UAP-AC-LR pathetic range?

Hi,

I purchased the UAP-AC-LR with the promise of "up to 183 metres". Real world, I'm able to get around 10 metres through 2 walls. My home Asus router is out performing it.

I've tried multiple channel width, power and channel setting options which were recommended from other forum posters. I currently have it set as 2G HT20, Channel 2, Medium Power. 5G VHT40, 144 DFS, Medium Power. This is after trying multiple options. 

I just want to know if I have somehow misconfigured it or the product claims are completely false

Thanks,

Steven

Established Member
Kudos: 465
Solutions: 36

Re: UAP-AC-LR pathetic range?

Range is country dependent. Are you in Europe?

Rob Clark
Freenet Warehouse
Certified airMAX Instructor
Certified UniFi Instructor
Certified Routing and Switching Instructor

Hi,

I've got it set to Australia (my location). Happy to lie if it will boost signal as this is on a rural property

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1139
Solutions: 191

The WiFi standard has the same physical conditions as limit for any vendor. For the LR:

- use only channels 1, 6 or 11 for 2G

- set the power to either medium/high or low/medium for 2G/5G

- mount or place the LR horizontally and if possible above head; moving an AP by 10cm can make a remarkable difference somtimes

- walls are a problem, sometimes a big problem depending on material and penetration angle; the range value in the datasheet is for no walls/obstructions under ideal conditions without competing WiFi from the neighbours

The AC-LR is without doubt a good product. But it cannot make pigs fly.

SuperUser
Kudos: 5119
Solutions: 1457

Also it depends how it's mounted / installed ... if it's on the ceiling, you'll get the best coverage.  

If it's mounted to a wall, not so much.

Hi UB40

- I'll try the channel suggestions. This is very helpful
- It is currently horizontal. Not overhead as I didn't want to mount before testing. Currently on the desk. Will raise and re-test. I've tried in multiple locations around the house so far though

I think my gripe is that I fell for the marketing hype without thinking critically about logic.
Highlighted
SuperUser
Kudos: 5119
Solutions: 1457

Thing is, they *do* work out as far as UBNT says -- but, well, you've got to be in relatively unobstructed space.  "two walls" is pretty much the death of radio (at least at these frequencies / power regulations).

Emerging Member
Kudos: 17
Solutions: 1

I haven’t found Ubiquiti stuff to be overly long range indoors through walls. And the AC-LR doesn’t appear to me to be any longer range than the current AC-Pro. I honestly think it’s a marketing term.

All that said, it sounds like you are trying to get good in house WiFi from a single router? Unless your house is really small (like apartment size) I have found that you need multiple APs for a house.