Solutions: 1
Accepted Solution

UAP broadcasting two subnets on two VLANS

[ Edited ]

Hello everybody,

I just created my very first solely Ubiquiti local network. It consist of one USG, one 48port switch and 13 UAP's.

On my wireless side of network I would like to broadcast two SSID's, each representing seperate subnet f.e. 192.168.0.0/24 (SSID: Net1) and 192.168.1.0/24 (SSID: Net2). When I'm trying to put VLAN's of each subnet, broadcasted SSID's are still visible but impossible to connect to. If I take down VLANS from WLAN's and leave them only on network configuration, I can connect to both WLAN's BUT(!) here starts something I really do not understand. While connecting to either Net1 or Net2, user group policies works fine for both subnets but client device is getting only address from Net1 DHCP, but not Net2 when I'm trying to connect to it. How is that even possible?

Using 5.5.24 Controller version,  USG 4.3.20.4897158 version and Switch 3.3.1.3458 version.

Accepted Solutions

Re: UAP broadcasting two subnets on two VLANS

Update:

I did update every firmware possible (usg,switch,UAP's and controller). After that I did remove all my networks (both LAN and WLAN) and did the very same configuration from scratch. And now it is working how it supossed to be.

Problem is resolved but I'm just wondering is it possible, that bugs inside controller could be the problem?

View solution in original post

All Replies
SuperUser
Kudos: 5109
Solutions: 1455

Take it you're using a UniFi switch too, right?

USG has both networks created, "net2" is configured to be on a VLAN (e.g. VLAN20) in the "Networks" config tab?

Switch is configured to carry "all" Vlans across whatever port is uplinked to the USG, and the ports that the UAPs are connected to?

SSID has the right VLAN tag?

NOTE for "Net1" if it doesn't have a VLAN defined in the Networks config, it is on the UNTAGGED VLAN1, and the corresponding SSID should not be given the configuration "Use VLAN [1] ".

[ Edited ]

Right, I'm using UniFi switch.

USG has both networks configured with custom vlans (not vlan1) 

Uplink from switch to USG is carrying all vlans. 

Both SSID's has proper Vlans according to "Networks" configuration tab. 

I believe I'm doing something wrong with broadcasting two separate subnets on my UAP's network. From my point of view it looks like UAP's doesn't have any problems with broadcasting multiple SSID's as long as they are in the same subnet f.e 192.168.0.0/24. 

SuperUser

no, they can handle VLANs / different subnets fine.  You've likely got something wrong in the setups.

Show the config pages for the networks, WLANs, and switchports. (just post images)

Update:

I did update every firmware possible (usg,switch,UAP's and controller). After that I did remove all my networks (both LAN and WLAN) and did the very same configuration from scratch. And now it is working how it supossed to be.

Problem is resolved but I'm just wondering is it possible, that bugs inside controller could be the problem?
SuperUser

most likely some other issue caused by the controller's connection to the devices in question.

I've seen strange behaviour happen when people use laptops (and have named the new unifi-wifi same as their old isp-wifi) -- laptop sees the "good AP" show up, and tries connecting, and ... everything becomes a mess as the laptop keeps flipping between wifi and wired.