Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Accepted Solution

UniFi AP speed

Hello there,

I recently purchased two UniFi APs to provide WiFi to my home network. Both APs are connected via a switch (two seperate switches) to a 100Mbps internet connection.

While my PC (hooked up to one of the switches) is getting ~90Mbps all my mobile devices get only ~1-2 Mbps!! They report signal strengths of 95%+ when performing the tests so it seems unlikely to me that the issue is signal related. These low speeds occur on both APs which are operating at different channels (1 and 11, but also tried 3 and 8 respectively).

In the controller both APs show a wired uplink speed of 100 Full Duplex which seems ok to me. In addition it also shows 0% TX/RX errors and dropped, which also seems good (but I'm no expert). The APs are using the latest version (3.2.1.2601)

Do you have any hints on how I can narrow down what is going on here? I've read similar messages where people are advised to look at their switches/routers, but since my PC is hooked up to the same plain 'ol 1Gbps switch I don't see how this can be the problem (especially since the controller also reports the wired connection is operating at 100 Mb Full Duplex)

I'm really at a loss here, so any help figuring out what's going on would be great...

PS: I've tried changing the channels, switching between HT20 and HT40, turning on/off all sorts of encryption, restarting the devices and altering transmitting power, but all to no avail. I made sure there's no bandwidth limits set.

Accepted Solutions
Kudos: 104
Solutions: 10

Re: UniFi AP speed

[ Edited ]

From your remark #1 it seems your router supports multiple segments (vlans)  If so then it should be possible using smart/managed switches that support vlans to isolate your traffic that way while running over the same wire to different locations in your home.

What router do you have and I should be able to look up the model and then we could work through how to isolate your iptv traffic from the rest of your network.

Also what is the models of the switches your working with?

It might also be possible depending on your switches to just turn on igmp snooping (blocks multicast) and then set the multicast members to only the ports connected to your router and tvs - this way the multicast would not go out the ports connected to your APs and in turn out your wireless network

I do believe its possible using the ebtables on the AP to do this as well -- something like

ebtables -A FORWARD -o "interface to block" --pkttype-type multicast -j DROP

I do know that ebtables is on the unifi APs - just not sure what its current settings are, etc.  But I do know its possible to manipulte them directly, even when no such setting exist in the controller gui, etc.

Controller: 5.7.10 (Ubuntu VM 14.04.5 on esxi 6.5)
Wireless: AP AC-Pro | AP AC-LR | AP AC-Lite | 3.9.15.8011

View solution in original post

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 3438
Solutions: 903
Contributions: 17

[ Edited ]

First, I just want to point out that you're not going to get 100mbps on your WiFi with a standard UAP.  A Pro or AC would be required for getting close to that and you'll most likely have to step up to 40MHz channels to get it, which will suck up more of the 2.4GHz spectrum, which is already fairly tight.

As for your ebtables interface, you'll most likely want to do it on the ath[x] interface.  Where x = the interface that was created for that SSID.  If you only have one SSID, it would be ath0.  If you're unsure, SSH in to the UAP and issue:

cat /tmp/system.cfg | grep ssid;  cat /tmp/system.cfg | grep devname | grep wireless

You'll be looking for lines that say something to the effect of wireless.1.ssid= as well as wireless.1.devname=.  Whichever SSID you want, grab the wireless.number.ssid and look for the same wireless.number.devname, whatever comes after the = sign is your interface.

For your config.properties file, this information gets pushed to the UAPs' /tmp/system.cfg file, so you can do (from SSH on the UAP):

cat /tmp/system.cfg | grep ebtables

Then grab the last ebtables.number.cmd number.  You'll want to add one to this when putting in your config.properties file, it just increments.

robba wrote:

Hi John,

Thanks again for the quick reply. Im not 100% certain what model router it is, but when loggin into it it says "Arcadyan VGV7519". Considering that it comes with the Internet/Tv subscription I have very low expectations as to it's management features though.

Since the switches in the building are all cheap unmanaged switches my guess is that setting a filter in the AP is probably the easiest thing to do. This post on your forums describes how ebtable records can be added to the UniFi AP using the config.properties file on the controller:

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi/UniFi-ebtables-rules/m-p/600337#M48533

Combining that post with the details of your last post I'd guess I needed to add the following line to the config.properties file:

ebtables.44.cmd=-A FORWARD -o "interface to block" --pkttype-type multicast -j DROP

^ - Let's say the last ebtables rule in your system.cfg file is this, #44, you would put in your config.properties file ebtables.45.cmd

I've highlighted in bold the things I'm unsure of. In the post mentioned above he uses a number 44, but I have no idea what that does. You mention an interface to block, what do I enter here? The name of the interface I'm blocking? Which one is that, the ethernet interface or the wireless interface?

Finally, the knowledgebase article linked below provides a slightly different way to set the ebtables records using the config file:

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Frequently-Asked-Questions/UniFi-Can-I-make-persistent-changes-t...

I assume one of them is the correct format, do you know which one? In addition, in this example there is also a numeric value in the key of the property (ea config.system_cfg.1=ebtables.1.cmd). Should I just use 1 for the

^ - If you have no other config.system_cfg rules in your config. properties file, then yes, this should be 1.  For the ebtables.#.cmd you would do the incremement as noted earlier in this quote, i.e. ebtables.45.cmd

first rule or can that potentionally overwrite the default first command?

Sorry for taking up so much of your time, I really appreciate your help, hopefully this rather lenghty dialog helps a future visitor.

Edit: Getting these to line up properly is a real pain.  Sorry for the multiple emails if you're getting them.

Many Questions are Answered in the KnowledgeBase
Don't forget to kudo helpful posts and mark threads as solved
Forum Rules

View solution in original post

All Replies
Ubiquiti Employee

Hi robba!

How are you determining that the mobile devices are getting 1-2mbps?  Have you tried an iperf test from the Desktop computer?

Forum Rules

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the quick reply. At present I've only tried measuring the speed using speedtest apps on my cellphone and (Windows) desktop. I'll take a look at iperf once I get home.

One thing I did notice however yesterday, and it's a complete mystery how this can be, but once my wife turned of the IP TV receiver box WiFi speeds suddenly went up to much more acceptable levels (still no 100Mbps, but around 35ish, which may or may not be expected on a cellphone). Turning the box back on drops my connection speed again considerably.

I've attached a quick and dirty layout of the network involved. It turns out that any time I turn on either of the two IP TV boxes my WiFi speeds drop to 1-2 Mbps. Note that my Wired speeds seem unaffected whether I turn on the box or not.

Since I'm hardly a network expert, I have no idea how this is even possible nor what network component I should replace (if any) and with what... So if you have any theories as to what could cause this behavior, or what further steps I can take to diagnose this, it'd surely be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Lan.png

Its quite possible your IPTV units are using multicast which will just drown out your wifi on the same segment.  Isolate your IPTVs to their own network segment.

I would have to look to see if unifi has write up on blocking this sort of traffic, but there is write up about it that might give you an idea of the problem

http://nerdboys.com/2012/01/22/how-to-block-igmp-multicast-flood-on-a-wlan-when-watching-telus-optik...

This would be my guess.  Simple fix is just segment your network so that your IPTV boxes are on their own segment vs your other devices and wireless.

Thanks John, this article surely confirms that I'm not just crazy and why it was to be expected that my wired network doesn't suffer the same way when my IP TV box is switched on.

So apparently my options are to either segment my network or to filter the traffic, two things I didn't mention when writing my previous post:

1. The TV company recommends setting up a separate physical network for the IP TV boxes and putting them on a different port (port #3) on the internet router.
  2. I didn't do that because all the lines from the first switch hooked to my internet router in my (not so amazing) image are embedded in the walls of my house :s so it's not very easy for me to create a second network except for pulling new cables (which I really would prefer to avoid)

The article you mentioned describes the procedure with which you can perform the multicast filtering in the WiFi access points. If you could ask around if there is a way to do that in the UniFi AP that'd be great. If not, if there's any way you can think of I could 'virtually' segment the network while using only the one cable between the two switches on the ground floor I'd love to hear it. 

Thanks again

[ Edited ]

From your remark #1 it seems your router supports multiple segments (vlans)  If so then it should be possible using smart/managed switches that support vlans to isolate your traffic that way while running over the same wire to different locations in your home.

What router do you have and I should be able to look up the model and then we could work through how to isolate your iptv traffic from the rest of your network.

Also what is the models of the switches your working with?

It might also be possible depending on your switches to just turn on igmp snooping (blocks multicast) and then set the multicast members to only the ports connected to your router and tvs - this way the multicast would not go out the ports connected to your APs and in turn out your wireless network

I do believe its possible using the ebtables on the AP to do this as well -- something like

ebtables -A FORWARD -o "interface to block" --pkttype-type multicast -j DROP

I do know that ebtables is on the unifi APs - just not sure what its current settings are, etc.  But I do know its possible to manipulte them directly, even when no such setting exist in the controller gui, etc.

Hi John,

Thanks again for the quick reply. Im not 100% certain what model router it is, but when loggin into it it says "Arcadyan VGV7519". Considering that it comes with the Internet/Tv subscription I have very low expectations as to it's management features though.

Since the switches in the building are all cheap unmanaged switches my guess is that setting a filter in the AP is probably the easiest thing to do. This post on your forums describes how ebtable records can be added to the UniFi AP using the config.properties file on the controller:

Combining that post with the details of your last post I'd guess I needed to add the following line to the config.properties file:

ebtables.44.cmd=-A FORWARD -o "interface to block" --pkttype-type multicast -j DROP

I've highlighted in bold the things I'm unsure of. In the post mentioned above he uses a number 44, but I have no idea what that does. You mention an interface to block, what do I enter here? The name of the interface I'm blocking? Which one is that, the ethernet interface or the wireless interface?

Finally, the knowledgebase article linked below provides a slightly different way to set the ebtables records using the config file:

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Frequently-Asked-Questions/UniFi-Can-I-make-persistent-changes-t...

I assume one of them is the correct format, do you know which one? In addition, in this example there is also a numeric value in the key of the property (ea config.system_cfg.1=ebtables.1.cmd). Should I just use 1 for the first rule or can that potentionally overwrite the default first command?

Sorry for taking up so much of your time, I really appreciate your help, hopefully this rather lenghty dialog helps a future visitor.

Ubiquiti Employee

[ Edited ]

First, I just want to point out that you're not going to get 100mbps on your WiFi with a standard UAP.  A Pro or AC would be required for getting close to that and you'll most likely have to step up to 40MHz channels to get it, which will suck up more of the 2.4GHz spectrum, which is already fairly tight.

As for your ebtables interface, you'll most likely want to do it on the ath[x] interface.  Where x = the interface that was created for that SSID.  If you only have one SSID, it would be ath0.  If you're unsure, SSH in to the UAP and issue:

cat /tmp/system.cfg | grep ssid;  cat /tmp/system.cfg | grep devname | grep wireless

You'll be looking for lines that say something to the effect of wireless.1.ssid= as well as wireless.1.devname=.  Whichever SSID you want, grab the wireless.number.ssid and look for the same wireless.number.devname, whatever comes after the = sign is your interface.

For your config.properties file, this information gets pushed to the UAPs' /tmp/system.cfg file, so you can do (from SSH on the UAP):

cat /tmp/system.cfg | grep ebtables

Then grab the last ebtables.number.cmd number.  You'll want to add one to this when putting in your config.properties file, it just increments.

robba wrote:

Hi John,

^ - Let's say the last ebtables rule in your system.cfg file is this, #44, you would put in your config.properties file ebtables.45.cmd

I assume one of them is the correct format, do you know which one? In addition, in this example there is also a numeric value in the key of the property (ea config.system_cfg.1=ebtables.1.cmd). Should I just use 1 for the

^ - If you have no other config.system_cfg rules in your config. properties file, then yes, this should be 1.  For the ebtables.#.cmd you would do the incremement as noted earlier in this quote, i.e. ebtables.45.cmd

first rule or can that potentionally overwrite the default first command?

Edit: Getting these to line up properly is a real pain.  Sorry for the multiple emails if you're getting them.

Forum Rules

You guys are awesome... and apparently never sleep Man Wink

I'll give this a try when I get back home and let you know how everthing went.

Thanks again

[ Edited ]

Just thought I'd let you know, adding the ebtables entries to my access points solved the slow connection issue while my IP TV box is turned on. Thanks again for all the help, it has made all the difference!

One final thing to note though, Matt mentioned iperf in one of the earlier posts. I installed iperf on my Android phone and my pc on either side of the WiFi access point and got to the following numbers:

------------------------------------------------------------
Server listening on TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 64.0 KByte (default)
------------------------------------------------------------
[256] local 192.168.2.9 port 5001 connected with 192.168.2.3 port 41671
[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
[256]  0.0-10.0 sec  60.8 MBytes  50.8 Mbits/sec
[280] local 192.168.2.9 port 5001 connected with 192.168.2.3 port 41672
[280]  0.0-10.0 sec  57.8 MBytes  48.3 Mbits/sec
[276] local 192.168.2.9 port 5001 connected with 192.168.2.3 port 41674
[276]  0.0-10.0 sec  56.9 MBytes  47.6 Mbits/sec
[252] local 192.168.2.9 port 5001 connected with 192.168.2.3 port 41675
[252]  0.0-10.0 sec  58.4 MBytes  48.9 Mbits/sec
[256] local 192.168.2.9 port 5001 connected with 192.168.2.3 port 41676
[256]  0.0-10.0 sec  55.6 MBytes  46.6 Mbits/sec

Should I be getting ~45-50Mbit/sec? It seems a bit slow so I worry I still have something setup incorrectly. The model comparison at http://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap/ states that the regular UAP gets 300Mbps throughput on the 2.4GHz band.

I am aware of the duplex marketing stuff behind that, so when taking WiFi overhead into account, I should be expecting at most 100Mbit/sec, but whatever channel I'm trying I can't get anything past 50 on my Galaxy S4 smartphone.

Am I crazy for expecting higher speeds or are there just reasons for this speed to be the max?

Ubiquiti Employee

That's about on par.  300mbps is airspeed so even on 5GHz on the Pro, you won't see that.  It's an industry standard to list airspeed.  Is that 20MHz or 40MHz?

Forum Rules

That's with the radio set to Channel 6 HT40 (TX Auto).

You mention the Pro version which supports the 5GHz band, if ~45-50Mbit/sec is about on par for the regular UAP (I assume that's using HT40), what kind of speeds should I expect if I'd upgrade to a Pro? 

Should I even expect higher speeds or is the Pro mostly about better stability when more clients are involved?

Ubiquiti Employee

The max I've seen out of the UAP is ~55mbps.  The Pro I've seen north of 80mbps IIRC.  It's a substantial upgrade.

Forum Rules

45Mbps is pretty good if you ask me.. Much better than 1-2 Man Wink  And you don't have the pro so your 100mbit wired connection at best.  And would assume your still filling up the wired connection with your multicast as well since your not dropping it until the AP before it sends it over the wireless.

What do you get with iptv turned off and 40mhz channels..  You might be able to squeeze a few more Mbps out of it Man Wink

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1303
Solutions: 82

I have a policy - Use WiFi only as a last resort.

Connecting printers, Smart TVs, NAS wirelessly is only asking for trouble. If something doesn't move then connect it to the network using a cable. I also make sure that the internal network is at least Gigabit. If a device can't handle Gigabit,its on my dump list and it is directly connected to a switch that handles the step down..

If you live in a remote locastion, do not have mobile phones, DECT phones, microwave ovens, cordless   doorbells, baby alarms, etc - your WiFi will probably be reliable, otherwise...

I have used Wireless ISPs and had a grear experience, but never in a city. At the moment I have a terrific fibre connection, all my non-mobile devices are connected by cable and my mobilr devices use the 5 GHz band (lots of APs at the lowest possible signal strength). I can stream 1080p from mobile devices to TVs, if I need to. Doing that is only a convenience, the TVs can connect directly to the original feed.

One of the benefits of this policy is that I am rarely concerned with WiFi performance, and the corrolary is - my WiFi permorms really well.

R+C

Hi John,

You're absolutely right, ~45Mbps is much better than 1-2 and I'm not complaining. But because there is such a large difference between the 'spec' 150Mbps theoretical max throughput and the actual measured throughput I was merely wondering if there may still be something wrong or if this is just the max I should be expecting in practise.

In addition, because I just purchased the UAPs this week I can still send them back and get a full refund, allowing me to switch to the Pro if I wanted. 

While 45ish is ok for now, I'm unsure if it'll stay ok in the future. If however I shouldn't expect much better performance out of the Pro version there's no need for me to upgrade. Hence my questions here Man Happy

Thanks for taking the time to address my questions though

[ Edited ]

Where did you think you could get 150?  It has a 100mbit interface Man Wink

Because it says 300?  They all say that - that is the RAW theory bandwidth of the protocol.  Did you get 54mbps on your G wireless?  Are you running 40 mhz channels, is your client 2x2?  Or just 1x1? Is 400ns GI in use - or do you have G clients connected?

So again it has 100mbit wired interface, now max that is going to is say mid 90's

If you move to the pro you get 3x3 on 2G so yes in theory up to 450..  Are you clients 3x3?  That would be rare in a mobile client - PC card ok, but phone or laptop ??  So your still at max theory or 300. Now you could have more clients on the AP with the 3x3 sharing more bandwidth but if your looking for specific 1 client increase.  Do you have 3x3 cleints?  The 5G is only 2x2 on the pro..

Attached test is with AC 3x3 client, 80mhz channels..  Very happy with the peformance!!  I could squeeze a bit more out of it I am sure if I moved my antenna of the pc card out from under the desk and away from the monitors and switch, and modem, etc. But I only use that for playing with the AC protocol - I run a wire normally.

The pro is going to give you more features sure, so would the AC - why did you not go with the AC model? Man Wink

If what your looking for is wireless bandwidth - why don't you go with the AC model?  Again you need AC clients - with some basic testing I am seeing 56MBps on my AC currently.. That works out to about 450mbps..  If you looking to max out your 100mbps internet your going to want to go AC..

samesegmentnorouting.png

Where did you think you could get 150?  It has a 100mbit interface :manwink:
What I meant is that the specs say 300, but that's with the whole duplex thing making it 'only' 150 in either direction as a theoretical wifi maximum.

Because it says 300?  They all say that - that is the RAW theory bandwidth of the protocol.  Did you get 54mbps on your G wireless?  Are you running 40 mhz channels, is your client 2x2?  Or just 1x1? Is 400ns GI in use - or do you have G clients connected?
I got ~40mbps on a wireless connection with my phone (Samsung Galaxy S4) which according to the specs has Wi-Fi: 802.11a/b/g/n/ac HT80 I assume that means it supports 3x3 80mhz channels, but since the UAP (non pro) only goes to 2x2 40mhz channels I'm not quite sure what speed to expect.

So again it has 100mbit wired interface, now max that is going to is say mid 90's
Which still makes me wonder if the WiFi interface is max 150 (theoretically) minus let's assume 50% overhead which would make 75mbps, what causes the phone to get 'only' ~40mbps? Is it really all interference? It doesn't seem to matter what time of day I check, ~40-50 is the max

If you move to the pro you get 3x3 on 2G so yes in theory up to 450..  Are you clients 3x3?  That would be rare in a mobile client - PC card ok, but phone or laptop ??  So your still at max theory or 300. Now you could have more clients on the AP with the 3x3 sharing more bandwidth but if your looking for specific 1 client increase.  Do you have 3x3 cleints?  The 5G is only 2x2 on the pro..
I noticed that too, that the 5G on the Pro is only 2x2. If I get the Pro version, then why would I even want to use the 5GHz radio on the pro if it provides a much lower maximum speeds, shouldn't I just stay with the regular UAP then?

The pro is going to give you more features sure, so would the AC - why did you not go with the AC model? :manwink:
Mostly a pricing issue I'm afraid... the Pro version is already €100 more expensive each, the AC model is yet another €100 more expensive and there's no way I'm gonna get that past the budget committee... (read: wife)

I doubt your S4 can do anything over 1x1, since the S5 was the first AC to have 2x2 -- quick google comes across this http://wifinigel.blogspot.com/2013/05/samsung-s4-wifi-capabilities.html

that says max of the S4 in AC is 1x1 433mbps - so have to assume it only has 1x1 for N as well? So max with 40 is 150 raw.  But what was the data rate you were connected at when you did your iperf test.  What did the controller say your client was connected at, what did the client say you were connected at?

You really need to forget the marketing hype about raw data rates Man Wink  Your not going to get anywhere close to them in real world speeds..

I have the same budget committe to deal with Man Wink  I have the advantage of being in IT - so work related, and just say hey need to keep up with tech and study AC, etc Man Wink

You have a 1x1 wireless client with your phone - what about the rest of your wireless clients?  I don't see you gettng much faster..  45mbps with a 1x1 is pretty freaking rocking if you ask me! 

I meant 802.11n at 3x3. The Samsung specs (and the document you link to) talk about Supports 20, 40, and 80 MHz channels. Does this mean that it supports 3x3?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the speed, I'm just curious whether or not it is to be expected that a 2x2 access point gives me an iperf speed of maximum 50mbps and if not, what factors could be causing the lower speeds.

Considering the posts in this thread, I'm guessing it's not a crazy low speed, so now I'm just wondering what things I could possibly run into in the (near) future that make me wish I'd gone for a different AP before it's too late to return mine Man Happy

At this point there's no way I'm gonna spend $500 on two AC access points, so it's either sticking with the regular UAP or going for the pro. The two major differences between regular and Pro I can see are:

1. Support for 3x3 vs 2x2 on the 2.4GHz band
  2. Support for (2x2) 5GHz band

The first difference should give me a theoretical speed boost of 50% on the 2.4GHz band for devices that support 3x3. Devices that don't get no additional benefits from the Pro as far as I can tell.

For the second difference I'm unsure what it brings me. The 5GHz band doesn't seem to provide higher speeds and since there's not many devices connected in my WiFi network I wonder if the 5GHz band is going to benefit me at all.