UAP-IW-Pro

[ Edited ]

I have a house with 3 floors of ~680sq feets each. I’m looking to put on the first floor in the middle of my house a UAP-IW-PRO. Is one unit enough to cover all the 3 floors or I should have one unit per floor? 

Each floor are mosly made out of wood.

Also is the UAP-IW-Pro power/coverage is the same or comparable to a celling unit?

Established Member
Kudos: 403
Solutions: 35

Re: UAP-IW-Pro

If you can, one per floor is the way to go. I’ll go further than that, one per room if you can do it. 

It really depends how cabled your home is. If you already have or are planning to install at least one RJ45 per room, make that an AP-IW-Pro or in bigger rooms an AP-IW-HD. If you’re running cables then the AP-AC-IW units are good horizontally but weaker above and below, hence my recommending one per floor. 

Without a schematic of your home it’s difficult to make any solid suggestions but for most properties a single ceiling mounted unit on the top floor landing does pretty well. 

Kudos: 4048
Solutions: 1042

Hello @fbouchard00,

Welcome to the community!

We can't give an accurate answer to that, it depends on the environment.

You will need to do a site survey.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the information. Yes, next time I will try to get the floor plan.

My current needs in wifi are pretty basic compare to my wired one. I want to go with the edge router X along with the US-8-60W switch, since most of the house is wired already. The last missing piece is the access point that will give a better and central signal to the rest of my wifi-devices considering my current setup which consist to a single wifi router in my basement.

For what it worth, the way I can describe my first floor is a rectangular open space of 33ft x 20ft. The 2nd floor is a central open corridor to each bedroom (3) + bathroom (1) based of the same rectangular floor size. Each floor as an height of 8ft.

I was looking into the UAP-IW unit since I already have an RJ45 wall plate in my living room and wondering if the signal would be strong enough to cover the entier floor. But, from my understanding the UAP-IW unit works best in a small room in direct line of sight, right?

If I'm looking to install a single AP, is there any Unifi model that would perform better and give a signal strong enough to cover all the floors?

Thanks again!

Hello @fbouchard00,

Take a look at the radio patterns of the UAPs.

You will have to do a site survey with 1 unit to get an accurate answer.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x

thanks
Kudos: 56
Solutions: 25

Any opposition to using an AC-PRO or nanoHD? Typically the AP-IW are for single room WiFi.

"The In-Wall Line (IW) converts a regular Ethernet wall jack into a dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi access point. For dedicated Wi-Fi per room. The UAP-IW-HD model is customizable with different skins (sold separately) to blend with its environment."

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/360008036574-UniFi-Access-Point-Comparison-Charts

[ Edited ]

I have no oposition to the AC-PRO or NanoHD. I was looking to UAP-IW-PRO for the convenience and the ease of installation since I already have an RJ45 connector in my living room.

I made a drawing of where I would place a NanoHD. For a not too complex installation, I would prefere option #1 but I'm willing to make some extra effort if option #2 is by no doubt the best. I still have to perform a Wifi survey, but today with my old WRT610n I get a signal from the basement to the master bedroom. It's not the strongest one but it's enough to browse the web on my phone.

I really wonder if placing the AC on the wall would still cover the whole house? What do you think?

I'm aware that UAP-AC-XXX models should be placed on ceilling based on the radiation pattern. 

Screen Shot 2019-01-30 at 08.37.01.png

Hello @fbouchard00,

Don't mount the NanoHD on the walls, I would go with option 2 ( always run multiple cables ) and do a site survey once it's mounted.

If the coverage is not enough add another one on the first floor.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Kudos: 56
Solutions: 25

Definitely option 2 for the AP.

In regards to the coverage, you should be able to cover each floor with one placed in the middle of the floor. I was able to cover a 3200 sq ft 2 story house with 1 AC-PRO, and that was placed behind a TV. I did expand to a second AC-PRO just to get better coverage at the other side of my house.