Highlighted
Solutions: 2
Accepted Solution

UAP-AC-Lite WiFi Connectivity keeps dropping

I have a two story home approx 1,800 sq ft and have a Netgear R8000 wifi router I am going to replace with this unit. I want to mount this on the ceiling but wondering if mounting on ceiling at top of stairs would make a good location for two WiFi networks. My concern is its in a narrow part of home where there are two walls. Wondering if that will cause issues in wifi coverage?IMG_20180112_193202.jpgLeading downstairs

Accepted Solutions
SuperUser
Kudos: 5288
Solutions: 379

Re: UAP-AC-Lite WiFi Connectivity keeps dropping

Temporarily mount it and see.  Gently use a long 2x4 or some other non-metallic pole to gently press the AP against the ceiling.  Or if you have a tall fiberglass ladder or metal ladder and at least a 2 foot tall cardboard box you can get it close to the ceiling - it doesn't have to be on it.  Get it at least 8 feet in the air if you can, fire it up then check all the places you need wifi and see what the real world performance is.

If they are regular sheetrock walls with wood studs they probably won't affect the signal too bad - but it's best to just test and see what it's like in your environment. 

When you receive a solution to your question/issue, don't forget to mark your thread as solved and to give kudo's to the people who have helped you out!

Having wifi problems? Take a look here first: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/221029967-UniFi-Debugging-Intermittent-Connectivity-Issues-on-your-UAP

View solution in original post

Kudos: 1
Solutions: 1

I have a Lite installed on basement ceiling. Concrete foundation, wood drywall construction. 2200 SF and signal is great on first and second floors. 5ghz possible on first floor. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
SuperUser
Kudos: 5288
Solutions: 379

Temporarily mount it and see.  Gently use a long 2x4 or some other non-metallic pole to gently press the AP against the ceiling.  Or if you have a tall fiberglass ladder or metal ladder and at least a 2 foot tall cardboard box you can get it close to the ceiling - it doesn't have to be on it.  Get it at least 8 feet in the air if you can, fire it up then check all the places you need wifi and see what the real world performance is.

If they are regular sheetrock walls with wood studs they probably won't affect the signal too bad - but it's best to just test and see what it's like in your environment. 

When you receive a solution to your question/issue, don't forget to mark your thread as solved and to give kudo's to the people who have helped you out!

Having wifi problems? Take a look here first: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/221029967-UniFi-Debugging-Intermittent-Connectivity-Issues-on-your-UAP
Kudos: 1
Solutions: 1

I have a Lite installed on basement ceiling. Concrete foundation, wood drywall construction. 2200 SF and signal is great on first and second floors. 5ghz possible on first floor. 

Solutions: 2

Thanks! That helps!