Scheduled maintenance: Community will be offline Monday June 17th, 1:00 AM - 6:00 AM (PT)

UAP-AC-PRO range

Hi,

I am about to buy an AC Pro, but need to know if it will cover my whole house.

My house is around 25m by 10m (82ft by 32ft). Please let me know what range you can get with this AP?

Thanks,

Tom.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 230
Solutions: 60

Re: UAP-AC-PRO range

That should be fine, but the only way to be certain is to buy and do a site survey with it.  

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks Enterprise Team
"I cannot teach anybody anything. I can only make them think." - Socrates

Kudos: 4870
Solutions: 1288

Hello @tomcriddell,

Where are you going to mount it?

You would want to do a wireless site survey to find the right spot.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK

Hi,

I am going to mount it on my ceiling, thanks for the advice. I will do a site survey right now!

Kudos: 39
Solutions: 15

[ Edited ]

Yes doing a survey is best with any wireless device.

As you are going to use the pro, first buy one set it up and and temporarily put it where you think it will be best suited to cover the house.

Download a survey/heatmapper application on your phone (plenty of free ones) and check where the signal reaches. You don't want the signal to drop below -75dBm at the worst for a connection though you'll want it higher for better throughput.

When using the heatmapper/wifi walk around the house where devices will be used. If you find areas that you need covered that are not covered try moving the AP to a different area. If you find that it does not cover what you need you may need a device with a different antenna pattern or even two devices.

Remember no two installs are the same. Thick walls block the signal more there will be reelections and other interference so the only way to be sure of what you'll get is by doing a survey.

For example my house is small, about 8m x 7m but with an extension of 5m x 7m. I need to have two UAP's to cover this area due to the double thickness outer wall that is still in place between the extension and main house. Both are mounted in the attic of the house and extension and cover both floors very well with a few weak spots.