UniFi AP-LR does not work without a controller

There are 3 UniFi AP-LR points.
Controller version: Controller Version UI 5.8.28.0 Backend 5.8.28 Build atag_5.8.28_11052

The points were with firmware 3.2.10.2886, but I decided to update one of the three UniFi and the version became 3.9.54.9373

Previously, if the controller was unavailable, Wifi continued to work: guest network and main wiriless network work, but access to the Internet through guest work in this case without a guest portal

Now, when the controller is unavailable: the point is the most dot with the updated firmware stops broadcasting the network and flashes.

This is very bad, because sometimes the controller in my network can actually be unavailable.

Is it possible to make the point with the updated firmware work despite the inaccessibility of the controller? Or should I do downgrade?

screenshot.png
Veteran Member
Kudos: 1358
Solutions: 236

Re: UniFi AP-LR does not work without a controller

@EineFrage Welcome to these forums.

Do you have “Uplink Connectivity Monitor” enabled? If you’re not using wireless uplink this option can be disabled.

Art of WiFi
Check out our UniFi API browser tool on GitHub. The PHP API client which it uses, can be found here on GitHub.
The thread on our UniFi Device Search tool can be found here, also check out our Captive Portal solutions for UniFi.

OK! she really was enabled. I Check how it will work if I turn it off. I hope AP can work autonomously. thank you!

SuperUser
Kudos: 4669
Solutions: 1058

That should do the trick, @slooffmaster pipped me to the reply in first instance but that was my answer to your query.

UK Comms & Links Engineer.

Come on you lot, Feel free to 'Mark as Solution' At least click the Kudos button. Thanks.

Top Solution Authors Leaderboard
Kudos: 4558
Solutions: 1186

[ Edited ]

Hello @EineFrage,

Welcome to the community!

Glad you found your answer already!

You may want to take steps in the firmware versions instead of updating straight to the latest.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK

I checked this setting. Now it is disabled. But the problem still persists.

Hello @EineFrage,

Could you post your system config?

Settings > Maintenance > Support Info > Show System Config

What exactly stops working?

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x

When the controller becomes unavailable, both Wifi networks disappear (main and guest) from the broadcast, the AP itself starts blinking.This happens with 192.168.0.143 after updating the firmware.

systemConfig.png

Hello @EineFrage,

Thats strange... Shouldn't happen after disabling the Uplink Connectivity Monitor

Could you try to upgrade the controller to 5.8.30?

Here are also some recommendations for the radio settings.

2.4 GHz
Channel width: HT20
Chanel: 1/6/11 | Choose one of these channels, a RF scan will help you choose the most clean one.
Transmit Power: Low/Medium

Regards,

Glenn R.

Hi!

We have exact the same problem with the same APs and same firmware!

Controller software is the latest version (downloaded yesterday).

When we stop the controller software, the WLan stops working.

The APs broadcasting the SSIDs for 30-45 seconds. When you try to connect, then it doesnot work and after the 30-45 seconds the SSIDs (Main and Guest) are dissapearing for 30-60 seconds. This is a repeating schema.

When we start the controller software, everything works like a charme.

Is there a solutions for this problem? It looks like it is a firmware problem.

Best regards,

Chris

Hello @xcITs,

Welcome to the community!

Could you share the exact firmware versions?

Do you have the Uplink Connectivity Monitor disabled?

Settings > Site > Uplink Connectivity Monitor

Regards,

Glenn R.

Hi!

Thanks! After changing this settings twice (first I turned it off and waited for provisioning but nothing changed, so I turned it on again, off again und restarted the APs) it works!

Best regards,

Christian

My last post was to early :-(.

After closing the controller software everything seemed ok, but after a while I noticed degraded performance of the clients because all clients (approx. 40) where connected to one and the same AP (name it "A") (we have 3 AP in this configuration)!

Also, clients which were very near (few meters) of one of the other AP ("B" and "C") didn't change the AP. So, there was no hand-off from AP "A" to the other APs!

When I started the controller software, then slowly the clients moved to the other APs ("B" and "C").

When I turn off the controller software every client goes back to AP "A"!

Whey the heck isn't this working when the controller software ist turned off?

Also some strange behavior is, when I start the controller and quickly start the browser, the APs ("B" and "C") are mostly showing "Adopting" and "Adoption failed". When I turn this APs on and off (unplug/plug them in the wall), the go back to "Connected".

Any help or suggestion would be great!

Thx!

SuperUser
Kudos: 4669
Solutions: 1058

[ Edited ]

We'd really need to know the detail of your setup to comment further.

Start a new thread with specifics

UK Comms & Links Engineer.

Come on you lot, Feel free to 'Mark as Solution' At least click the Kudos button. Thanks.

Top Solution Authors Leaderboard

Hello @xcITs,

How do you know that clients aren't roaming?

Do you have fast roaming enabled?

Could you give us more details?

Regards,

Glenn R.

Hi Glenn!

>>  How do you know that clients aren't roaming?

That is very easy.

I take e.g. a laptop and put it e.g. near AP "A".

I start the controller software and I see that the laptop is connect to AP "A".

When I put the laptop near (~ 1-2m) to AP "B" I see that the laptop connects after short period to AP "B".

Then I put back the laptop to "A" and it conntects to "A".

After this I disable the controller software and put the laptpo back to "B" (same place as before).

Waiting some minutes (!) and then I start the controller Software and I see the laptop is still connectd to "A" (instead of "B" what worked seamless when the controller software was running!).

>> Do you have fast roaming enabled?

No. Double-Checked for the main and guest WLan.

>>Could you give us more details?

1 Switch (HPE OfficeConnect 1820) - no special settings, no firewall.

All three APs (AP-LR) connected via the PoE adapter to the switch.

Server is connected to the same switch.

I reseted all AP last friday to factory defaults and installed the controller software on a complete new computer.

UI 5.9.29.0, Backend 5.9.29, Build atag_5.9.29_11384
Firmware on all AP: 3.9.54.9373
Distance between each AP apporx. 20m - 25m with walls (bricks) between.
I changed no settings in the controller software except the SSID names of the main and guest network (during wizard phase) and the "Uplink Connectivity Monitor" setting.
That's it. 

Best regards,
Christian

[ Edited ]

Hello @xcITs,

After you start the controller again it takes time for it to update the stats.

Regards,

Glenn R.

I know. But when the controller is not started I seen on the laptop a very degraded network performance because it is still conntect to "A" instead of "B". Great performance when the laptop is connected to "B". It is a fact that the laptop connects to the wrong AP and does not roam.

Any other suggestions?

Best regards,

Christian

Hello @xcITs,

Strange.... Could you try to implement minimum RSSI?

Regards,

Glenn R.

Here also the same problem with an Unifi AP-LR with latest firmware and controller software

Disabled wireless uplink but that not fixed it