Kudos: 10
Solutions: 1
Accepted Solution

Slow Wireless Performance on new UAP-AC-PROs

[ Edited ]

Hello -

Finally got our new UAP-AC-PROs about a week ago but have had complaints about slow speeds since installaiton.  We have a 800/800 fiber connection with 14 UAP-AC-PROs connected to a 24 port UniFi switch.

Wired clients routinely get around 800 megs without issue.  Wireless connections connected via AC get a max of about 450M.  This speed doesn't change much with one wireless client or multiple wireless clients.  During a maintenance window, I even connected just one UAP-AC-PRO to this connection (disconnected the LAN) and had similar speed performance.

Out of curoisity, removed the UAP-AC-PROs and used a compeitor product and routinly was able to get around 725+ speed.   I've ruled out interference, signal strength and channel width configuration issues.   UAP-AC-PROs are using latest firmware (3.4.8.3291)

So my question is, for those of you with super fast WAN connections - is anyone else seeing slow connections/performance on these new access points?  

Thanks

Accepted Solutions

Re: Slow Wireless Performance on new UAP-AC-PROs

[ Edited ]

Hey All -

I wanted to provide an update and a comparison - obviously speedtest.net results vary but this is a more accurate representation for my purposes as thats where users are accustomed to running tests.  I've decided to sell the UAP units here locally and installed a different product instead.  Hopefully the UAP-AC-Pro line will be able to get similar speeds in the future but for now had to make a change to keep folks happy.  The pictures provided were taking with just one wireless client - and this was on a 800/800 fiber connection.

New APs:

UAP AC Pro APs:

View solution in original post

Emerging Member

Just thought I'd deposit my $0.02 worth of informationn into this thread - I've been watching it for awhile and was a bit perplexed with all the information going back and forth.

Comparing the Ruckus R600 (9U1) model against the UAP-AC-PROs I'm not seeing why certain people keep crowing that the UAP-AC-PRO is performing poorly or is under powered.  

In my tests the UAP-AC-PRO gives the R600 a run for its money no question - this was tested on various 3x3 computers, various internal file transfers speed reports, and yes the dreaded public speedtest.net testing.  (The R600 doesn't have iPerf installed so I couldn't use that) 

With a 1300 PHY rate, the devices performed very similarlly.  The only items missing from the UAP-AC-PRO LINE that I can tell is the auto noise mitigation (channel fly - where it scans and hops channels automatically), the ability for the R600 to auto select the best power level with the neighboring devices and lastly, 802.11R/802.11K/802.11D & DFS support.

Would love to see other's testing on other brands but for me, I'll be sticking with the less expensive UAP-AC-PROs thar perform similarly to models 3x as much.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Emerging Member

[ Edited ]

Your speeds are consistent with what I'm getting, though in my case, I have a 1000M x 1000M fiber connection.

Regardless, I get about 400-450M max on an AC connection with the AP PROs (800M+ on a consumer Asus product) -  I've raised a similar question about UAP AC Pro performance and was advised that the UniFi line is opitmized for many connections on the AP..not optimized for max throughput for just a few wireless clients.

In my case, it didn't matter the quantity of clients the speeds were on average about the same.

This is probably a question someone from Ubiquiti should provide an official answer on.

[ Edited ]

No offense but I find that answer unacceptable.

In fact, the box states the 5.0 GHz radio supports up to 1300M.  Obviously that's marketing "puffery" but I can't believe these devices either have that weak of a CPU/chipset to only support around 450Mbps on a 5.0 GHz connection or can't optimize their performance in a different fashion for when there are few clients connected.

Having been bitten by the former UAP-AC (square AP) debacle (Zero Handoff anyone?) I can't believe the new APs would have this severe of a performance problem.

Again no offense, at least it would appear I'm not alone with the poor wireless performance.

SuperUser
Kudos: 5085
Solutions: 1444

are you using 2x2 or 3x3 antennas in the client devices?

you'll need 3x3 / HT80 to get the full 1300 mbit/sec (MCS9 / 256QAM 5/6) offered by the UAP.

2x2 devices will top out around 800 (2x2 HT80 / MCS9). 

400 sounds like 2x2 with HT40.

[ Edited ]

3x3 antennas.

It's odd to me that a competitor product is able to more closely staturate the WAN speed that's available than these new top of the line AC Pro access points.

SuperUser

Okay, and did you set the UAPs to HT80 (IIRC, they're HT40 on 5GHz by default - though that might've been here because I had UAP-PROs installed first).

[ Edited ]

Yes, HT80, tried various channels and TX Power settings as well.

This appears to be something specific to the hardware/software in these devices not allowing a higher throughput (it also appears another user is having something similar occur based on his/her reply in this thread)

Using a UAP-AC-PRO are you able to get 800+ meg speeds while connected via AC on 5.0 GHz?

Thanks

Emerging Member
Kudos: 86

[ Edited ]

Seeing the same issues over gigabit internet.. I posted on the beta forum  but no resolution. I also posted on reddit . A lot of people a just content with the "device supports more throughput on multiple clients" explanation but that is just no excuse.

[ Edited ]

@naf

Thanks - glad its not just me.

I can't access your beta link (Access Denied) but is this something that Ubiquiti at least acknowledges?  Do you know (since I can't see the post) if there is a fix planned or is there just some boiler plate language and turning a blind eye to it?

If not, I'll need to get with the owner to determine next steps - no sense hanging on to all this hardware if it doesn't meet our needs and doesn't match the specs on the box.

Emerging Member

mark1210 wrote:

@naf

Thanks - glad its not just me.

I can't access your beta link (Access Denied) but is this something that Ubiquiti at least acknowledges?  Do you know (since I can't see the post) if there is a fix planned or is there just some boiler plate language and turning a blind eye to it?

If not, I'll need to get with the owner to determine next steps - no sense hanging on to all this hardware if it doesn't meet our needs and doesn't match the specs on the box.

You can sign up to the beta forum: https://account.ubnt.com/manage/settings/beta then you'll have access to the beta firmware and forums posted in the relevant list : http://community.ubnt.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/Forums

I don't think anyone has formally acknowledged that this is an issue. I got the same response from another member saying that these devices are better at multiple clients.. Maybe if this gets more visibility, they may finally acknowledge this.

I have an Asus AC3200 and it beats this AP out of the box without tinkering with any of the antenna settings or the like. 

Not good it hasn't been acknowledged - especially with the big push lately by various ISPs to increase speed and push gigapower speeds.  

Thanks for the link - will go through the beta sign up process.

My concern is that this is a hardware problem and not something fixable by firmware (similar to the square AC units that supposedly was going to support zero handoff but never did to my knowledge).

The competitor product I mentioned above was an EnGenius AC model - but that asus looks to be a beast for a "consumer" model.

Emerging Member

mark1210 wrote:

Not good it hasn't been acknowledged - especially with the big push lately by various ISPs to increase speed and push gigapower speeds.  

Thanks for the link - will go through the beta sign up process.

My concern is that this is a hardware problem and not something fixable by firmware (similar to the square AC units that supposedly was going to support zero handoff but never did to my knowledge).

The competitor product I mentioned above was an EnGenius AC model - but that asus looks to be a beast for a "consumer" model.

Yeah, I am just as frustrated as you are with the new UAP-ACs... It just seems like Ubiquiti pushes out crippled products on the Unifi line that are never fleshed out completely before another model is announced and the same cycle begins again. I am trying to decide whether to sell these APs and move on to the another solution or play the waiting game with the somewhat nonexistent Ubiquiti support. 

Kudos: 31
Solutions: 8

So there is this thread and another going stating that the LR and LITE units also have lower than expected throughput.  So could this mean it's a firmware thing since between these two threads all three units, the entire new AC line, are exhibiting unstable throughput that is going to be addressed with firmware?  I am trying to debate at this point if I should go with lite units instead of pros if throughput isn't up to par since all I am basically achieving is getting my AC Capable clients into 5 Ghz territory on their own dedicated network as my internet tier is only 30 megabits.  Still not sure if I am going to see any benefit in upgrading or if I am just burning cash and should just leave things as they are.

Emerging Member

srpawski wrote:

So there is this thread and another going stating that the LR and LITE units also have lower than expected throughput.  So could this mean it's a firmware thing since between these two threads all three units, the entire new AC line, are exhibiting unstable throughput that is going to be addressed with firmware?  I am trying to debate at this point if I should go with lite units instead of pros if throughput isn't up to par since all I am basically achieving is getting my AC Capable clients into 5 Ghz territory on their own dedicated network as my internet tier is only 30 megabits.  Still not sure if I am going to see any benefit in upgrading or if I am just burning cash and should just leave things as they are.

I doubt they can fix this (they won't...but even if they wanted to) by way of firmware. These APs seem crippled out of the box. 

Kudos: 22
Solutions: 5

I would be totally fine with those speeds your gettings. If only I could consistently get more than 50 mbits without it dropping back to 5 mbits every so often...

Emerging Member

Hopefully someone from Ubiquiti can provide an official answer

On a side note, had an IT friend try a spare Aruba IAP220 I think thats the model it was (it has an embedded controller in the AP apparently) was able to get 840+ meg wirelessly on one device on the 1000x1000 connection.

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1127
Solutions: 200

irule311 wrote:

I would be totally fine with those speeds your gettings. If only I could consistently get more than 50 mbits without it dropping back to 5 mbits every so often...

Which makes me think the cause is either in your specfic devices, or else in your network set up. Your results are way off compared to the averages seen across the community....even compared to the results of members with complaints about the throughput.

Art of WiFi
Check out our UniFi API browser tool on GitHub. The PHP API client which it uses, can be found here on GitHub.
Details on our UniFi Device Search tool can be found here.
SuperUser

irule311 wrote:

you don't happen to be using a DFS channel for your country, do you?

Kudos: 101
Solutions: 12

[ Edited ]

The Ubiguiti AC models [all 4 models] are not, IMO, designed for performance --- they are designed for manageability and density. By Density --- Ubiguiti wants you to use lots of their gear in deployments.

So IMO the value proposition is manageability --- NOT performance. If you're looking for performance from Ubiguiti AC models like your PRO model and PERFORMANCE is the metric you are looking for --- consistent high throughput for capable wireless clients ---- you'll need to look elsewhere. Sorry to say!

David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Kudos: 22
Solutions: 5

[ Edited ]

@slooffmaster

I don't believe it is my devices, since with a consumer-grade linksys device, I am able to achieve stabe, consistent speeds.I'm running an edgerouter poe and am using the APs on the same subnet. Wired devices are able to achieve around 700+ speeds on iperf. Here is my issue.

@dpurgert

No, I don't believe I am. I am in the United States and am using channels 36, 40, 161.