Kudos: 82

Subpar throughput performance

[ Edited ]

I have a UAP-LR, and I'm honestly not pleased at all with the performance. I just had AT&T U-Verse installed, and they provided a wireless gateway (put in the basement). I put my UAP-LR on the first floor. On the second floor, I did a speedtest. The U-Verse wi-fi gets nearly my max speed (around 38 down/6 up), the UAP-LR gets 20 down/5 up. So, how is it a more advanced access point that's closer to my position is out-performed?

The UAP-LR connects to an unmanged d-link gigabit switch. However, the UAP-LR is powered by a 10/100 Ubiquiti PoE injector. I've never had a problem yet with the switch. The switch connects to a SonicWall TZ105, which I've also never had issues with. I've also noticed poor internal performance issues much closer to the AP with other regular UAPs.

SuperUser
Kudos: 8168
Solutions: 1316

Re: Subpar throughput performance

It's impossible to know about the issues without information

about the environment and the settings. It could be as

simple as old firmware, rf output settings or the mounting

position. Or not.    Dave

> HQ in Seacoast region New Hampshire U.S.A.
> Ubiquiti Certified Trainer [UCT] for:
     UBWA [AirMax] / UEWA [UniFi] / UBRSS [routers]
UBNT.NH@gmail.com
Kudos: 53
Solutions: 7

If your above the AP, that could also cause you to have issues. They are designed to service things below them, not above them. What's your signal strength up there?

The all in one ATT gave you has internal antenna's pointed all over the place to help with this. That's one of the big differences between enterprise equipment and consumer gear.

Kudos: 82

[ Edited ]

RSSI is about 20 lower than the AT&T gateway. Windows 7 shows full strength.

SuperUser
Kudos: 8168
Solutions: 1316

What are the specific access point settings?  Dave

> HQ in Seacoast region New Hampshire U.S.A.
> Ubiquiti Certified Trainer [UCT] for:
     UBWA [AirMax] / UEWA [UniFi] / UBRSS [routers]
UBNT.NH@gmail.com
SuperUser
Kudos: 7902
Solutions: 233

Yeah, the UniFi line is DESIGNED to be ceiling mounted. There are three things to take away from this:

[1] With a ceiling mounted AP, you don't really want that signal to move "up" all that much. You simply put another AP on the floor above.

[2] The best signal from a UAP will be slightly offset from center, and to the sides.

[3] Most "home" APs are omni-directional. Although a UAP is 'somewhat' omni-directional, it's design is such that it gives the best performance in more of a business-type dropceiling environment. If you take this into consideration when laying out your wireless plan, it's not a problem. If you don't consder this, you'll end up with what you have ran in to.

isp builder | linux sorcerer | datacenter automation conjurer | blog: blog.engineered.online
link to our slack channel on the blog
Veteran Member
Kudos: 1707
Solutions: 134

This type of antenna creates what you could view as a 'donut hole' with its axis through the AP (perpindicular to the mounting plate.)

The Gen1 AP's had a pretty decent "up lobe" which could sometimes be utilized to our advantage.  I haven't done anything other than drop ceilings using current stuff.