Accepted Solution

Unable to remove third-party Firmware (Purple Wifi) - UAP Pro

We're moving away from Purple Wi-fi and have 8 x Unifi UAP Pro still flashed with Purple's custom firmware.

I've tried using TFTP and a number of different firmwares, all sadly with the same result.

I start the AP with the reset button held in until the device signals it's ready to accept the firmware with the light sequence blue-white-off cycling.

I then TFTP the firmware onto the device on 192.168.1.120 as follows:

tftp> connect 192.168.1.20

tftp> binary

tftp> rexmt 1

tftp> timeout 60

tftp> put /Users/xxxxxxx/ub-unifiuappro.bin 

Sent 4194652 bytes in 1.6 seconds

The lights then indicate that the firware is being upgraded (white rapid flashing) and the AP reboots.... to give me the Purple flashed wi-fi, every time.

I've contacted Purple who have given me what they assure me is a firware version that is guaranteed to work (3.2.5 I believe) but with zero success.

Can anybody help?

I've attached the firmware that Purple sent me.

Attachment

Accepted Solutions
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 92
Solutions: 6

Re: Unable to remove third-party Firmware (Purple Wifi) - UAP Pro

[ Edited ]

Looking at the attached firmware image in a hex editor, its UBNT header contains OPEN.  This means it is not our firmware.

Try this:

https://dl.ubnt.com/custom/BZ.ar934x.v3.7.5.4969.160530.0015-ubntdual-16MB.bin

Then adopt the device in the controller and update the firmware.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Ubiquiti Employee

[ Edited ]

Looking at the attached firmware image in a hex editor, its UBNT header contains OPEN.  This means it is not our firmware.

Try this:

https://dl.ubnt.com/custom/BZ.ar934x.v3.7.5.4969.160530.0015-ubntdual-16MB.bin

Then adopt the device in the controller and update the firmware.

Kudos: 169
Solutions: 56

[ Edited ]

If the file  @UBNT-MatthewR pointed to doesn't work try the following

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204910124-UniFi-TFTP-soft-recovery-for-bricked-access-point

As noted in the KB

• Both UAP-Pro and UAP-Outdoor+ require a special image for TFTP recovery. The binaries for each are available here:

Try this file as per the KB: https://dl.ubnt.com/custom/BZ.ar934x.v3.7.5.4969.160530.0015-ubntdual-16MB.bin

Thanks folks.

The device takes the FW you've linked to, but then the lights stop cycling and it doesn't indicate it's upgrading the firmware (fast white flash) and it doesn't reboot.

If I force a reboot by killing the power it still boots with the 3rd party FW.

Highlighted
Kudos: 169
Solutions: 56

[ Edited ]

how long did you leave it before pulling the power on it? Also is the link still up while the light (ring) is off? 

Ubiquiti Employee

I grabbed an old UAP Pro, plugged it in, and upgraded to the Purple firmware you attached. Then, I did a TFTP recovery and that worked.

Since you have tried third-party firmware on these devices, and TFTP isn't working for you, my options to help you further are rather limited. I suggest you start by reading the OpenWRT wiki and learn some more advanced recovery techniques that may apply in your particular situation.

Also, the UAP Pro is a rather old device that has been superseded by newer, more modern 802.11ac-capable devices. If you are in any way unimpressed with the performance of the UAP Pro, I suggest taking a look at the UAP-AC-Pro, UAP-AC-LR, or even UAP-AC-HD. You might just be inclined to give up and just get rid of these old things once you see how well the later generation hardware performs in comparison.

I left it overnight - no dice.

The link light stays up, although the centre light goes completely out.

Thanks you for being so thorough. It can only be my method for uploading the firmware that's at fault - I'll try and do it from a PC and see if it's any different.

Just repeated the process using a Windows TFTP client/server app and it came up with the Ubiquiti image.

Thank you for all the speedy help and input, very impressive!

Looks like the command line TFTP client on Mac I was using was the culprit.

Kudos: 2

Ho @FIngertipSol - just curious - why did you move away from Purple?  And, to what did you move to?  We're investigating an implementation of a Smart WiFi suite and would love to hear your thoughts.

Matt

Hi There,

By any chance, does somebody still have the referenced (now dead links) firmware Files for UAP Pro (https://dl.ubnt.com/custom/BZ.ar934x.v3.7.5.4969.160530.0015-ubntdual-16MB.bin)

As one of our APs died as well during upgrade, but could still do TFTP Recovery, but does not accept the files from Download-Area!

Invalid firmware image! Try the firmware image with *ubntdual*(e.g. BZ.ar934x.v.x.x-ubntdual-16MB.bin)

Thanx to all of You!

Kind Regards