Scheduled maintenance: Community will be offline Monday June 17th, 1:00 AM - 6:00 AM (PT)

Some beginner help needed

I need to replace our aging 14 AP Apple Airport network.

I'd like to test out the range of the AP in different locations, both internal and external, and determine exactly what I need from there.

I think I need to buy for the test the following:

• 1 off Security Gateway Router
  • 1 off UBI-UAB-AC Pro
  • 1 off Cloud Key Controller

Will the Cloud Key Controller plug directly into the router or do I also need a PoE Switch?

Amazon reviews seem to suggest that there is an old and a new version of the Router. If this is correct, how do I differentiate between the two?

Will the NVR software and Gen 2 Cloud Key work with non-unifi cameras?

Many thanks for any help.

Kudos: 302
Solutions: 48

Re: Some beginner help needed

[ Edited ]

Get an 8-Port PoE switch as well, like the US-8-60 (will do for powering CK and AP) or the US-8-150.

There are three USG models, the USG (3 port), the USG-Pro (4 port) and the USG-XG-8 (9 ports). Those will be replaced in the future by the (not yet available) UDM-series. For your test the USG-3P should do but if you have 14 APs today that looks like a larger deployment so you might consider the Pro (loud fans though!)

No, the Protect-NVR on the CK2+ only works with UniFi cameras.

Thank you for your reply.

I'm hoping that the Unify devices will reduce the AP count considerably. Hence the test.

I have a need to get an outdoor WiFi signal 400m away too, preferably directional. Is there a Unifi product that will do this?

Kudos: 4870
Solutions: 1288

Hello @ashscott,

Welcome to the community!

Any floorplans of your building? ( draw network drops on the plan )

You may also want to look into AmpliFi.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the help and welcome.

I'm not at the 'map' stage quite yet.

The equipment has arrived. Very impressed with the quality and features, and reasonably easy to set up.

2019-06-12 at 07.39.jpg

I'm seeing the above in my dashboard.

As I said in my first post, I'm replacing my aging Apple Airport equipment.

Airport.jpg

I have, currently, around 100 WiFi/ethernet connected devices with 84 IP reservations.

Rather than reconfigure these, I'd like to set my new Unifi equipment with identical settings, just changing the network name when I switch over from old to new.

Here's what I have in my Airport Extreme:2019-06-12 at 08.07.jpg2019-06-12 at 08.08.jpg

When I try to change the Unifi router to these settings I get red bars, as below.

2019-06-12 at 11.41.jpg

Please let me know what other info you might need to help to make this a painless transition once I've determined how many APs and switches I'll now need.

I'll be doing some Wifi range testing this morning and making a list of equipment from that. 

I always connect via cable if the equipment supports it and I have the house already covered with ethernet so it should be just plug 'n' play.

We have 3 floors and a basement and I currently use 4 Airport Expresses to cover outside (which I'll replace with Unifi APs once I've done my range tests.

It's mostly home automation devices along with a few iMacs, MacBooks and iPhones. I also have 5 Sky Q boxes which didn't play at all well with Google Wifi which is why I'm now trying Unifi as a replacement for my rotting Apple.

I do have some basic networking skills but it's DHCP, Gateways, subnets etc. that leave me confused.

There's a lot of enthusiasm for the Unifi products here, which is always a good sign.

So pleased to have found this forum!

I contacted support today via chat but they weren't too much help. I was just pointed at a Getting Started article.

If anyone here could point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it.

Hello @ashscott,

You need to change the DHCP range... it's 192.168.1.1/24... than you can't use the DHCP Range you're putting in.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x

Can I change the 192.168.1.1/24 to 10.0.1.1/24 and then set the DHCP range?

Hello @ashscott,

Yeah..

Regards,

Glenn R.