Kudos: 6
Solutions: 2

UAP Outdoor "Firmware check failed"

Hi,

I have put the unifi outdoor in urescue mode (but it's not ping to 192.168.1.20) and i am able to send the firmware file via TFTP client to the device. 

After the upload the device response is "Firmware check failed"

What can i do? What firmware do i have to use?

Thanks in advanced

Re: UAP Outdoor "Firmware check failed"

Please anybody!!

First of all these are the steps to enter in tftp mode (thakns to UBNT-MikeD )

1. Prepare a computer that will work as TFTP client. Configure its IP address onto 192.168.1.x/24 subnet (do NOT use 192.168.1.20).
  2. On the controller, find the firmware.bin for the target AP.
  3. The .bin image for UAP, UAP-LR, UAP-Outdoor is under '[UniFi Directory]\dl\firmware\BZ2\[version]' directory
  4. Copy this binary file to the prepared computer
  5. AP unplugged
  6. Prepare a power adapter or a switch, the AP and the TFTP client computer needs to be connected through this.
  7. Press reset button while plugging the Ethernet cable in the AP
  8. Wait until the LED lights up, and then off, and then starting blinking the two LEDs in turns (takes about 20 seconds)
  9. For UAP, UAP-LR, UAP-Outdoor => [Orange, Green, Off, Orange, Green, Off, (repeating this pattern)...] This LED pattern means that the AP is running TFTP server now
  10. TFTP PUT the image to the awaiting AP. For example, the command for Windows TFTP client is: tftp -i 192.168.1.20 PUT firmware.bin
  11. do NOT unplug the AP while it is quickly alternating the two LED colors. The system is writing the newly received firmware.
  12. After the AP is finished recovery (a blinking orange or white, depends on AP model), put it back onto the original network.

Everything go as expected till the step 11. The firmware successfuly upload to the device but the responce is "Firmware check failed". After that the device stop blinking for 5-7 seconds and return back to uresue mode! I tried almost all firmware versions!

Anyone can help please. The device is responding so there is has to be a way to successfuly reflash it

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 99
Solutions: 21

Hi, 

If the AP can't boot into Linux, the way to fix it via serial cable.

Please PM me if you can get a serial cable connect to the AP.

I can provide you the steps to fix this case.

-KM

I have the serial cable. What I have to do??

Kudos: 1
Solutions: 1

yes same here

i have the exactly the same problem, even with the serial cable

please help

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem: connected a serial console to the internal connector and started the usresce command, the starting the tftp put I get following console output:

ar7240> urescue
Setting default IP 192.168.1.20
Starting TFTP server...
Using eth0 (192.168.1.20), address: 0x81000000
Waiting for connection: \
Receiving file from 192.168.1.254:64466
Received 5418141 bytes
Firmware Version: BZ.ar7240.v2.3.9.1693.121221.1336
mtdparts variable not set, see 'help mtdparts'
Firmware check failed! (-5)
eth1 link down

any help ????

Thanks in advance

Mike

try to run this before

mtdparts default

Hi,

perfect.....

it worked immediately !

Thanks for the helpfull suggestion.

Best regards

Mike

Kudos: 11

"mtdparts default"

where do I run this from?

Mark

still sadly, a windows user

If you like my post, hit the green "KUDOS" button.

Regards, Mark in sunny but skint Spain
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 5540
Solutions: 551
Contributions: 20

[ Edited ]

markscotford wrote:

"mtdparts default"

where do I run this from?

Mark

still sadly, a windows user

Hi Mark,

You need to run this while connected to the serial console. If your unit is under warranty it is NOT recommended to open the unit as that will void the warranty. So proceed as you wish.

Are you getting an error about mtdparts though? Oh wait...it won't show that unless connected to serial console.

Again, opening the UAP DOES void your warranty. So keep that in mind. If you are going to attempt connecting to the UAP via serial console then I recommend THIS guide. We do not have an official guide. That one is in Russian but it seems to translate well with online translators. There is another guide from the community, found HERE. This can be done via Windows too..

Hope that's helpful.

Thanks,
Mike

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Thanks Mike, its a sealed outdoor UAP, so trying the TFTP via the Ethernet connector first, its out of warranty so if this dont work, I will get the hacksaw out.

I am using simple TFTP Client software, which does not allow me to type text into it. Will get something a bit more complicated, which will allow me to. Will get back to you.

Ubiquiti Employee

Hi Mark,

You're welcome. 

You actually don't really need a TFTP client you can type into. You need a terminal program. I didn't try this one, but check TeraTerm. It's free and supports Windows. That's how you initialize the console connection. If it gives the mtd parts error, that's where you would input "mtdparts default". 

Hope that's helpful.

Cheers,
Mike

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

OK I am trying with HyperTerminal for no better reason than its already loaded on my windows XP machine. I presume I am using the TCP/IP (Winsock) option. I know the host address 192.168.1.20 but its also asking for a port number?

Ubiquiti Employee

[ Edited ]

Hi Mark,

Your serial TTL cable would be assigned a port number. And yes, that terminal will be fine, but that is for use with the serial TTL cable. I'm going to assume I confused you with my last post, so I'm sorry about that. 

To do the soft recovery it just needs to be connected using Ethernet and using a TFTP client. See HERE. These steps are written a little nicer than what's above. 

Thanks,
Mike

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

I am having no joy here, I am not using a serial cable (yet) still trying to do this without opening the case (its a sealed outdoor unit). Still trying to enact the "mtdparts default" command with a terminal program. Now trying "terra term", but I still have something wrong, I am using Host = 192.168.1.20, guessed at port number 1693, because thats the number on the end of the dl\firmware\BZ2\2.3.9:1693\ folder where the firmware.bin file is, tried all the combinations of Service (Telnet\SSH\Other), tried different SSH Versions (SSH1\2) and tried different Protiocols (Unspecified\IPv4\IPv6) still no joy. Firewall is off, so is antivirus. Can anybody give me some points please?

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 99
Solutions: 21

Hi, Mark:

Since you didn't open the case, you shouldn't be able see anything from serial console. (So no "Firmware check failed" message)

What do you see when you turn on our outdoor?

Do you see amber LED flashing slowly?

-KM

Ubiquiti Employee

Hi Mark,

Please respond to KM when possible.

And for further clarification for you and anyone else who read this thread. If TFTP recovery is necessary, I gave you the steps. I'll put in bold what I posted above as I think you overlooked them entirely. Forget everything else about any terminal program, serial TTL, etc. 

To do the soft recovery it just needs to be connected using Ethernet and using a TFTP client. See HERE. These steps are written a little nicer than what's above. 

Thanks,
Mike

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Yes I did all that before. I get the firmware.bin file from the sub directory where Ubiquiti Unifi normally runs from. Have my simple TFTP Client software running. Power up the UAP whilst holding the reset button in, till it gets to the point after about 18 seconds where the green and yellow LEDs flash alternately (about 1second intervals), then release the reset button. Then in my TFTP Client software, use 192.168.1.20 in the TFTP Server box, Upload in the Operation box, Binary in the Format box, firmware.bin in the Local File Name box and firmware.bin in the Remote File Name box. Hit the Upload button, the lights on the UAP flash alternately a little bit quicker, the progress bar on the TFTP software starts moving up, which gets to about 99%, then stops, a few seconds later, I get a message back saying "firmware check failed" or at least I was, but now I am getting "no response from server". Think I have worn the little blighter out, with all my attempts.

Ubiquiti Employee

Hi Mark,

Thanks for clarifying. I only suggested it as the command you were trying to run only work when connected via serial TTL (i.e. mtdparts default). You cannot do that via Ethernet. So your attempts with any terminal program via Ethernet are in vain as you need to connect via serial TTL.

How about KM's questions? What is the LED doing? Or what is the process of the LED from first boot?

Thanks,
Mike

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png