UAP-nanoHD or UAP-AC-PRO

Hello

I ordered UAP-AC-Pro couple of days ago. Today I have an email that UAP-nanoHD will be available soon (pre-order). I was wondering if it is worth waiting for nanoHD.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Kudos: 216
Solutions: 75

Re: UAP-nanoHD or UAP-AC-PRO

What's your budget?? Have lots of media consuming devices all likely to be on at the same time? Most likely for a home deployement an AC-pro will handle the client load. 

Thanks

Budget was £250 for 2 Pros. In terms of media:

- Music streaming goes on during the day (streaming radio)

- internet throughout the day (8-10 concurrent devices)

- Work from home (2 people)

- VOIP Calls to work (office hours only)

- Evenings - kids uses netflix to stream TV shows while we use Netflix/Amazon to stream different TV shows/movies at the same time.

I am thinking - if I am spending £250 now, I might as well add anthother £50-£75 now and future proof me for as long as I can?

Kudos: 216
Solutions: 75

Sounds like a reasonable investment if you can make the budget work. Mu-mimo probably won't be noticable by many clients now, but who knows what tomorrow will bring.

Kudos: 52
Solutions: 5

I'm holding off on the NanoHD because it uses a different vendor chipset, and the last time Ubiquiti did that, they dropped support for the device in under a year...

Kudos: 1293
Solutions: 83

Kudos: 83
Solutions: 4

To extend the question, NanoHD vs HD.

NanoHD: MIMO     2.4 GHz 2x2  &  5 GHz 4x4

HD: (2) 2.4G internal single band antennas, dual polarity (2) 5G internal single band antennas, dual polarity

Nano: $180

HD: $350

If I don't care for the secondary port on the HD, what will best serve a classroom of avg. 15 students all on chromebooks using Google Docs and streaming content.  I guess I don't fully understand the above comparison of hardware antenas.

I've deployed HD's in the Library where most students study at night with no complaints.  Thinking about replacing all my AC-PROs in classrooms with either Nano's or HD's.  Reason being, some students "complained" about slow loading....though who knows how many tabs they had open and the amount of RAM in their Chromebook. My network is gig to every classroom and the pipe is 500+ download with 8 ms latency (fiber backhual) with Infinity router (now a USG XG...but I think they are more or less the same).

Take a look at https://unifi-nanohd.ubnt.com/, it compares AC PRO, nanohD and HD.
The 2x2, 3x3 and 4x4 refers to AP support for devices that can handle multiple streams. Currently, there is only one 4x4 device available in the market and it is for desktop. Most mobile devices are likely to be 2x2 or 3x3. You can check here for Chromebook and other devices: http://clients.mikealbano.com/

AC Pro should be able to handle 15 devices. Perhaps someone is using up too much bandwidth, if so you can apply user group bandwidth limits. If the problem is on the Chromebook, there is no point in upgrading APs, as you and the students will not see a benefit from that.
Kudos: 37

@rtho782 wrote:

I'm holding off on the NanoHD because it uses a different vendor chipset, and the last time Ubiquiti did that, they dropped support for the device in under a year...

Worrying - found a post on reddit mentioing incompatability with certain Intel wireless cards which may not be correct but if there is a potential issue that does not look good as we are going to put in over 100 new APs this summer and were looking at the NanoHD instead of the Pro as that is now 3 years old so how long before support removed etc..

Yup, saw that too.  I had 5 betas in my personal inventory, so I'm installing those.  If you can wait, I'll let you know how they work in the field.  Students will be bringing many different types of chromebooks and teachers here have different types of devices.

Keep ya posted.  Though, it will be another 3 months... ;-) SUMMER BREAK!

Kudos: 37

@Groong wrote:

Yup, saw that too.  I had 5 betas in my personal inventory, so I'm installing those.  If you can wait, I'll let you know how they work in the field.  Students will be bringing many different types of chromebooks and teachers here have different types of devices.

Keep ya posted.  Though, it will be another 3 months... ;-) SUMMER BREAK!

Unfortunately we need to pull the trigger soon as this is a summer job to replace the APs in our middle and high schools so we either stick with AC-Pros (which are already 3 years old) or we go with NanoHDs and hope for the best as we do not plan on having to change them for a good few years and worry the Pros will go EOL like the v2s did.

The Pro's are tried and true.  Even if they go EOL, they have been very reliable and I'm sure will endure a few more years.  However, that being said, if you are still hesitant about the Nano's, you could always use the HD's (big ones) in high density areas, that or see if the schools are willing to double their hardware budget (I already know where that conversation will go).

Kudos: 657
Solutions: 3

[ Edited ]

Any word on when the new Nano HDs will be shipping in volume, @UBNT-MikeD? Specifically the 5-packs?

I have a backorder in with Streakwave (placed somewhat recently, so I'm probably toward the end of the line) and I'm trying to get a sense for when I might get these for my customer (who has some - be prepared to be shocked - UAPs... yes, the original) that are SORELY in need of being replaced.

The AC Pros and 2nd gen and use same firmware . I dont't think UBNT is going to EOL all of these any time soon: UAP-AC-Lite/LR/Pro/EDU/M/M-PRO/IW/IW-Pro

There is market for all of the APs in AC collection. And no need to EOL what is selling well.
Kudos: 1

How have you guys been making out with the nanoHD's? 

Kudos: 4069
Solutions: 1047

Hello @Gerardv514,

Personally don't have any issues with them. ( On BETA firmware )

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK
Kudos: 449
Solutions: 116

For the APs around here, I would not worry too much about EOL. I still have an old 24v Unifi AP (green LED, 100mbps ethernet) in producion, and it's on the latest firmware.

Kudos: 1

There were a few comments regarding the vendor chipset that UBNT chose to use in the nanoHD. Has any new information surfaced regarding this? Does this seem like a lessor of an issue than when it was first brought up.

Also, why is the 2.4ghz thruput lower on the nanoHD than that of the AC Pro?

Thanks Guys.

Kudos: 4069
Solutions: 1047

Hello @Gerardv514,

Just tested this in my LAB for you and the UAP NanoHD is actually performing a little bit better on 2.4GHz then the UAP AC PRO.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK

Hello

I bought one of the nanoHD to see how that pans out, before buying another one. So far so good. Little issues like some times the network goes very slow. Not sure if it is a set up problem or something else. I do now have a wave 2 device so it will be good to test how that works.

Firmware I am using is: 3.9.54