Sonicpoint to Unifi Questions

Please, can we keep this a serious conversation. Thanks!

Background:

We have a Sonicwall NSA 4600 that works as a true security appliance bewteen our lans, wlans, dmz, and wans. We also have 12 Sonicpoint N2's that are currently used, 2 ssid's, 1 for guest and one for employees. We used to have the older Sonicpoints, the Ni series and they gave us so much trouble, a lot of trouble but we didnt have the money to switch vendors. When the N2's, ACi's came out we bought a few to see if it would alleviate our troubles and it did. We have been running them for 2 years now about without a single issue with performance or client complaints, smooth workings.

Why the post?

We currently came across a brand new Unifi Switch 48 POE and 15 new Unifi AP AC-Lites for a very very reasonable proce and I have always been curious and wanted to use Unifi products from all the rave reviews and such. Again, we just did not have the money to do a complete vendor swap on wireless before but now..

Our current NSA 4600 will still be used, I would connect the Uni Switch to another port and set the zone for a seemeless wireless switch over. Not the question I need answered.

Currently we have 2-3 N2's on each floor with both radios, some rooms which average 400-600 sqft can have 80 plus people in them with 4-5 rooms on each floor, it works currently, on average there is 40-60 users per radio for a total of 120 clients.

I read the specs for the AC-Lite and in thoery it would work but I could not find any details specs regarding the Sonicpoint N2's, mainly output power, etc so I cant compare if the range would be the same or less?

Does anyone have expirience with a good volume of clients on the AP AC-Lites? Would the same amount of Unifi APs be used or less or more?

If I missed any crucial info just ask!

Thanks!!

Jason

SuperUser
Kudos: 8519
Solutions: 1411

Re: Sonicpoint to Unifi Questions

Jason, I'm not sure I see the point. If you already have a bunch

of installed access points and you're satisifed with them, why

bother to switch?

While UniFi radios do a fine job, and are used world-wide, there

is no 'magic' in WiFi [at least this week]. While the UAP-AC-Lite

will handle a reasonable number of clients, it's at the low end,

and most installers would recommend a step up for crowds.

What do you hope to accomplish?    Dave

> HQ in Seacoast region New Hampshire U.S.A.
> Ubiquiti Certified Trainer [UCT] for:
     UBWA [AirMax] / UEWA [UniFi] / UBRSS [routers]
UBNT.NH@gmail.com

Well the main feature I like with Unifi products is that they actually support Radius Accoutning and we can see in the controller who is logged in and what their current rates and ip address are and data used. Within the sonicwall ap's they dont support radius accounting at all and through radius 802.1x auth they are ghost users and devices, it doesnt know who is who or which device is what, just generic authentication

The unifi controller has a little more features and from what I have tested so far, seems more stable and reliable, like band steering (Sonicpoints do not support), downlink rate limits per client( sonicwall does but it is buggy at times so we dont use it, global rate limiting is great but not per client)

Also Unifi has mesh capabilities, as I said before, some floors and rooms are so small but way to many devices and adding more Sonic APs will just degrade because of the interference. Unifi has the other APs for higher density environments and we would just buy some of those for those rooms/floors.

JASON

Well now...someone just pinged me saying that Sonicwalls now support radius accounting, after years and years they finally added it, it is in the latest SonicOS release. They also finally added social login for guests... maybe since they are not Dell anymore they got serious about updating their software, who knows..

In any case, I guess I can test it out and see, if so, I guess we can always donate or re-sell these items. Might keep using the switch though, has POE+ and Passive POE

JASON

Going to end up testing the new Sonicwall firmware for RADIUS but these look nice and at the same price point as our N2's but better.

https://unifi-hd.ubnt.com/