the double nat causing an issue with wireless or if it is something else.

BTW I do have a utility closet with A/C units, etc that the US-24-250W would go into so noise isnt a concern. Are you stating there is a new version of the US-24-250W or are all the 24 ports POE switches from Ubiquiti the 4 year old model you stated? Reason I am going for the 24port model vs 16port is I can get it for almost the same price as the 16port.

Established Member

@skippy911 => yes, it'll be good to test with less equipment, especially directly on the PACE and see the result

The new US-24-L2-POE is actually a new model with hot plug PSU : AC/DC choices, and you can have 150, 250, 500W PSU.

The US-24-500W is a design and hardware board from 4 years ago i meant : the chipset inside is maybe a little bit problematic in a certain way, as not done using high lithography quality maybe, so, it's running hot and the fan running high speed almost all the time (you'll see plenty of threads about it, and how to replace their fans to "silent one"

The US-16-150W have this advantage to come with a newer design and chipset, allowing more things, and running cooler

Here, a 16 port, providing 30+ W of power for 3 UAP-AC-v2 : fan is of, even at 69 degrees

Capture d’écran 2017-06-14 à 10.19.12.png

Here, my test US-24-250W, providing only 3.6W to a UAP-AC-Pro : it's a 48 degrees C (it's a "cold day here with rain in Singapore"), and the fan at level 1 is already unberable, but nicer than level 2 or 3 (this is like be in a jet engine)

Capture d’écran 2017-06-14 à 10.18.47.pngCapture d’écran 2017-06-14 à 10.18.32.png

Good to know thanks for that I'll be looking into the 16 port model you mentioned.

US-24-L2-POE Is it not out yet? I can't find any info on it anywhere not even on ubiquity website.
Established Member

@skippy911 => it's still under alpha/beta testing now. SO, this is why I do feel it's maybe not the best choice to get the US-24-250W now.

The new model provide desktop format too (removable rack support), dual extractible PSU with choice of AC and DC.

Please, still update the thread with your findings with the test without switch to compare.

Diret connecting the APs to the Pace router I am seeing the 600ish range for throughput so the bottleneck appears to be the PACE internal firewall rules even with dmz+ selected or the USG.