Stream from NAS to an apple TV stops

Hi!

I have an Unifi AC LR with Gigabit LAN on a Fritz!Box 6840.

The WIFI has a good signal to the apple tv 4.

When i want to stream a movie from my synology to the apple tv 4 with infuse app the stream ends a few minutes after starting. But why?

With my fritz Repeater i do not have the problem.

The signal is good and there are not many wifi devices on the same channel.

I thuoght that the unfi AC is better than all other WIFI devices... :-(

Established Member
Kudos: 116
Solutions: 23

Re: Stream from NAS to an apple TV stops

I think Ubnt makes stuff that has great price/perfance. But...it requires some knowledge and effort. For instance, did you leave settings on auto?

Can you please provide some relevant information like config settings and software/firmware version?

Controller (5.10.19): CK 0.13.4
Unifi (4.0.24.10010): UAP-AC-IW-Pro, UAP-AC-LR, UAP-AC-M & USW8-60W (4.0.21.9965)

Better WiFi coverage is not achieved by increasing transmission power, but by increasing the number of accesspoints.

Hi!

Thanks for your replay.

i run the controller on a synology NAS 716+II in the Docker. (Controller VersionNr. 5.5.1.1)

The firmware version of the AP is: 3.7.58.6385

There is no guest WIFI.

I enabled both frequency 2,4Ghz and 5Ghz with the same SSID.

Bandsteering is on '"balanced"

Channel of both WIFI is "automatic", Transmission power = high, channel widh of 2,4Ghz = HT40, of the 5Ghz = VHT80.

The rest is on default setting.

Now i had test it again, to stream a movie from NAS zu AppleTV. 30 Min. with no issues.

Maybe now everything is stable? I will test is again.

Kudos: 87
Solutions: 20

@gerry138 wrote:

Bandsteering is on '"balanced"

Channel of both WIFI is "automatic", Transmission power = high, channel widh of 2,4Ghz = HT40, of the 5Ghz = VHT80.

Glad things seem to be working now -- hope it continues.  So, for now, I'll just give some general comments on your setup...

When troubleshooting, it's usually suggested to turn off bandsteering, airtime fairness, etc.

You should not use 'auto' for channel selection (although it seems to be on the future roadmap, right now there is not sufficient "smarts" built-in to that option to offset the potential problems). On 2.4GHZ, you should use only the three non-overlapping channels: 1, 6, or 11; there are generally more choices in 5GHz.

Re: transmit power, 'high' is often (usually?) not the best choice, esp. for 2.4GHz.  It's most often suggested to start at low/med (2.4/5GHz) or med/med, and tune from there.  For one thing, higher transmit power on the AP is rarely matched on the client device, so it tends not to help as much as one might expect, and can even be detrimental.

Both of those factors (channel selection & transmit power) will be especially important if you ever add additional APs to your setup; but even now, there are potential benefits (for you and your neighbors) in considering them.

[ Edited ]

OK, many thanks for your replay. I will try to check a medium transmit power. I thought if I already had one AP LR, then it should send full power to have access in my house AND garden... :-) Yesterday i watched 2 HD Movies via Infuse on my AppleTV4 which are streamed over the unifi WIFI from my Synology NAS. I had no aborts! If that remains so i am very happy. Thanks for your input!

Kudos: 87
Solutions: 20

Here's one way to think about transmit power (it has to do with the "matching" that I mentioned before):

In order for the AP-client connection to be effective, the client has to be able to "hear" the AP, but the AP also has to be able to "hear" the client.  Client devices generally have lower transmit power than the AP.  So, if the AP is "shouting", then the client will be able to "hear" it at farther distances.  That's what we're going for, right?  But, wait...  if the client device is (relatively speaking) "whispering" (because of its lower transmit power), then the AP won't be able to hear it at those distances.  This can result in your client device showing high signal (more bars), but still having a horrible connection.  This tends to be even more pronounced with mobile devices like phones and tablets, because their transmit power tends to be even lower to reduce battery drain.

Another consideration is that even though this too high transmit power is not helping your clients, it may be contributing to saturation and increasing interference for your neighbors.

One thing to remember is that the 5GHz signal tends to be more affected by obstacles like walls, etc., so the correct power levels often tend to be higher than for 2.4GHz.  With 2.4GHz, the better penetration means even more possibility of the "signal pollution" issue that I described earlier.

Finally, as I mentioned before, this stuff gets to be an even bigger issue as you add more APs into the picture.  But, you only have one AP, right?   Well, if you can't effectively cover the area that you need by cranking AP transmit power, then your next option is to start adding AP(s).   :-)

Good luck.