Kudos: 23

Ubiquiti WiFi as WAN?

Can anyone recomedn a WiFi as WAN solution among the UniFi profucts? I am looking for a solution that can be used in an RV to connect to either the WiFi at an RV park, Walmart, etc. basicly anywhere public WiFi may be available. I currently use a Peplink Pepwave Surf On-The-Go, its ok at best, hopoing I can find a UniFi solution that will work.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 5

Re: Ubiquiti WiFi as WAN?

So you’re looking for a device that will allow you to connect to existing WiFi as needed and then share that WiFi amongst devices on your own network / WiFi? 

Greater Than Xfinity
>Tx | Fiber & WISP Builders & Providers | GreaterTransmit LLC.
Kudos: 4558
Solutions: 1186

Hello @alexrodriguez,

The NanoStation Ms can be configured as clients.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK

@GreaterTX wrote:

So you’re looking for a device that will allow you to connect to existing WiFi as needed and then share that WiFi amongst devices on your own network / WiFi? 

Correct.

Highlighted

@AmazedMender16 wrote:

Hello @alexrodriguez,

The NanoStation Ms can be configured as clients.

Thank you, I will take a look at it.

Did you ever get a solution to work?

Hello @smassey,

What are you exactly looking for?

Could you describe your idea?

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x

Hello Glenn

The original question above, using a UBNT product for 'Wifi as WAN' solution.  Let me describe exactly.

Let's say you are at an RV park for extended stay.  The provided Wifi as the park is free but you must login into a web based authentication method to enble.  Normal guest access scenario, but I don't want to autenticate on every device I have.

What I want, is something like a Nanostation and airCube that could connect to the guest wifi automatically, caching the credentials, and re-enabling as needed.  With this setup, if you have mutiple IoT devices in the RV they would 'just work' on the local airCube network.  Make sense?

I could post this in the airCube section, just thought about it when I woke up this morning.

Stephen

Hello @smassey,

You can't cache the vouchers for example but you could authorize the NanoStation M via the controller.

You can configure NanoStation M's as clients.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Kudos: 485
Solutions: 122

Nice little tutorial, got all that....the main thing is the captive portal.

I'm looking for an auto way to relogin once it expires.  For example, the Ring doorbell can't do that if it trys to reach out unattended.

I posted a similar question on the airCube forum.  Would be a nice feature if possible.

Thanks for the link!

Stephen

Kudos: 485
Solutions: 122

[ Edited ]

I don't know of a way to do it with Unifi, but travel routers do have the ability to log into a portal then share a new, open SSID. Somehow you need both features in one device, and I don't know of one.

It's entirely possible the setup I posted above will work like a travel router, but I have never tested it. If it works, the way it will go is that you connect the first device through your bridge as shown above, log in through the portal, then the rest of your devices won't have to log in to the portal.