UAP-AC-M vs UAP-AC-LITE for outdoor use?

Planning to add WiFi to a metal building I use as a home shop and trying to decide on hardware. Right now I am looking at a UAP-AC-LITE for the interior and a UAP-AC-M for the exterior.

I am in North Texas so we don't get crazy low temps, but I am a bit concerned with the 14F operating threshold on the UAP-AC-LITE. Chances are I would never be out there at those temps, but there is just something about a device not working in almost all reasonable circumstances that kind of bothers me.

My inclination in going with the UAP-AC-LITE indoor is for ceiling mounting and the more directional antenna design.

Would I be better just sticking with UAP-AC-M (lower operating temp threshold is -22F) inside an out and not having to worry about it?

Kudos: 1691
Solutions: 508

Re: UAP-AC-M vs UAP-AC-LITE for outdoor use?

Hello @Aston08,

Welcome to the community!

The UAP AC Lite does not have a Weather-Resistant Enclosure, use the UAP AC M ( PRO ) for outdoor deployments.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
UCK-G2 • UCK
Established Member
Kudos: 395
Solutions: 73

[ Edited ]

Its usually more to do with material construction (glues/seals etc) than anything else for lower temperature rated units.

The electronics are the same spec, things like chokes (inductors) potting compound/glue however may not be specced to survive at those temps for extended periods.

If you have a Lite running 24/7 in the indoor environment you describe then I'd be very surprised if you had issues as it'll generate enough heat to keep the abovementioned stuff warm. If its only run intermittently then you run the risk of glues/seals failing.

Kudos: 231
Solutions: 17

@Aston08 wrote:

Planning to add WiFi to a metal building I use as a home shop and trying to decide on hardware. Right now I am looking at a UAP-AC-LITE for the interior and a UAP-AC-M for the exterior.

I am in North Texas so we don't get crazy low temps, but I am a bit concerned with the 14F operating threshold on the UAP-AC-LITE. Chances are I would never be out there at those temps, but there is just something about a device not working in almost all reasonable circumstances that kind of bothers me.

My inclination in going with the UAP-AC-LITE indoor is for ceiling mounting and the more directional antenna design.

Would I be better just sticking with UAP-AC-M (lower operating temp threshold is -22F) inside an out and not having to worry about it?

As other have said, the UAP-AC-Lite is a indoor AP only.  The unit is not designed for outside temperature swings, regardless of being in a weather sealed enclosure or not.

Definitely the UAP-AC-M with or without the optional directional antenna would be the better (although more expensive) bet.  It is too bad that UBNT only has two recent models that are suitable for outdoor deployment in the UniFi line.  You have the UAP-AC-M and the far larger Pro version.  I recently deployed a Pro version and probably should have gone with the UAP-AC-M outside since the Pro is massive.  I had mounting issues that came up that were unexpected...the UAP-AC-M is far more discreet.

Established Member
Kudos: 183
Solutions: 52

@donwschultz wrote:

It is too bad that UBNT only has two recent models that are suitable for outdoor deployment in the UniFi line. 

The UAP-AC-Pro can be used outdoors. It needs to be covered, such as under a soffit, but it is rated for outdoors. (indirect weather)

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-pro/

Kudos: 146
Solutions: 43

I have an AC-M outside in the wild to temperatiures from 35c (90f) with high humdiex around 110f), to as low as (so far) -25c (-13f) with windchill, yes, it's a thing, including freezing rain. The AC-M will certainly be exposed to much colder temps in the coming months, but, so far, so good..

Established Member

[ Edited ]

Ummm you did all read the part of the post where he said the Lite would be inside the (unheated) building yes? Roll Eyes (Sarcastic)

I stick by what I said - if its running 24/7 then it'll be fine. Frankly I'd be amazed if it wasn't fine even if its not powered-up 24/7 in North Texas Man Happy

Edit - I'd be more worried about summer temps were I the OP...

I ended up just ordering two UAP-AC-M. I "probably" wouldn't have had an issue with the UAP-AC-LITE, but for the ~$10 difference it wasn't worth potential hassle.

Thanks for all the help deciding.

Highlighted
Established Member

The Lite would have had better coverage inside/less interference with the UAP-AC-M outside but I doubt you'll have a problem given the metal shell.