Kudos: 1
Solutions: 1
Accepted Solution

Understanding Sonos and UniFi

I'm trying to understand the limitations of Sonos on UniFi. When I upgraded from my EdgeRouter X to the USG and US-8-60W, I decided to use the ER X behind the US-8-60W as a layer 2 switch in the attic for 3 wired SONOS speakers. Everything worked great with default settings (possibly with STP instead of RSTP on the USG, but I can't remember).

I recently decided to replace the ER X with a US-8-60W so I could both manage it remotely and power an AP outside. The ports associated with the SONOS devices were immediately blocked, and I had no success with setting both switches to STP and setting the priority of the primary to 4096 and the secondary to 8192, so back into the attic the little ER X went.

For the networking dummy, how does the ER X differ from the UniFi that allows it to handle SonosNet so much better? I noticed that unplugging the one SONOS device (Connenct) on the primary switch resolved the STP issues, but that's the one device I need wired (I have a line out from my HT receiver going to the Connect, and it has to be wired in order to avoid compression and the resulting delay).

Anything I can do other than running more Cat6 from the Sonos Connect to the secondary switch or waiting for this feature?

Capture.PNG

Accepted Solutions

Re: Understanding Sonos and UniFi

[ Edited ]

No luck with either of those suggestions. I went ahead and and rearranged everything so that all wired SONOS speakers come off the secondary switch. The priority of the primary switch is 4096, and the priority of the secondary switch is 8192. Both are using STP rather than RSTP. No switch ports blocked anymore.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Capture5.PNG

View solution in original post

All Replies
Kudos: 3006
Solutions: 810

[ Edited ]

Hello @maxamiller,

Are you using RSTP or STP?

Could you describe the exact issue?

Do you have mDNS turned on?

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-4-PRO • USG
USW-48-500W • USW-24-POE-250W 2x • USW-16-POE-150W 3x • USW-24 • USW-8-150W • USW-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M
UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK
Established Member
Kudos: 658
Solutions: 204

If all your players are wired shut off the radio on them. (under room settings for each player)

Right now your Connect that is plugged into the 8-60 closest to the USG is telling the other players that it has a total lower priority using SonosNET -> switch than the player's ethernet-> switch ->switch.

You could also set the STP priority on the switches the same, the players *should* prefer the wired connection then.

[ Edited ]

No luck with either of those suggestions. I went ahead and and rearranged everything so that all wired SONOS speakers come off the secondary switch. The priority of the primary switch is 4096, and the priority of the secondary switch is 8192. Both are using STP rather than RSTP. No switch ports blocked anymore.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Capture5.PNG