Highlighted
Solutions: 1
Accepted Solution

UniFi AC In-Wall Pro Data Ports

Good morning,

I am getting ready to install several UAP-AC-IW-PRO units and had a question about the two data ports:  One reads, "Data + PoE Out" and the other reads "Data Only".  My question is if it is safe to connect two non-PoE clients downstream from the AP or am I limited to one connection on the non-PoE port?  I checked the settings within the UniFi Controller and I don't see a way to turn on PoE on that first port.  So, either it is safe to connect and the AP will sense that PoE is not required or it is not possible and I risk damaging any non-PoE downstream device connected to that port.

I was hoping someone out there knew the answer.

Thank you,

Erik

Accepted Solutions
Kudos: 219
Solutions: 75

Re: UniFi AC In-Wall Pro Data Ports

Greetings,

I recall reading when I purchased my only UAP-IW-AC - that the POE negotiation when a device is plugged into the POE port of the IW is done by the device plugged in and not the IW (IW does its own negotiation with the switch when nothing is plugged in), thus if a non-POE device is plugged in to the POE port of the IW, the switch will no longer provide POE to the IW and everything goes down. 

I found these:

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/214120788-UniFi-UAP-IW-Shuts-Down

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/Using-both-ethernet-ports-on-UAP-AC-IW-with-non-POE-equ...

I don't know if this applies to the UAP-AC-IW-Pro as well.

My AC-IW is installed at another family member's house at the moment so I don't have one around here to test out.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Established Member
Kudos: 572
Solutions: 73

Hi. You can plug in two non-PoE clients if you wish. It will auto negotiate power if needed.
Kudos: 4540
Solutions: 1182

[ Edited ]

Hello @ErikM1970,

I believe there isn't and issue with plugging a non PoE device into the UAP AC IW.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK
Kudos: 219
Solutions: 75

Greetings,

I recall reading when I purchased my only UAP-IW-AC - that the POE negotiation when a device is plugged into the POE port of the IW is done by the device plugged in and not the IW (IW does its own negotiation with the switch when nothing is plugged in), thus if a non-POE device is plugged in to the POE port of the IW, the switch will no longer provide POE to the IW and everything goes down. 

I found these:

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/214120788-UniFi-UAP-IW-Shuts-Down

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/Using-both-ethernet-ports-on-UAP-AC-IW-with-non-POE-equ...

I don't know if this applies to the UAP-AC-IW-Pro as well.

My AC-IW is installed at another family member's house at the moment so I don't have one around here to test out.

Thank you all for the prompt feedback.  I really appreciate it.

Kudos: 4540
Solutions: 1182

[ Edited ]

Hello @ErikM1970,

I just tested it out for you and you can plug a non PoE device into the DATA+PoE port on a UAP AC IW. ( The Non PoE device is an laptop )

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK
Screenshot_1.png

Thank you for the validation.  I appreciate the extra steps.