Re: UniFi AP-AC-LR will not upgrade firmware

This worked for me! Thanks a bunch!
Kudos: 8
Solutions: 1

@CLSnetAdmin wrote:
I realize this is a bit old, but I had the same issue today - hopefully this will help someone else. We have some pretty strict DNS filtering and never have issues upgrading firmware on Unifi equipment, but for some reason v4.0.15.9872 would not update on a handful of UAPs & UAP-LRs we have hanging around. I tried at least 10 times, factory reset, etc...etc... I found that I went to the controller settings --> Maintenance and I check for firmware updates and then I cached the firmware for the UAP that I was having trouble with. As soon as I did that, every AP we were having trouble with updated the firmware on the first try. This worked for us without having to change any network settings on the APs having issues.

This worked for me. THANKS!

I tried that and my AP HD is still stuck on the 3.7 version.  Cache, delete, repeat, force provision, custom link upgrade, factory reset, forget, re-adopt.  Nothing.  Nothing is working.  What else can I do?

Established Member
Kudos: 253
Solutions: 90

@CobraCommander
I would forget on controller, factory reset, upgrade via SSH (remember to use http and not https), and then re-adopt on controller.
If that doesn't work, then the only solution would be TFTP:
https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204910124-UniFi-TFTP-Recovery-for-Bricked-Access-Points
Kudos: 4494
Solutions: 1167

Hello @CobraCommander,

That you tried the following via a SSH session?

curl <firmware_binary_link_location> -o /tmp/fwupdate.bin

syswrapper.sh upgrade2 &

or

wget <firmware_binary_link_location> -O /tmp/fwupdate.bin

syswrapper.sh upgrade2 &

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK

I don't have any experience with Computer Information Systems.  I have downloaded Putty for SSH but not sure what to do from there.  If you can give me step by step programming examples, perhaps I can give it a try.

Hello @CobraCommander,

Enter the IP of the UAP in the hostname or IP address field in putty.

Then use the credentials in the controller if the UAP was already adopted

Settings > Site > Device Authentication

That you run the commands, replace <firmware_binary_link_lcation> with the firmware binary link location.

I can send the the binary link locations if you let me know the exact model UAP.

Regards,
Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x

Ok, when I open Putty, I enter the Unifi AP HD IP address.  Then it asks to "Login as:" and I used the info from Settings>Site>Device Authentication. It takes the Login it, but after I enter the password, I get access denied.  I am using the default settings.  Should I change the Username and password to something else or am I doing something wrong???  I did notice when I enter the password, the curser indicator does not move nor does it show what I am typing.  

Ok, now I see what I did wrong.  I got the capital "i" mixed up with the number 1.  After entering the correct password, I was able to get in.  I then entered help and it gave me the list of codes to use.  I entered upgrade followed cut and paste of the link to the model of my AP off the Ubiquiti website.  I was careful to change the HTTPS to HTTP and after 4 months, I finally got it to accept the new firmware update.  Thanks guys, finally someone who could help me!!!

My last question is, will I have to do this process for this AP for every firmware update or should it now start to be able to update via the controller as my other ubiquiti devices??

Established Member
Kudos: 253
Solutions: 90

@CobraCommander
Great you got it working. You only need to do manual intervention, when the normal controller upgrade procedure doesn't work.

Hello @CobraCommander,

Awesome, glad I was able to help Man Happy

Regards,

Glenn R.

Wish this was marked as answer. Thanks @CLSnetAdmin

I have same experience and I want to share how I can upgrade firmware successfully.

My AP model = UAP

current fm version = 3.7.21.5389  (trying to upgrade to 4.0.15.9872)

Before starting the procress check the below URL 

http://dl.ubnt.com/unifi/firmware/BZ2/4.0.15.9872/BZ.ar7240.v4.0.15.9872.181229.0259.bin

If you cannot download bin file, you need to check latest firmware file at 

https://www.ui.com/download/unifi/unifi-ap/uap (UAP is my model)

Here are steps.

Go to Unifi Network Controller -> Devices and check your AP

Then your AP device will successfully upgrade to newer version.

Happy Now?

[ Edited ]

Hello @winthanhtut,

Welcome to the community!

I recommend upgrading in steps in the future.

3.7.21 > 3.7.58 > 3.9.54 > 4.0.30

You can also use one of the upgrade commands below.

curl <fimware_binary_link_location> -o /tmp/fwupdate.bin && fwupdate.real -m &
wget <fimware_binary_link_location> -O /tmp/fwupdate.bin && fwupdate.real -m &
syswrapper.sh upgrade2 &
syswrapper.sh upgrade2 &

Regards,

Glenn R.

[ Edited ]

Thank you so much. It is very helpful. I can't find these old firmware before. I will use your methods for rest of my APs.

[ Edited ]

@winthanhtut

I am very happy now, but your a couple months late. Already figured out the putty process. Since then I have sold the AP that was giving me issues which I used as a spare anyways.

Highlighted

Hi I have a problem with AP LR not accessable from the control panel. Seems to be stuck in a loop of upgrading from 3.7.5.4969. Have done hard reset and it goes off then flicks yellow and then turns green but controller says it is not accessable while downloading and upgrading.

[ Edited ]

Hello @Inky,

Green means it' already adopted and configured, hold the reset button for 10 seconds...

Than SSH into the UAP and upgrade it straight to 4.0.30 ( HTTP URL ), with one of the upgrade commands below.

curl <fimware_binary_link_location> -o /tmp/fwupdate.bin && fwupdate.real -m &
wget <fimware_binary_link_location> -O /tmp/fwupdate.bin && fwupdate.real -m &
syswrapper.sh upgrade2 &
syswrapper.sh upgrade2 &

Regards,

Glenn R.