UAP AC PRO home office setup - !Help Wanted!

[ Edited ]

Greetings,

I'll try to be brief as possible; but I am a bit far removed from my device configuration days and I seem to be hitting a few barriers that are keeping me from enjoying this purchase.

Here's some bullet points of useful information to help you help me then I will also provide my questions. TL;DR read the questions at the end.

1. Home network is a Gigabit circuit via Atlantic Broadband, modem is Arris Touchstone CM3200A
  2. When controller desktop (Win7 64bit) is connected directly to modem, I get random IPs from DHCP.  *Thinking this is where my issue is resulting from*
  3. I setup the UAP AC PRO, it took 192.168.1.20(?), I manually configured my eth0 network to hop on over to that subnet (ISP leased me 23.x.x.x); I was able to adopt and configure the router.
    1. Secondary RJ45 on the UAC AP PRO is bridging my Desktop, so I get wired connectivity.
      1. Controller version
      2. UI 5.5.24.0
        Backend 5.5.24
        Build atag_5.5.24_9806
        Device: UniFi AP-AC-Pro	3.8.6.6650
        Configured a specific SSID for my SO/HO, was able to connect to the AP but  unable to browse
  4. Looking at statistics for the device, the radio uplinks show usage but zero data transfers (these are also brand new Cat6e cables, all cable-tested and working).
  5.  My SSID has been created (as previously stated in 3.2); it broadcasts it and is definitely able to be connected to - but the UAC AP PRO does not lease client IPs.

Questions:

What might I be missing? I tried to be cheap and let my old router (Netgear AC1750) get all the configuration data that *works* but when manually configuring it to the UAC AP PRO, it doesn't work for obvious reasons.

Can I manually configure my UAC AP PRO to utilize the DHCP server hosted by my ISP at 72.45.32.34?

Did I ask the right questions?

Established Member
Kudos: 202
Solutions: 78

Re: UAP AC PRO home office setup - !Help Wanted!

How are things connected. You must use a router - the Unifi APs are access points only, no router functions.

Do you have a router configured? Please draw a network diagram and explain your current network config.

[ Edited ]

Shermbug,

Thanks for the quick response. No, I do not have a router configured; I guess I foolishly expected the ability to have the UAP not only broadcast my internet wirelessly but bridge my Desktop and eliminate the need for one.

Due to the simplicity of my setup, I'ma use ASCII Man Tongue

[[ABF ISP]] => [CM3200A (Modem)]  => UAP AC PRO => SSID/Wifi Access

||

Controller/Desktop [Bridged via Secondary port]

Do you have a product you recommend for the router? I'm not sure why the AP wouldn't work as I am trying to implement it, but if it's not gonna connect my ISP to my home network; then I clearly need one.

I am considering https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-EdgeRouter-ER-X-SFP-US-Advanced-Gigabit/dp/B012X45WH6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=...

Thanks,

Ohm

Established Member

What you have set up will not work. You will need a router. The ER-X is a great device. It is what I use and I’m very happy with it. Also look at the unifi security gateway. Both are great options, but are more complex than a traditional consumer router.

You will want to read some background material on the difference between a router and an access point to understand why the AP does not work alone, but at the core, most home internet connections only allow one device to be connected directly to the internet - this is almost always a router. The router sets up an internal network to share that connection and routes data to the different devices. It is like the role of a central mail room in an office building. The post office doesn’t have to know or care about the individual tenants in the building, just the address of that building is sufficient. The mail room routes the letters and packages to the right people.

Kudos: 205
Solutions: 72

If you want to keep with the unifi line, look for a USG3p

Appreciate the help, Shermbug. 

Simple overlook on UAP's capabilities, got excited that enterprise grade equipment is finally at a residiential price point.

Established Member

Yeah -- the AP is awesome and at a good price point, but not a router replacement*

*you can try flashing custom firmware (such as LEDE/OpenWRT) to make the device into a router + AP, but that is likely to void your warranty and wouldn't be supported by UBNT or in this forum. I'm a huge fan of LEDE, but I opt to keep within the UBNT firmware and software environent (ER-X + 2 UAP-AC-PROs running the latest stable releases from UBNT).