UniFi AP Provisioning Loop after Firmware Upgrade

I hope this helps someone out there.  I run a UniFi contoller on a Windows server.  A few weeks ago, we noticed that when we upgraded AP's they would continually provision.  We have redundant WAN connections and i have a redundant A record that points to the connections.  From the outside when you would ping the controler address, the IP would change between connections.  Once i removed the redundant record, the APs stopped the provisioning loop.  The issue did not surface until the new 4.0.x firmware for the AP's.  I did add the second record back to DNS and the problem presented itself again.  We host a controller for our customers.  All of the APs our outside of the controllers network.

Kudos: 4494
Solutions: 1167

Re: UniFi AP Provisioning Loop after Firmware Upgrade

Hello @grahamr84,

UniFi Devices can only be adopted to 1 controller.

Regards,

Glenn R.

Cloud Hosted Controllers | Glenn R. | UniFi Installation/Easy Update Scripts | UniFi-Video Installation Scripts | UniFi-VoIP Installation Scripts
USG-XG-8 • USG-4-PRO • USG
US-XG-16 • US-48-500W • US-24-POE-250W 2x • US-16-POE-150W 3x • US-24 • US-8-150W • US-8
UAP XG • UAP-SHD • UAP-HD • UAP-NanoHD 2x • UAP-AC-PRO 2x • UAP-AC-LITE • UAP-AC-IW • UAP-AC-M • UAP-AC-M-PRO 2x
UAS-XG • UCK-G2-PLUS • UCK-G2 • UCK

An update to the problem.  We were continuing to have problems with the older UniFi AP-LR devices after the latest firmware updates.  The issues start after 4.0.x firmware updates.  The AP's do not go into a provisioning loop, they just reboot.  If you start a constant ping, after 2 minutes or so you will lose the ping.  Defaulted multiple times, created new sites and moved them, etc.  This was only happening in a very specific situation.  The sites with issues all had AP-LR access points and the guest portal was active for voucher based authentication.  If you disable the guest portal, the problem went away.  I talked with chat support and they suggested that i uncheck "Enable connectivity monitor and wireless uplink" in site settings.  They stated that this should only be used if wireless uplink devices are in place, all our ap's are hard wired.  Once i unchecked the box, the AP's became stable.  This box is enabled by default for a new site.  I hope this helps someone.  I have been fighting this for weeks.

Highlighted

We are only running 1 controller with about 300 ap's and 170 sites.  I setup round robin DNS to help if there was an ISP outage.  The problem is if the AP sees the public ip change, they provision.  The provison problem has gone away after removing the redundant record.  If you look at the json config file from an AP, they is an inform_ip and inform_url settiing.  It must rely on both.