Scheduled maintenance: Community will be offline Monday June 17th, 1:00 AM - 6:00 AM (PT)
Veteran Member
Kudos: 5295
Solutions: 78

UNIFI DFS Hit Graceful Handeling

It seems that the DFS detection on the mesh units is not up to snuff -- that being said, there MUST be a way to handle the DFS hits more gracefully than just randomly selecting a channel that -- in this case is being used as backhauls to other things.

I'd much rather be able to lock the channel (like I can on airMax gear) and just have the 5GHz portion go offline for 30 minutes.

Is there a way to do this?  Even if it's a back end hack?

Highlighted
Veteran Member

Re: UNIFI DFS Hit Graceful Handeling

To add to this. The lack of being able to lock the AP to the DFS channel is further compounded by unifi’s horrendous ability to properly pick an unused channel.
Kudos: 421
Solutions: 112

If DFS event is detected on the particular channel, what would be your proposition to handle such event?
Thanks,
Myky
CWSP
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don`t blame the device as it`s always doing what you have asked it to do, this is not always the same as what you want.
Veteran Member

@myky - exactly like airmax does. Allow the operator to select the channel and chose an option to lock to that channel. If a DFS hit is detected and lock to channel is selected the AP will shut down the 5GHz DFS operation for the required 30 minutes and then fire it back up.
Kudos: 421
Solutions: 112

I see. That is a good feature request!

Thanks,
Myky
CWSP
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don`t blame the device as it`s always doing what you have asked it to do, this is not always the same as what you want.
Kudos: 24
Solutions: 2

On some devices you can configure a "channel list" which in effect restricts the unit to use only those channels.

This can be useful to avoid the use of channels that you already know to have radar, or for other reasons.

Of course it will mean that the unit could have no available channels to use, and turn off.  But you indicate that would

not be a problem.

However, I have heard people claim that this is not allowed in the DFS spec or at least not in the way that they read it.

(the spec apparently tries to enforce the randomness of the chosen new channel to avoid repeated and predictable

interference as much as possible)

Veteran Member

I'm aware. airMax does.. UniFi does not seem to. it wouldn't be an issue, because:

1) you'd get an e-mail alert
2) you've got the 2GH z and other radios you can fail your clients over to.

If infact the regulations say you can't reuse the channel (I don't see them as reading that way), then just shut it off until an admin gets it.

What some people read in the regulations is that it is not allowed to restrict or steer the selection of an alternatve DFS-regulated channel when radar is found on the current DFS-regulated channel.

Of course, remaining quiet instead of selecting another channel should always be allowed.

Veteran Member

I see this issue has been going on since October of last year with the Mesh and still no resolutions. I am experiencing it as well. For an enterprise product this behavior is completely unacceptable.
@UBNT-MikeD
@UBNT-jeff
Could we get some status updates on this or information on what is being done to resolve the false DFS hops as well as allow us to lock DFS channels?
Veteran Member

And the problem here isn't just that DFS false detections are being handled poorly... it's also that the Mesh is very poorly deciding what channel to use. It is CONSTANTLY jumping onto one of two channels that are heavily utilized by airMax AC gear in the area.
Veteran Member

It looks like this issue goes back to 2018!!!!!

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/DFS-Trouble-with-Unifi-AP-Mesh/td-p/2112431

Seriously? NO resolution since June of 2018?

I would never consider to run a mesh on a DFS channel...

(as a matter of fact, I would not even consider to run a mesh network at all...)

Mesh networks are toys that can shine in a brochure, but will predictably fail in any real deployment.

Veteran Member

@pe1chl - Uhhhh "mesh" is the name of an access point Ubiquiti makes in the UniFi line... not necessarily something someone is doing. Confusing? Yes... the way Ubiquiti names things? Also yes.