Kudos: 27
Solutions: 4
Accepted Solution

UAP-AC-HD reset button broken - physically open it?

Hi,

I got an UAP-AC-HD and it seems the reset button is "gone", cant "find it" inside the reset whole. sounds silly, but there is just nothing there...

The AP itself works, but I need to reset it. since there is no reset button at the PoE injector, I am kinda out of opions. A firmware reflash via TFTP needs the reset button too Man Sad

another open would be to open the case to fix the reset button, but is isn't as easy as with a UAP-AC-LR.

@toysareforboys  did it here with a UAP-AC-Pro: https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/How-do-you-physically-open-the-UAP-AC-PRO/td-p/1703182

would it work the same way? or is there another "trick"?

hope anyone got some ideas.

thanks!

1of16

USG3P - US-24 - US-16-150 - US-8-60 - UAP-AC-HD & UAP-AC-Lite (UAP-AC-LR & UAP as spare AP) with Docker-Based Controller 5.10.x
UVP with Docker-Based Controller 1.x
UVC 3G, UVC (3x) - UVC-micro with Docker-Based Controller 3.10.x

Accepted Solutions

Re: UAP-AC-HD reset button broken - physically open it?

ok, got it...the same way as tyosareforboys said....it is not easy and pretty, but I opened the case

and the reset button is really "gone": it seems someone used too much force and took the "button" off its basement :-/

anyways...I can reset the AP now Man Happy

USG3P - US-24 - US-16-150 - US-8-60 - UAP-AC-HD & UAP-AC-Lite (UAP-AC-LR & UAP as spare AP) with Docker-Based Controller 5.10.x

View solution in original post

All Replies

ok, got it...the same way as tyosareforboys said....it is not easy and pretty, but I opened the case

and the reset button is really "gone": it seems someone used too much force and took the "button" off its basement :-/

Established Member
Kudos: 217
Solutions: 30

@1of16 wrote:

Nice work!!!!! Pics of the HD internals? Please? Man Happy

-Jamie M.

[ Edited ]

there are good FCC-pics:

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&called...

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&called...

you need more / anything sepcific @toysareforboys ?

Established Member

a few funny pics:

uap-ac-hd_resetbutton (2).jpgmy uap-ac-hdphoto_2017-10-21_12-50-27.jpgthe missing partsphoto_2017-10-21_12-50-19.jpgFCC pic

Solutions: 1

@1of16 interesting, this happend to my HD as well. Any hints how to carefully open the HD?

@ckirsch opening is a pain in the a...

like toysareforboys said in his post, you habe to "cut" it open. it is not pretty or easy and I guess you shouldn't use it ouside after opening...but now it is working again and I am only using this AP inside Man Happy

I just bought a used UAP-AC-HD on eBay and it's already adopted to a controller. Looks like the reset button is broken too. When you say cut it open, are you needing to actually use a knife along the seam on the edge to pry the pieces apart or are you having to actually cut it, and if so, does it damage it to where it can't be re-assembled?

Established Member

@mflagler wrote:

I just bought a used UAP-AC-HD on eBay and it's already adopted to a controller. Looks like the reset button is broken too. When you say cut it open, are you needing to actually use a knife along the seam on the edge to pry the pieces apart or are you having to actually cut it, and if so, does it damage it to where it can't be re-assembled?

Does the UAP-AC-HD not have a reset button on the PoE injector? Some reset buttons are on the front by the ethernet jacks and some are on the bottom.

-Jamie M.

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1356
Solutions: 235

@toysareforboys wrote:

@mflagler wrote:

Does the UAP-AC-HD not have a reset button on the PoE injector? Some reset buttons are on the front by the ethernet jacks and some are on the bottom.

-Jamie M.

@toysareforboys If the AC-HD has a PoE injector (not sure about that since I have a couple of Beta units) that reset button would only cycle the power. Not the same as the reset button in the unit.

Art of WiFi
Check out our UniFi API browser tool on GitHub. The PHP API client which it uses, can be found here on GitHub.
The thread on our UniFi Device Search tool can be found here, also check out our Captive Portal solutions for UniFi.

@mflagler  yes you really need to "cut it open". it is a pain in the a** but it is possible.

to be honest I didn't reassembled it yet, because I wanted to replace the resetbutton. since my AC-HD is used indoor lying on a shelf, there was no rush Man Wink

but as far as I can see it, you can reassemble it, but you shouldn't use it outdoors!

btw. it could be possible to push the resetbutton without opening the device...but I wasn't able to do it

still dont know why ubiquiti used this "cheap" button in the ac-lite and the ac-hd, while the ac-lr and ac-pro got decent reset buttons...

@toysareforboys  sadly the 48V PoE-injectors ain't got a reset button Man Sad I got 3 or 4 generations here...

Highlighted
Veteran Member
Kudos: 1227
Solutions: 99

[ Edited ]

Just wanted to clarify, was the unit brand new and came with the broken reset button?  If would be best if a support ticket with UBNT was made to see if they can take care of that for you.

No, it's not new. It was listed as a Used unit and was very clean and in the original box, but was missing the mounting bracket and a few other parts as well (I'm not so worried about that as I wasn't planning on mounting it anyway). It was already adopted and has an SSID assigned to it of "downstairs [MAC ADDRESS]" so it just needs reset, but when trying to push the reset button, I'm not feeling a button inside when using a paperclip, so I think it's broken off. I just really hate to have to cut it open to get it to reset. I've messaged the eBay seller to see if he knows the password, but I think he just buys used lots in bulk and resells them so probably doesn't know the password.

take a look at my first and third pic.

as I said, it should be possible to hit the resetbutton without opening the ap...but is isnt easy

btw. my AP wasnt new either

but I am still confused why/how the button broke in the first place.

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1227
Solutions: 99

Yep, this I was curious unless it was physical damage which caused it.

Just incase, @UBNT-schmid maybe interested.

Established Member
Kudos: 455
Solutions: 68

Broken reset button is probably what caused them to be replaced and landed them on eBay to begin with Man Wink
Kudos: 5

Hi, I have the same problem. Can someone  please better explain how to open It?

Established Member

[ Edited ]

@mfricano wrote:

Hi, I have the same problem. Can someone  please better explain how to open It?

I would assume the same as UAP-AC-PRO (it's siliconed around the edges), so I had to use a roller to open it up: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Roller-Screen-Opening-Repair-Tools-for-iPad-Tablet-iPhone-Laptop-Samsung-iP...

Here's my post on it: https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/How-do-you-physically-open-the-UAP-AC-PRO/m-p/1703456/h...

uap-ac-pro internal cracked open 02.jpg

Good luck!

-Jamie M.

Kudos: 5

Hi ... I opened it and I see a reset button completely broken. What i should buy to substitute It and repair It in a professional manner??