Accepted Solution

Speed issues using UAP-AC-PRO and secondary port

I've already figured this out, but it took me quite a bit of troubleshooting (and replacing a lot of wiring) before I realized what was going on.

It seems if you connect something to the secondary port on the UAP-AC-PRO that's only capabable of 100Mbit/s then it downgrades the entire access point to that speed. I had hooked my smarthome gateway to that port rather than run its own cable and it was dragging down my wifi network to 100Mbit/s speeds.

Accepted Solutions
Kudos: 1159
Solutions: 312

Re: Speed issues using UAP-AC-PRO and secondary port

Yes. This is a known hardware limitation. Both ports can't have different speeds.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Kudos: 1159
Solutions: 312

Yes. This is a known hardware limitation. Both ports can't have different speeds.

I suspected that was the case, but it took me a long time to figure it out and nothing obvious showed up in a google search so I thought I'd throw it out here in case anyone else was stuck on the same thing.

Noticed that yesterday when my PC (wich is plugged into secondary port) was shutdowned - speed on wifi drops to 10mbps.

Too bad if that a HW limitation (on UAP Pro worked fine) - time for new wires...

Kudos: 2

[ Edited ]

Yes, I've been grappling with exactly this problem today.

Is there any warning of this in the quick start guide? If not there really should be as I suspect many secondary devices such as printers will have slow ports.

What makes it worse is that the Access Point will still show up as having a gigabit connection back to the switch even though it's speed has been limited to 100Mb/s by the secondary device. It was this that made it take much longer to diagnose the problem.