02-09-2018 04:17 AM
We have been asked to create a wireless network in a (moving) wagon 35 meters long. The train will not have internet access for the moment, but they need to have AppleTVs and a Plex server for content to some TV stations and to manage some iPads from a local MDM server.
What is best, to put sequencial wirelessly connected Unifi APs or create something like a wireless bridge?
02-10-2018 09:36 PM
Or maybe use Mesh units wirelessly connected to each other?
Mesh network to handle HD multimedia traffic? I don't think so....
How many clients are we talking about?
02-12-2018 10:30 AM
Let's dig into this:
- how many Apple TVs will be on and streaming at the same sime
- what bandwidth do they consume
- same 2 questions for the 80 clients
- is this one large room or are there WiFi obstructions/compartments that are blocking line of sight
- how will the Plex server be connected, i.e. can it be wired to at least one AP
The bandwidth requirements should be specified as precisly as possible - broad guessing is not nelpful.
02-13-2018 09:43 AM
I have some more data, since the wagon is being renovated now.
- The Apple TV units will be 8 and they will stream content all together. We still do not know if the displays will be 4K.
- 80 clients _must_ have the ability to use the devices. Its not yet clear if the content will be pre-loaded to those clients.
- Its a train wagon (single, no compartments), and (I guess, since we cannot see the real thing now), that we can establish a line of sight for the APs.
- the Plex server and the 1st AP will be connected wired, we can set this as a condition.
02-13-2018 10:22 AM - edited 02-25-2018 08:21 AM
Again: You need to define the bandwidth needs for the Apple TVs and the clients - this is a number followed by Kbps or Mbps.
Did you mean to say that the Apple TVs are to receive multicast and that IGMP is required? Note that I am not very familiar with Plex + Apple TV. You need to provide that technical knowledge and specification.
So, if ihere were a single AP on the ceiling in the center the Plex server would be wired to it?
02-13-2018 11:23 AM
Hi, this will be a High Density location, look here the Guide to it:
02-25-2018 03:37 AM
Thank you all for your suggestions,
Waiting from the client to be more specific on the space design and hopefully share some maps, and I will get back.
02-25-2018 12:22 PM - edited 02-25-2018 03:30 PM
I want to verify my understanding of what you have and need.
You didn't give complete dimensions. IIUC you have a single enclosed "room" that is 35m long. Since you describe it as a "train" I'm guessing it is not too wide or tall. Google tells me train cars are typically limited to about 3m wide and 4m high. Is that about right?
The fact that this room moves seems irrelevant to the problem.
02-25-2018 02:36 PM
Yes, I guess those info are right, based on other trains I have seen. Waiting to get more specific info from the client. Right now what we know is that this is a single wagon and it's still on the renovations.
will get back with more info as soon as I get them.