Kudos: 17
Solutions: 1

Unable to connect to AP once Provisioning

I have unifi controller version 5.4.11 and connected to 2 UAP AC Lite and UAP LR. 

Everythings is good so far. No issue. Until realized that, once i make some changes inside the controller, the AP will be provisioning. Then connected.

However, the device that connect to the AP unable to access internet. Its showing limitted access.

Previous UAP AC Lite and UAP LR have same firmware which are 3.7.40.6115. 

Since there is new firmware being push into current controller, I thought that, it will solve my problem. And i try again  after the AP privisioning, the issue still there. I need to restart the AP or the device connected to the AP in order to access internet.

84eb4dec33ed48d2849d6e4aa5b6b190

Established Member
Kudos: 264
Solutions: 89

Re: Unable to connect to AP once Provisioning

[ Edited ]

When you do changes to the AP and apply them it is normal behaviour for AP to re-provision.
AP is a layer 2 device and does not provide a routing or any layer 3 functionality. When your clients are unable to access the internet can you ping your default gateway? Can you resolve the DNS?

Thanks,
Myky
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don`t blame the device as it`s always doing what you have asked it to do, this is not always the same as what you want.
Established Member
Kudos: 988
Solutions: 21

This is expected behavior. They have been like this from the beginning with me. 

after provisioning. connected.. but cant access internet. yes.. i resolve the dns. cant ping gateway via the AP

how do you fix it?

I think there is issue with the AP.

i'm using this method Trace Packets Through the Network  at https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/221029967-UniFi-Debugging-Intermittent-Connectivity-Issues-o...

5070739fe8db49f78ba668119f44c9bcLeft Result from working AP, Right Result from suspected problematic AP

The picture shows that, the broadcast packet captured from both AP that is connected (shows in unifi controller)

however, tcpdump from ssh shows that, one of the AP (on the right side of the picture) does not capture the packet that i send.

274e48d718024bb0b8558b51f2422cd3Left : working AP ; Right : suspected problematic AP

The 2nd finding is on unicast packet captured when ping to router. once again, the right side does not capture any packet. Icon Frown

Established Member

[ Edited ]

Let's do a step back and confirm some basics:

1) Please post a screen shot on the network settings from the affected AP.
2) Please check the physical side (make sure cable is ok etc)
3) Who provides you with a DNS in your network?
4) Please post the ipconfig output from the client while it is connected to the affected AP

Thanks,
Myky
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don`t blame the device as it`s always doing what you have asked it to do, this is not always the same as what you want.
Established Member
Kudos: 988
Solutions: 21

@pandera999

You could try to forget the AP from the controller and re-adopt it. If it's a bad config that keeps getting pushed to the AP this should take care of that.

SuperUser
Kudos: 5104
Solutions: 1455

If firmware updates stick, it sometimes helps to reset the AP to factory.

syswrapper.sh restore-default

(note might be "restore-defaults").

Soon as it reboots, it'll be re-adopted into the controller, and should pull the proper firmware / provisioning.

1) this is my network setting009ee2444db74ba38366385eec0a8d66

2) cable is ok.. i tried with cat5e and cat6... swap cable with working AP....  so, cable not giving issue
3) me, myself. 
4) No IP the device tried to obtain IP by connecting to the AP. thats why i use trace packet method

yes.. i tried that too.. forget the AP and re-adopt it.. with latest firmware...  still the AP unable connect to the AP....

seems like i still cant connect to the AP... i think there is issue with this UAP LR.  

Established Member

Thank you for providing this information.  So as l understood correctly when you are trying to connect to the AP you are not receiving a DHCP IP address from you local router. So looks to me that DHCP packets are filtered in some way. Are you bale to configure a static ip and try to connect to the same AP and test the connection?

Thanks,
Myky
SuperUser
Kudos: 4533
Solutions: 1031

What result do you get when setting AP to get a DHCP address?

UK Comms & Links Engineer.

Come on you lot, Feel free to 'Mark as Solution' At least click the Kudos button. Thanks.

Top Solution Authors Leaderboard

i just send the AP for RMA.. i believe this is issue with the AP itself.. faulty unit i believe. 

Even i set it to dhcp or static, still it will not let me access to internet. Broadcast the ssid, and i did not get any dhcp from it too...  

my device mac address also not appear connecting to the problematic AP. 

before i change to static, im using dhcp.  i assume it AP faulty and send it for RMA

SuperUser
Kudos: 5104
Solutions: 1455

If you're not getting DHCP at all, check that the DHCP server isn't out of IP addresses in its pool ...